You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

9 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Is us Southerners that have the least variance in accents, I'm not sure my accent is obviously different to someone from Bournemouth or Ipswich for example. I don't consider midlanders as Southerners by the way!

Back to the North, surely you know a toe-curling Bolton accent when you hear one? 

See only with extreme Bolton accents can I tell them apart. Like Paddy Mcguinness. I used to be better at it when I was around the fuckers. Possibly a survival thing.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

How anyone in London slags off any part of Liverpool astounds me, same goes from people from Manchester. If you're from fucking Guernsey or Tokyo or some shit then fair enough, but I had the misfortune to have to stay in Hackney a while back and it made Escape from New York look like The Darling Buds of May. Absolute mentalism everywhere. 

We went to London last year and stayed with friends of my missus who live in East London. First day there we go to the station in Stratford and there are volunteers outside, on a blazing hot Saturday morning, handing out leaflets warning of the epidemic of knife crime.

Never seen anything like that, and I've been to Baltimore.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The rest of the North all sound like Sean Bean to me. Whether you're from Wigan, Preston, Leeds or whoever, I wouldn't have a clue. 

I tend to be able to identify accents based on how an actor or sportsperson from a certain area sounds and try to match those accents. Sean Bean being a 'tyke' is different to most Lancastrian accents too. Ours was was a Lancashire accent until 1974.

15 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

It's even worse when the Cockney Cowboys" are dishing it out! Hersham, Staines, Ashford, Woking. Fuck, even Hackney isn't that wank.

I stayed at a mate's flat in Catford once, in the mid 90s, and there was a gun shop next door; I couldn't help wondering how far we were from anything you could legally shoot.

• 2 months later...
On 14/06/2023 at 22:35, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There's bits of Kendrick Lamar's "Alright" where I think he sounds a bit St Helens; maybe that's just me.

Kendrick Lamar is from Sherdley Park.  Or, as he pronounces it, Shergley Park.

Deserves a meggle.

On 13/06/2023 at 19:34, Arniepie said:

Me mates dad grew up in Huyton in the 60s's

Said it was fucking insane..everyone was an utter loon.

Thats just not true. Yeah there were some bad areas , just like other parts of Liverpool. I grew up there in the 60s and 70s and the worst I saw was the weekly Friday night bust up in The Hillside.

4 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Thats just not true. Yeah there were some bad areas , just like other parts of Liverpool. I grew up there in the 60s and 70s and the worst I saw was the weekly Friday night bust up in The Hillside.

When I was growing up playing cricket Huyton CC's score box was very basic. Unlike the Versailles that was the Bootle CC score box.

2 hours ago, UnwelcomeinPeru said:

When I was growing up playing cricket Huyton CC's score box was very basic. Unlike the Versailles that was the Bootle CC score box.

Derelict now sadly. Aldi were trying to build a supermarket last year on the site, but the council withdrew planning permission as there were protests.

22 minutes ago, halewood pete said:

They call their wives "our maude ",and a man will greet another man "alright luv "!

Very strange

True this, I've got a couple of yowks who do work for me and the first couple of years that I knew them I couldn't believe that both of them had wives with the same weird fucking name. One day one of them starts talking about his missus using her real name and I thought he was carrying on.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

True this, I've got a couple of yowks who do work for me and the first couple of years that I knew them I couldn't believe that both of them had wives with the same weird fucking name. One day one of them starts talking about his missus using her real name and I thought he was carrying on.

There was a Maude in my old work from Billinge. Took me about 6 months to realise that wasn't her real name!

12 hours ago, UnwelcomeinPeru said:

Huyton cc always seemed to struggle to attract players one of the lads in our road went there for a while but stopped when he left school and started an apprenticeship.