You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

I seriously think if we are going to have a head of state with no political power just a figurehead we should have someone interesting and fun. Not another boring shithouse politician esp if it is not a political role.

Someone good for tourism might be someone like McCartney

Or someone inspirational like Ranulph Fiennes (establishment as well)

Imagine Rodger Moore doing state visits as James Bond or Tom Baker as Dr Who.

One of the boys from One Direction could make us a fortune.

Timmy Mallet would knock the shit out of the Germans.

If he was sill alive I would have gone for Rod Hull with Emu.

Charlie boys letters -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32726099

Fucking joke. He's not even King and he's been trying to influence Government. He should keep his snout out. If he wants to question Government policy he should renounce his pampered lifestyle and join the ranks of the lesser mortals.

The sooner we become a Republic the better. Yes, i know it means we could end up with President Cameron etc but at least you get a fucking vote on that unlike monarchy which is a chance of birth.

• Upvote 3

I'm not overly bothered by the royal family either way. If we go for an elected head of state, fine. If we keep them, fine. It's just not something I can get worked up about. 

One slightly provocative thing I do want to say is that on these boards there was almost universal condemnation at the result of the recent election, with Cameron and the Tories strengthening their position (I'm not a fan of the Tories, lest there be any confusion). Most people on here believe that they are unfit for service, bad for the country, etc. so clearly the country 'got it wrong' with that vote... 

So, what makes us confident that an elected head of state would yield something that we want, or would embrace?

No way are all the letters he sent available for the public, the shredder has the important ones. 

Can you imagine that buffoon Charles writing an important letter ?

More likely they shredded the ones that made him sound like a total retard,,,,

Dear Blair ,

Can you do something about those scaliywags Kelloggs 

They never seem to put plastic soldiers in their cornflakes anymore and we need to reinforce our troops in Iraq 

Yours C

I'm not overly bothered by the royal family either way. If we go for an elected head of state, fine. If we keep them, fine. It's just not something I can get worked up about. 

One slightly provocative thing I do want to say is that on these boards there was almost universal condemnation at the result of the recent election, with Cameron and the Tories strengthening their position (I'm not a fan of the Tories, lest there be any confusion). Most people on here believe that they are unfit for service, bad for the country, etc. so clearly the country 'got it wrong' with that vote... 

So, what makes us confident that an elected head of state would yield something that we want, or would embrace?

So, we might get a duff one.

Then in five years' time we could vote them out.

• Upvote 1

What type of President do we want? We can either have the elected monarch-type like much of Europe who is mostly symbolic and is actually a bit of a waste of time because they don't really provide any check on the power of the PM. Or we can have the U.S.-style, most powerful man in the country, has a real job president - in which case we'll be needing to redesign our entire political system.

Who wants what?

What type of President do we want? We can either have the elected monarch-type like much of Europe who is mostly symbolic and is actually a bit of a waste of time because they don't really provide any check on the power of the PM. Or we can have the U.S.-style, most powerful man in the country, has a real job president - in which case we'll be needing to redesign our entire political system.

Who wants what?

A.

Or what you could do is reform the house of lords so it's an actual elected chamber rather than a lot of inheritance wankers and major political donors - then have the Leader of the House of Lords as the nominated head of state, albeit just providing the signing off constitutional shit that the monarch does.

• Upvote 1

Don't see why we need a president at all, just have an elected upper and lower house. 

The issue isn't just the core royals, it's all their offshoots and family, they own huge amounts of land and are just generally on to a fucking good screw. 

It's also the impact it has on the rest of our culture, the doffed cap brigade who are still paranoid about their class or how they're perceived when they do something like go to the races or a nice restaurant, that's all cascaded down from our belief that some people are inherently better than us, absolute nonsense in 2015. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11596791/Blacked-up-aristocrat-crashes-into-lamppost-while-three-times-drink-drive-limit.html

An aristocrat who was three times the drink-drive limit when he crashed his car into a lamppost while "blacked up" has been banned from driving.

Lord George Worsley, the son of the Earl of Yarborough, had his face covered in what appeared to be boot polish when he was arrested in Grimsby, Lincolnshire.

A police officer spotted the 24-year-old swerving from side to side in his car, which did not have headlights on, on a dual-carriageway in the early hours.

After being pursued by the officer, Worsley came to a halt when he hit a lamppost. He told the officer: "I do feel I have been rather foolish."

Worsley pleaded guilty to drink-driving, as well as driving without insurance and a licence, at Grimsby Magistrates' Court.

George John Sackville Worsley, of Chelsea, London, is the son of Lord Charles Pelham, The Earl Of Yarborough. The official family residence is the 28,000-acre Brocklesby estate, in Lincolnshire.

• Upvote 1

I actually know a few proper aristocrats. Not on a tea and buns level but a hello how you doing relationship. They are without exception completely bonkers and a few of them despite having huge assets are skint and scruffs.

They operate on a different planet to you and me. One in particular, I was told this story, has a huge house in the middle of nowhere and lives on his own with his mother. The land is managed by his estate management company and is used for stalking and shooting. Anyway he got so fed up with the 1/2 a mile trek to get wood for one of the fires that he decided to have a massive tree chopped down, a window in the room removed and the tree inserted through the removed window and into the fire. He then took a chainsaw and chopped of the end foot or two letting it remain in the fire. When he needed more he had the tree trunk pushed further in and chopped off another bit.

Was my birds birthday last October. She had booked a table for all her mates and 'other halves' to come and have a boozy lunch (as she called it). One of her close friends brought her new fella Charlie whom she had met at a wedding a few months before in some Surrey estate. Turns out his dad was an earl and a high court judge or some shit. We were La Tasca having some tapas and he starts clicking his fingers to the waitres and saying "splash of red" and shit like that to the waitress. My mrs is quite fiery and into women's lib and all that - she tore a strip off Charlie boy. I was thinking "oh no am gonna have to bang him out if he says anything to my bird" but in the end he was like a wounded animal.

I got talking to him later and just asked hi why he was clicking his fingers and taking to the waitress like shit. He said "that's how it is isn't it". He genuinely didn't know any different. He turned out to be a really sound lad but was constantly taking about money and ways of making it. No wonder money goes to money - they are trained to make that shit.

Was my birds birthday last October. She had booked a table for all her mates and 'other halves' to come and have a boozy lunch (as she called it). One of her close friends brought her new fella Charlie whom she had met at a wedding a few months before in some Surrey estate. Turns out his dad was an earl and a high court judge or some shit. We were La Tasca having some tapas and he starts clicking his fingers to the waitres and saying "splash of red" and shit like that to the waitress. My mrs is quite fiery and into women's lib and all that - she tore a strip off Charlie boy. I was thinking "oh no am gonna have to bang him out if he says anything to my bird" but in the end he was like a wounded animal.

I got talking to him later and just asked hi why he was clicking his fingers and taking to the waitress like shit. He said "that's how it is isn't it". He genuinely didn't know any different. He turned out to be a really sound lad but was constantly taking about money and ways of making it. No wonder money goes to money - they are trained to make that shit.

Thats because they do everything in their considerable power to pay as little,if any,inheritance tax.

Thats why money goes to money.

A.

Or what you could do is reform the house of lords so it's an actual elected chamber rather than a lot of inheritance wankers and major political donors - then have the Leader of the House of Lords as the nominated head of state, albeit just providing the signing off constitutional shit that the monarch does.

Tried that but it didnt seem to get through the house of lords.

Have you tried waiting five years and voting labour?

Who wants what?

Have no leaders or politicians since they just power hoarders, power needs to be in the peoples hands. As long as you look to a leader you are just displaying the backwards type thinking enjoyed by most religions and acting like a baby crying for mummy or daddy to come feed cloth and shelter and save the world like jesus and them.

We just need to decide WHAT we want and stop tryna find a WHO.

• Upvote 1

Someoen should be appointed president from among the people every year, like jury service.

I've always fancied being a ceremonial mayor, what a fucking outstanding screw it is. Your own driver and merc all year, turn up and pose for some snaps with the local colostomy bag knitting club, eat some scones and then fuck off home. Superb stuff.