You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

• 7 months later...

https://www.republic.org.uk/what-we-do/news-and-updates/case-republic-about-more-queen

Did you catch the news yesterday?  It was the 65th anniversary of the Queen becoming Britain’s head of state.  There was a lot of nonsense being talked about ‘our sapphire Queen’, making our head of state sound like a character from the latest Disney production.  I told the press that there needs to be a more serious debate, about the Queen’s record and what happens next.  And the need for wider reform.

The bigger picture

The thing is, the case for a republic is about so much more than the Queen.  Yes, hereditary privilege is wrong – and the royals are up to no good.  That’s one reason I told the Independent yesterday that the Queen should retire and make way for an elected successor.

But Republic has a clear vision of a better British democracy.  We see the monarchy as the pin that holds together a rotten system.  Abolish the monarchy and we get a unique opportunity to reshape our democracy and re-balance power between people, parliament and government.

Like in the US, the UK effectively has one person acting as head of state and head of government – that’s the prime minister.  And that’s a problem when so much power is concentrated in the hands of the PM and the constitution is so weak. Unlike in the US Britain’s constitution is made up largely of laws and habits.  Half our parliament is unelected and MPs have limited opportunities to obstruct the PM’s plans.

A new constitution

Republic proposes a British parliamentary republic, one that has:

• A written constitution that clearly states the people are in charge, and says who has what power;
  • A fully elected parliament, including an upper house that can give parliament more teeth in the face of government demands;
  • The prime minister, as head of government, would still be chosen from MPs in the Commons;
  • An elected head of state, impartial, independent and there to defend the constitution;
  • An end to the royal prerogative and clarity about the powers the government does have.

There is a significant disconnection between the people and our politicians.  Trust in our institutions is at an all-time low.  Government has more or less annexed parliament – instructing it to do its bidding.  We have a parliamentary democracy barely worthy of the name.

Our vision is to take the basic building blocks of Britain’s constitution – and make them truly democratic.  Top to bottom, putting power in the hands of the many, not the few.

Parliament should be able to rebuff and challenge the government.  The people should be able to set limits on the powers of our politicians, through a written constitution.  There should be clarity about who has what power, how they got it and how we get rid of them.  And clarity about the role of referendums is now more important than ever following the Brexit vote.

Drawing all this together, we can elect a separate, independent head of state.  An extra check on the power of the politicians, someone who can speak eloquently for the nation at times of crisis and celebration, defend the constitution – and perhaps decide who gets a state visit.

The Queen is a big part of the problem we’re trying to solve.  A no-show head of state unwilling and unable to perform an independent role and an obstacle to reform.  But the real problem is the concentration of power in the hands of a few – power drawn from the Crown and never curtailed by a peaceful, democratic revolution.  The real solution is abolition of the monarchy and a new parliamentary republican constitution.  

Britain needs its democratic moment.  That once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to radically shift the balance of power – to make true our claim to be a democracy envied the world over.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I see the refurbishment costs of £370 million to do up Queenie's house got passed by 464 MP's to 56 yesterday in the commons...Happy to say Dennis Skinner and 46 SNP's voted against.....McDonnell voted for it and Corbyn abstained...

Yet go back two years and you'll find 184 Labour MP's were happy to abstain against the Welfare Reform Bill which included in it's juicy contents reducing the welfare cap from £26,000 to £23,000, abolishing child poverty targets , cuts to child tax credits , cuts to Employment allowance and cuts to housing benefits to young people.

And yet one of the worlds richest woman and head of the biggest parasites in the country will also get a £2.8 million pay rise this year...Still I guess you need that to treat the kids now and again

BqpDC0-CYAAx9Zi.jpg

God bless you ma'am

• Upvote 1

Corbyn should hang his head in shame at that one

Abstaining from a vote is a cunts trick. A slimey way out not to stand your corner cause youll get shit

Isn't this precisely what a leader should be doing? Being pragmatic.

He's been labelled a protest politician. The media went to town on him because he didn't bow sufficiently. It is political suicide to be anti-monarchy in this country because we have a nation of fucking spastics.

• Upvote 3

Those that want to hammer him still will. How can you trust a man that wont actually stand up and say what they believe. Dont get me wrong i fully understand having to compromise but by Abstaining people know what you belueve but you dont have the balls to stand up and say it because of the blow back

If he'd done the opposite he'd have just got shit for not being sufficiently pragmatic. 

It hardly fucking matters any more. People on the left can't even support him. Just stick David Miliband in charge and hope there is eventually a civil war or some other form of serious violent unrest. The country is completely, and utterly, fucked.

• Upvote 1

I see the refurbishment costs of £370 million to do up Queenie's house got passed by 464 MP's to 56 yesterday in the commons...Happy to say Dennis Skinner and 46 SNP's voted against.....McDonnell voted for it and Corbyn abstained...

Yet go back two years and you'll find 184 Labour MP's were happy to abstain against the Welfare Reform Bill which included in it's juicy contents reducing the welfare cap from £26,000 to £23,000, abolishing child poverty targets , cuts to child tax credits , cuts to Employment allowance and cuts to housing benefits to young people.

And yet one of the worlds richest woman and head of the biggest parasites in the country will also get a £2.8 million pay rise this year...Still I guess you need that to treat the kids now and again

I bet that figure is blown out out the water when the final amount is released. If it ever is released.

• 1 month later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Boris is coming up on the inside though and could pip them all at the line

Whilst typing the above sentence he crossed my mind. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I can't compute why we still keep these cunts.

Pomp and circumstance, plus tit tat with their mugs on it for royalist cunts who think nothing looks better than a sideboard full of shit.