You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR - the poll

VAR - the poll   

123 members have voted

1. 1. VAR

• Fuck this shit off
    • I think it's just marvelous, keep it

VAR is the worst thing to happen to the sport of Football since it was created, it has completely destroyed the game.

Get it right to fuck, bury it, dig it up, drown it & then bury it again to make sure it is fucking dead.

• Upvote 8

Keep it but with modifications. 

- offsides: consider a “green grass” amendment, where there needs to be clearly visible grass/space between the two lines for it to be called as offside. So no more disallowed goals for a player being half a toe off, like the Coventry semi final goal. Or maybe adopt a point of play rule. Drawing the line from which part of the body the attacking player used to play the ball. For example, if a forward scores with his right foot, draw the line there, rather than seeing if his left sleeve was offside instead. 

- a time limit on reaching VAR decisions: it was introduced to rectify clear and obvious errors. So, give the VAR officials 90 seconds/2 minutes to reach a decision. If they can’t, then there’s an argument that the extra scrutiny needed beyond these time limits to identify any error precludes it from being a clear and obvious error. 

- monitors behind goals to allow speedy reviews of all penalty decisions: There’s been a few instances where the pundits have been surprised that the referee hasn’t been called over to the monitor with talk of a high threshold etc. Let referees check every penalty decision to ensure they’ve got it right. Maybe tie this in with a one challenge per half system for managers, limited to penalty and goal decisions only. 

I wouldn’t say it’s marvellous and keep it, I do think there is a place for it. 

The majority of supposed VAR issues stem from incorrect decisions being made on the pitch initially. No doubt, VAR should correct them, it’s not the root cause of the problem. 

The big calls with us this season…

* Mac Allister was red carded by the on field official v Bournemouth.

* VVD was red carded by the on field official v Newcastle. 

* Jones red card was upgraded by VAR’d at Spurs.

* Diaz was wrongly given offside on field by the linesman v Spurs.

* Ødegaard wasn’t penalised for his handball by the on field official. 

* Doku wasn’t penalised for his tackle by the on field official. 

All debatable decisions, with our pure LFC bias hats on, VAR only shafted us once there (Jones) the rest would have stood anyway via poor officiating (personally, I thought VVD was right to be sent off & I’m

50/50 on the Doku challenge). 

It simply needs to be used better. Officials need to be better. Better officials will mean better VAR. 

I think there should be greater tolerance on offside. I hate this forensic shit like we had on Monday night, build more of a tolerance, the majority of decisions will be quicker to establish as on or off. 

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

IMG_1526.png

I genuinely don't know any robust argument to keep it.

Is there a link to a non-paywall copy of the article. I'd be interested.

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

VAR is the worst thing to happen to the sport of Football since it was created, it has completely destroyed the game.

Get it right to fuck, bury it, dig it up, drown it & then bury it again to make sure it is fucking dead.

Just missing the fire part.

1 minute ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

- a time limit on reaching VAR decisions: it was introduced to rectify clear and obvious errors. So, give the VAR officials 90 seconds/2 minutes to reach a decision.

Two fucking minutes!!! Behave!

Just now, Jennings said:

Two fucking minutes!!! Behave!

Why not? That’s not for every decision, to clarify. If, for example, they can see an obvious handball within 15 seconds of watching the footage then make the decision there and then. But, two minutes would be the maximum they’d get. If they haven’t decided by then, the on pitch call stands. 

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

- offsides: consider a “green grass” amendment, where there needs to be clearly visible grass/space between the two lines for it to be called as offside.

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think there should be greater tolerance on offside.

I am gob smacked that people think it has a use in offsides. It's completely not fit for purpose. You can't just use when there's been a goal. If it can't instantaneously evaluate offside on every forward pass, then it is unfit for use.

It’s better in the CL. It’s better in international games.

Its our shite refs that are the problems. 

Those Forest v Everton penalties… none were given on pitch. VAR should have corrected at least one of them (the 3rd is the most blatant penalty IMO).

The root cause is bad officials. 

• Upvote 3

I am amazed it has lasted five years. There are absolutely zero benefits to it.

Hopefully we can all look back on this period like it was a bad fucking dream.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jennings said:

That's a massive problem. But it’s a completely different problem.

I don’t think so. I think they are linked. 

The examples I’ve given all ready in my 2 posts, only one was through VAR actually intervening, the other 7 were wrong call originally. 

You have incompetent bozo’s on the field, you have the same incompetent bozo’s on VAR. 

Just now, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Nailed on you’ll all be wanting it back on the first instance of us not getting a nailed on penalty next season. 

For me it is nothing to do with decisions going our way or any other way, it is the fundamental way we enjoy our sport, it has been altered in an extremely negative way. For all supporters & especially those who go to the games.

The cup games where we didn't have it were an absolute breath of fresh air, regardless of who was winning or what decisions went what way.

• Upvote 2

Well done Wolves, no surprise it's come from them either, the number of horrendous VAR calls that have gone against them this season is quite staggering. First day of the season Onana smashing into Kaladszjic, the decision to give Luton a pen when the ball hit his thigh onto his hand, the Kilman last min goal against West Ham that was ludicrously ruled out. One of the pens that went against them at Fulham when Cairney took a dive. Those are the 4 off the top of my head I remember because they were so bad but I know there's been more against them.

& we know full well how bad it's been for us, it genuinely can swing +/- 10 points or thereabouts for or against a team over a season and that can't happen. I know instances like Mac v Bournemouth receiving a straight red would've been so without VAR anyway, you still rely on it to pretty easily reverse that decision and it doesn't. That was the big turning point for me.

12 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Nailed on you’ll all be wanting it back on the first instance of us not getting a nailed on penalty next season. 

2 minutes ago, Binomial said:

Well done Wolves, no surprise it's come from them either, the number of horrendous VAR calls that have gone against them this season is quite staggering. First day of the season Onana smashing into Kaladszjic, the decision to give Luton a pen when the ball hit his thigh onto his hand, the Kilman last min goal against West Ham that was ludicrously ruled out. One of the pens that went against them at Fulham when Cairney took a dive. Those are the 4 off the top of my head I remember because they were so bad but I know there's been more against them.

& we know full well how bad it's been for us, it genuinely can swing +/- 10 points or thereabouts for or against a team over a season and that can't happen.

Its not about us. It's not about City...or Everton...or Utd...or anyone else. It's about football.