You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Riise

Rashid

Can't say I like ginge very much but this is a good interview...

By Ian Doyle Chief Football Correspondent, Daily Post

JOHN ARNE RIISE last night claimed only a "coward" would give up on Liverpool's Premiership title aspirations.

The Norwegian made the remark only days after Anfield goalkeeper Pepe Reina had said Rafael Benitez's side were now playing for fourth place following their loss at Arsenal on Sunday.

The defeat left Liverpool down in ninth in the table, a massive 11 points adrift of champions Chelsea and a further three points behind Premiership leaders Manchester United.

But, contrary to Reina's opinion, the left-back is adamant Liverpool still harbour an outside chance of Premiership glory.

"We never give up," said Riise. "Cowards give up.

"Of course it will be hard to catch up with Manchester United, but at one point last season we were many points behind Chelsea, and in May we were only nine points behind."

Liverpool's season has been hamstrung by an appalling away record that has seen them win one point out of 18, lose the last five on their travels and score just one goal.

"I can not understand why we play so bad away from Anfield, I really can't," said Riise."Against Arsenal on Sunday, Rafa was calm in the dressing room after the match. He knew we knew that this was not good enough."

An unhappy Riise was involved in an altercation with Anfield captain Steven Gerrard after Arsenal's William Gallas had headed in his team's final goal at the Emirates Stadium at the weekend.

But the defender played down the incident, and said: "There was some frustration in the heat of the moment, but some discussion is good. It shows we care.

"It was neither mine nor Steven's fault that Gallas was unmarked. We saw the episode on TV afterwards, and it was not our responsibility."

So whose fault was it? Sami's?

In fairness, Carra and Reina's comments felt like salt being rubbed into the wounds after our latest capitulation - they were consistent with the defeatist attitude we seem to be playing with.

Granted we all know deep down there's fuck all chance of us figuring in the title race now, but I'd rather our players came out a litte more defiant, regardless of how unlikely any success is.

Just fucking improve your performances and get things sorted, don't tell us what we already know. Our players aren't being paid those obscene wages to tell the fans that in mid November, we're already fighting for fourth.

Just read the article. My view is that we won't win it this season - but we shouldn't stop trying. Saying in November that we're chasing fourth spot is defeatist (even if probably true.)

The aim must be to regroup and win as many of our remaining matches as possible. Chavs, Mancs and Arsenal still have to come here, and if we have built up a head of steam by then, who knows? Don't think we'll do it, but I'll take Riise's attitude to Reina's any day.

"It was neither mine nor Steven's fault that Gallas was unmarked. We saw the episode on TV afterwards, and it was not our responsibility."

So thats it then? It wasn't our fault so fuck it?

One of you two fucked up big time and if you see a player un-marked you take responsability and go to him or tell another player to watch his run.

Your grown men ffs, start acting like it and use your nouse, and Johnny, god gave you a voice, use it to tell stevie that you've got a man and to watch Gallas because Gerrard was doing absolutle fuck all apart from admiring the stadium wondering what Alex had on for tea..

It was big Sami's fault. We have a zonal marking system where you look after a zone, not a man. Sami got pulled away from his zone following a player who ran across the six yard box towards and under the ball leaving a gaping hole where Gallas was free.

Even if that's true Gerrard should still look to react to the danger and Riise should still be telling him about Gallas. Surely.

It was big Sami's fault. We have a zonal marking system where you look after a zone, not a man. Sami got pulled away from his zone following a player who ran across the six yard box towards and under the ball leaving a gaping hole where Gallas was free.

And Gerrard was out of Gallas zone?

This is the type of situation were you see the difference between the leaders and the sheep. You take responsability, not blame others and Riise and Gerrard were found wanting...

No improvisation, no awareness and half asleep...

They fucked up, not Sami.

I do remember when he got married a few years ago, none of the Liverpool players turned up for his wedding.... oh well...

He aligns himself to Gerrard, just watch next time on TV, where Gerrard is and see if Riise is far from him. For that reason he thinks he is "one of the boys" when in actual fact he is a bit of a tit - and laughed at a lot.

Just hard a few things that make him sound like a bell end.

Even if that's true Gerrard should still look to react to the danger and Riise should still be telling him about Gallas. Surely.

No because then that would create a domino effect. Gerrard would get pulled out of his zone and its possible another player would go in there and score. And we would have the same argument. Again rise could of spotted that and moved over but again his zone would then be free. That is the probblem with zonal marking. We either have to stick to it and dont follow the man or we man mark we cant do a hybrid. We where playing zonal sami decided to man mark so it was his fault. Imo

He aligns himself to Gerrard, just watch next time on TV, where Gerrard is and see if Riise is far from him. For that reason he thinks he is "one of the boys" when in actual fact he is a bit of a tit - and laughed at a lot.

Just hard a few things that make him sound like a bell end.

Has Steven Gerrard ever done anything wrong in your world, Rash?

This is the type of situation were you see the difference between the leaders and the sheep. You take responsability, not blame others and Riise and Gerrard were found wanting...

Agreed. The more i've seen 'The Episode' the more I think it was Gerrards fault.

Did Riise pull Gerard up about it or did Gerrard start having a go at JAR? I thought Riise had every right to have a go a Gerrard, theres a player behind Riise and Gerrards in front of him. I don't see the point in dropping back that deep for a corner (and were talking the 6 yard box here) and doing fuck all?

To be fair lads how many of us really know how the system is set up. I doubt very much that Riise would contradict Rafa publicly and for that reason I would assume that Hyypia was at fault as he shouldn't have vacated that zone.

I also understand the point about the domino effect but the time it would take for Riise to have a quick look around and decide Gerrard could go over for me doesn't tally with just standing your ground as that's your zone and that's the end of it.

Did Riise pull Gerard up about it or did Gerrard start having a go at JAR?

They both looked at each other like a pair of retards whilst Steven tried to blame Riise, and Johnny said thats your space...

Nuggets, the pair of 'em..

Also, if I remeber correctly, Hyypia only moved about two yards to pick up Fabregas or some other Arsenal player so technically he was still in this zone, however big this zone is...I think if somebody could find a clip of it you might also find Zenden stuck in two minds wether to follow Gallas or stick with the lad he finds himself by.

If Sami left Fabregas (I think it was him anyways) and watched Gallas's run Fabregas would have got to the cross, so what does Hyypia do?

Bear in mind theres two players behind Sami in Gerrard and Riise marking ONE Arsenal man, Henry...So in my mind it points to Gerrard vacating his space and Riise not shouting to stay put as he had Henry...

Guest attacking_play

my understanding of the zonal defending, is that the zones aren't large spaces at all....you shouldn't really have to move ....sami moved bigtime and left a gap.

I can see how this would happen...your instinct tells you to move....but your manager tells you to stay put, and re-train y'self.

tough situation.

They obviously all still struggle with implementing the zonal marking.