You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are you afraid of dying?

Thants

Well?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Here's a poll.

Well? Do you fear for your death or is it just the pain of death? Do you fear for the nothingness or are not bothered cos you expect not to know anything about it? Do you expect to wake up elsewhere?

For me I fear grief more than death. I don't think there's an afterlife and as long as I go relatively painless I don't fear it. I sometimes fear the time that is left.

Thoughts I had on the way to the cinema today after being with someone who's grandad passed away yesterday RIP.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not scared of dying, i just don't want to. theres no option that suits that sooo.... im not voting.

i'v been brought up to look at it as 'if the older people don't die theres no room for the new babies'. thats helped me a lot that, i got over my grandads dying pretty well.

i'm not scared of dying, i just don't want to. theres no option that suits that sooo.... im not voting.

i'v been brought up to look at it as 'if the older people don't die theres no room for the new babies'. thats helped me a lot that, i got over my grandads dying pretty well.

When you grow up you may understand and be allowed to vote.

I don't think about it really, like most people, I obviously don't want to die but at the same time I wouldn't want to live forever either. Lately though i get these 'moments' where the idea of death seems clearer to me than it ever has before.

Even if I'm watching a film where someone gets shot, whereas It's something I've never given a thought to before, sometimes it just sort of hits me and I think 'hang on, he's dead and won't ever come back! What the fuck!'

A 'short circuit' moment you could call it

No disassemble stephanie...

I think you can only be scared of dying if you associate it with the pain that may or may not be attached to it or if you believe in an afterlife where you may or may not be punished for things you may or may not have done..

I'm not scared for 2 reasons - I have a very high pain threshold and ultimately any pain will end and I have never done a single thing wrong not ever in my whole life so my after life will be all that and more!! Bring - it - on...

I don't think about it really, like most people, I obviously don't want to die but at the same time I wouldn't want to live forever either. Lately though i get these 'moments' where the idea of death seems clearer to me than it ever has before.

Even if I'm watching a film where someone gets shot, whereas It's something I've never given a thought to before, sometimes it just sort of hits me and I think 'hang on, he's dead and won't ever come back! What the fuck!'

A 'short circuit' moment you could call it

No disassemble stephanie...

I do the same,I think when Im dead,thats it,forever,gone..thats what scares the crap out of me.....oh shit another panic coming on !!!

It'd be a massive inconvenience for me as there are still things that I'd like to do and see and experience.

But I'm quite certain that there's nothing after death, and frankly, it doesn't scare me.

If I died tonight, I would also like to think that I've not done too badly with the opportunity I was given. So I'm actually feeling quite comfortable about it.

I dont think thats being scared of dying rather then being scared of not having lived!

That's a good point actually.

There's still a list of places I want to visit but can't afford to, and obviously having kids is something I want too. If i can experience these things and get to an age where my health is going and can physically squeeze no more enjoyment from life, I won't be that arsed then.

At this point though I've never seen New York and I don't know what it feels like to have my own baby smile at me, until I have these things I will be very scared of dying!

"Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no to-morrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace." - Oscar Wilde

I tend to agree with him. Just like going to sleep, a nice long kip. The thought of dying in pain worries me, not death itself.

*edit* Forgot to add, I'll live for ever. The meat/doll body might wither, but that's it. I know this from copious use of LSD. Huzzah for hallucinogens!

Bit of a coincidence, but my Grandad died yesterday too. 89, long life, I don't know if I want to live so long.

It happens to us all one day. I hope I can die with dignity - it's not the pain that bothers me as much as the thought I might end up unable to go the bog by myself and so on!

Above all I hope I can leave the world without the family being too upset, I hope they can get on with their lives after I've gone, whether I'm young or old.

Sorry to hear that mate, best wishes to you and yours...