You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are you afraid of dying?

Thants

Well?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Knut, please. "True dat" is quite obviously a phrase written in "Omar from The Wire" format. As if I'd stoop to text message drivel - I don't even own a mobile.

Admit it; you fell to temptation of raping the English language. Text message abbreviations or slang abbreviations; tomato tomato.

Where's the smilies?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it, there are 2 options. The first one being that there is an afterlife (which is my own personal belief), and the second that near death experiences are chemically induced. Worst case scenario is that the second is is the case, and after death there is nothingness. Even if this is true, the actual process of dying is a wonderful one. I was tired last night and didn't convey the actual enormity and wonder of this feeling.

I would go so far as to say that even if you'd lived 80 years of pure shit on earth, those few moments would more than make up for it. And even if there is no afterlife, I hope it brings comfort to those of you who've lost loved ones to know that when the end came, they weren't scared or in pain, and they actually died feeling more happiness and peace (and pride, I forgot to put that but there was a huge sense of "Yeah, I've done a great job") than they had ever experienced.

The reason we're frightened by death is our own ego. We don't like the thought that life will go on without us. When I had cancer, I was more scared that my kids would grow up and not be able to remember me than anything else. I know if anything happened to me they'd be looked after, but I hated the thought that I wouldn't have an influence on their lives, which is disgustingly control-freakish, but true. I was also scared that I'd wasted so many chances, and I might not get a chance to make up for it.

It's going to happen to us all eventually so make the most of what you have and don't take life for granted.

Thats a very sobering post , i hope your well now.

I dont agree that your control freaky or arrogant because you worry your kids wont remember you if anything happened to you , for me its only natural and its very important for your kids to remember the love that you have/ had for them.

I have 2 young kids and as my wife has already suffered from breast cancer at the very tender age of 23 , my deepest fear is that if anything happened to me where would my kids go if my wife got sick again . I just prey that we both hopefully live long enough until the children are old enough to understand death and cope with any loss.

Its funny that in all the time i have known my wife her illness has always been kept a secret from my family , and yet theres all the loonies on the GF know all about it now!

Yes Flathead, that's what it is. If these mediums where legit they would go through scientific testing etc, but they are not. I've been to one of the things you went to and I had to leave because I was so angry with it. They prey on desperate people, or on people who are desperate to communicate with people they have lost.

same goes for religion. biggest scam in the world today.

-some cunt (most probably a gayer) writes a book

-a load of divs fall for it and spread the word

-a tax man climbs a tree

-thousands of years of scientific evidence is built up to prove the book wrong

-millions of eediots STILL go every week and giv ethe bastards money in the hope of what ever they pray for.

my nan hasn't got much money, it says a lot when i (17 year old) buys her papers, milk and eggs considering she always used to be quite well off. she still manges to give these half arsed peado's a few quid a week. i would feel such a twat taking 2 quid from an old person, let alone taking it from millions of people week in week out. just goes to show that these people don't really think about the congregation, each individual priest may develope a friendship with certain members but the pope, in his gold car and whatever else he's got doesn't give a shit.

It's just a reasonable assumption based on the evidence. I'm happy with the idea of my life having no greater divine purpose than that of a goldfish and with the finality of mortality. I think most people are aware that I think people cling on to some desperate hope of an afterlife because they can't deal with the idea of death being final and there being no grand scheme.

fair enough, the available evidence does tend to point to that conclusion. Its just the odd unexplainable story you hear which has no obvious answer. Me next door neighbour went to a medium who told her (in front of her mates) that she'd had 3 kids, 1 of whom had died at a very young age. All her friends started rubbishing it until she told them she'd had an abortion when she was 14 and never told anyone. It really freaked her out as there was no way this medium could have known about it, she had major guilt issues over it for a long time.

Scares the shit out of me. I should add that death of other people has never affected me that much. It's upset me but I'v got on with things and I don't like remembering the date of when that person died.

yeah man, I always deliberately try to forget the dates, or nto to remember the dates of when people die.

Only ones I kno are me Dad and one of me Nans. I only remember that cos is was the day after me burfdee.

I work as a G.P. and am 35 next birthday. When you start med school, all your patients are significantly older than you, and their deaths don't really cause any mortal introspection.

However I am now getting to the age where I have serveral patients my own age who are dying/dead, or not much older at all.

And the introspection has started.

I shouldn't be scared- nearly every dead person I see looks so peaceful and content. And another thing - I am constantly amazed at how serene family members are when I attend a death. It seems to exude peace to all it touches.

I've had a really bad run with diagnosing cancer of late in youngish people, and I am actually a bit panicked about the final curtain now. However I am trying to roll with it a bit - and things I've wanted to do, but kept putting off to tomorrow I am now actually doing. In some ways, the thought of death has cured my own intrinsic laziness.

I'm not religious, but get some comfort in the fact that as my body decomposes, my atoms and being will become part of the cosmos. In millions of years from now, so alien somewhere may be looking at a super nova or some other galatic beauty scene, and I may be a peice of it.

I work as a G.P. and am 35 next birthday. When you start med school, all your patients are significantly older than you, and their deaths don't really cause any mortal introspection.

However I am now getting to the age where I have serveral patients my own age who are dying/dead, or not much older at all.

And the introspection has started.

I shouldn't be scared- nearly every dead person I see looks so peaceful and content. And another thing - I am constantly amazed at how serene family members are when I attend a death. It seems to exude peace to all it touches.

I've had a really bad run with diagnosing cancer of late in youngish people, and I am actually a bit panicked about the final curtain now. However I am trying to roll with it a bit - and things I've wanted to do, but kept putting off to tomorrow I am now actually doing. In some ways, the thought of death has cured my own intrinsic laziness.

I'm not religious, but get some comfort in the fact that as my body decomposes, my atoms and being will become part of the cosmos. In millions of years from now, so alien somewhere may be looking at a super nova or some other galatic beauty scene, and I may be a peice of it.

Good post, get posting more often mate we could use a doctor in the house, too many lawyers around for my liking, "bunch of ball-washing bastards" (not my words)

Good post, get posting more often mate we could use a doctor in the house, too many lawyers around for my liking, "bunch of ball-washing bastards" (not my words)

Just noticed actually I don't agree with that

Lesson learned today - read before you post!!!

• 1 month later...
That's a grat post Liz. Science explains that feeling as the release of a chemical, the name of which escapes me right now.

I'm not scared of dying, I just hope I am ready when it comes. I don't think there is anything to come afterwards, so I'd just like to be tired enough to accept death.

"Though lovers be lost, love shall not, and death shall have no dominion."

I've changed my mind. I think there is more. Having read loads on the subject recently and given it a lot of thought, I think there is more.

My view on death still hasn't changed though. I would like to be ready.

I almost died when I was 24, but escaped by the narrowest of margins.

It does something to your outlook on life. But then again, so does turning 30. A girl in my class when I went to school died of cancer when she was 22. That really got me down, as she was a fantastic person. She left behind a daughter of 2 at the time.

To this day, it makes me sad just typing those lines above.

I don't wanna get old plain and simple. Once you are unable to look after yourself properly I don't see the point of living. I would sooner die able at a younger age.

I am only 21 so a long way to go but I'd hate to be a burden on somebody.

I don't wanna get old plain and simple. Once you are unable to look after yourself properly I don't see the point of living. I would sooner die able at a younger age.

I am only 21 so a long way to go but I'd hate to be a burden on somebody.

Think that depends what your family are like to be honest.

My uncle and auntie are arseholes of the highest order (they got my nans dog put down when she moved in with my uncle because they were worried about the carpets) So if my mum and me hadn't of existed I'd have said, hand on heart, she was better off dead.

But we got her out of there and into her own bungalo and she lived a top life before the NHS killed her. As long as there's still someone in the world who thinks you're ace, there's reason to live IMO.

I tell you what must be scary though, when you live to an old age and everyone you ever knew is gone. Your wife, parents, siblings and old friends. I think when I get to that stage no budgie will make a difference and I'll be looking to get ghost.

I also hope it catches me unawares too, my mate's mum had 12 months to 'prepare' for it and it must have been a nightmare. Knowing each Christmas and birthday and season was your last. I'd rather go with minimal notice thanks.

I also hope it catches me unawares too, my mate's mum had 12 months to 'prepare' for it and it must have been a nightmare. Knowing each Christmas and birthday and season was your last. I'd rather go with minimal notice thanks.

That's just the transience of life though. You are always aware that you will never turn 30 again, that you will never have Christmas 2007 again.

That's just the transience of life though. You are always aware that you will never turn 30 again, that you will never have Christmas 2007 again.

Nah that's completely different though, they're experiences which can be repeated in other ways or even bettered.

I'll look at Christmas 2007 and say 'well next year might be even better, or one day Christmas will include my own kids which will give it whole new meaning'

Even as you get older there's thing to look forward too, marriage, kids etc which replaces the things you may have valued when you were younger like mates and going out, there'e always something around the corner, something to look forward to or try and make the best of.

To be told that 'you'll never eat a steak again' or 'you'll never get on a plane again' or 'you'll never see another autumn' must be an absolute fucking nightmare.