You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leaving Liverpool, its never a good idea, but who actually got success elsewhere?

Code

30 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Chris Kirkland won the Wigan Athletic players player of the year in 07/08.

Just once? 

Lucas was Lazio’s player of the year twice in a row, while leading them to the Coppa Italia and two supercups.

• Thanks 1

Jordy Hendershot's career has gone from strength to strength; from his earth shattering move to Asian powerhouse Al Etifuq and bringing the gays into line, onto the mighty Ajax of Amsterdam, where he's currently blowing the Dutch league apart with 0 goals, 0 assists and 0 good stuff.

7 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Just once? 

Lucas was Lazio’s player of the year twice in a row, while leading them to the Coppa Italia and two supercups.

Yea Lucas is a decent shout. I think the Italian league suited him anyway and that was especially true after that knee injury took his athleticism down a notch from what it needed to be as a premier league regular. Hard to say we missed him as Henderson basically took on that same role but I always rated Lucas. Will always wonder what would’ve been if that goal went in during the derby when Phil Neville decided to play keeper. 

I’m sat looking at the Tyne Bridge from my hotel bedroom window so I’ll throw Peter Beardsley into the mix. 

His Everton experience was mixed, however he had a very successful second spell up here (as a player anyway). Not in terms of trophies maybe, but he was adored as a player in these parts.

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not, David James. He won the League Cup with us and was a regular under Evans, but he left and was a regular for various clubs, was England's No1 for a few years, and won the FA Cup with Portsmouth.

51 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

but I always rated Lucas. Will always wonder what would’ve been if that goal went in during the derby when Phil Neville decided to play keeper. 

My guess...

Lucas would have been a cult hero and his substitute appearances the following season would have been met with cheers rather than groans; the big question is whether that improved atmosphere would have been enough to convert a couple of those disappointing draws of 2008/09 into wins.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

Has no one said Suso yet? To be honest I just know he was playing for AC Milan in Europe, not too sure how successfully

Not fantastically. He was decent at AC Milan, but has been blighted with injuries at Sevilla.

8 hours ago, Gruntfuttock said:

Graeme Souness ? Probably made more money in Italy than staying here,but his loss cost us more in 1984/85.

Souness finished 4th and 11th with Sampdoria, he won Coppa Italia in 84/85 though, but he’s not making my list. 

Keegan won the Bundesliga in 78/79 and reached the European Cup final in 79/80, while winning Ballon d’Or in 1978 and 1979, and got voted Players Player of the year in  81/82 when playing for Soton. 
Im reluctant to add him, so some of the other players mentioned here obviously should not even be close. 

4 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’m sat looking at the Tyne Bridge from my hotel bedroom window so I’ll throw Peter Beardsley into the mix. 

His Everton experience was mixed, however he had a very successful second spell up here (as a player anyway). Not in terms of trophies maybe, but he was adored as a player in these parts.

Similarly, Jimmy Case managed to prolong his career beyond expectation after leaving us, and arguably became a better player at Brighton and then Southampton.  Certainly more influential. 

• Upvote 2