You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who's your favourite stand up comedian?

23_Carra_Gold

I went and saw Jimeoin once and he was OK, but not hilarious.

Love Dylan Moran.  Paul Foot was the last one I went to at the Melbourne Comedy Festival and I found him most amusing.

Surely choosing dead people and people you've only seen on video doesn't count? 

Stand Up comedy is all about being in the room.

It preferable, sure. But we'd be talking about a severely limited number of comics then.

• 10 months later...

Carlin is one of those old comics where comedy evolution has stripped away most of the laugh out loud factor, in my opinion.

I find myself nodding along and agreeing with his angle on the majority of things I've heard him say rather than cracking up, which I'm not sure I've ever done to one of his routines.

One of the good guys though, and I bet heard in his heyday he was brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

After 36 years on the planet I went to see my first ever live stand up comedian on Friday night & then my second on Saturday night, not sure why but I've just never fancied it, the thought of them bombing has always been a worry. Anyway my mate was across for the Edinburgh Festival & booked the missus & me into a couple of shows in return for putting him up.

Friday night, Carl Donnelly - he spoke quite a lot about depression & stuff which was more interesting than funny, there were a couple of really funny bits & then he got his weird nipples out, which was weird. I ended up in the front row with my stripey flared keks on so he gets an extra point for not picking on me. 7/10

Saturday night, David O'Doherty - he was fucking brilliant from start to finish, had everyone pissing themselves for an hour, one woman behind me sounded like she was having an asthma attack, I would go back & see him next year & I'm up for going to see more live comedy now. 9/10 

Thankfully Reeves & Mortimer have added Edinburgh to their tour & I managed to get a couple of tickets to see them in January.

After 36 years on the planet I went to see my first ever live stand up comedian on Friday night & then my second on Saturday night, not sure why but I've just never fancied it, the thought of them bombing has always been a worry. Anyway my mate was across for the Edinburgh Festival & booked the missus & me into a couple of shows in return for putting him up.

Friday night, Carl Donnelly - he spoke quite a lot about depression & stuff which was more interesting than funny, there were a couple of really funny bits & then he got his weird nipples out, which was weird. I ended up in the front row with my stripey flared keks on so he gets an extra point for not picking on me. 7/10

Saturday night, David O'Doherty - he was fucking brilliant from start to finish, had everyone pissing themselves for an hour, one woman behind me sounded like she was having an asthma attack, I would go back & see him next year & I'm up for going to see more live comedy now. 9/10 

Thankfully Reeves & Mortimer have added Edinburgh to their tour & I managed to get a couple of tickets to see them in January.

Best comic I've seen for lung bursting laughs. Very, very good.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Went to see Dylan Moran tonight, not my choice but he was really funny and fucking steaming.

He called people who are full of life in the morning 'time parasites' which I thought was brilliant and which I'm also going to steal to impress people at school.

Would like to see him but he never does any DVDs or anything.

Don't bother looking him up on YouTube as there are only a couple of shite clips that do not do him justice.

He's doing a run of his new story telling show at the Everyman. It's only a tenner.

http://www.everymanplayhouse.com/whats-on/mouse-the-persistence-of-an-unlikely-thought