You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leaving Liverpool, its never a good idea, but who actually got success elsewhere?

Code

7 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Clemence is a poor example because we won shitloads after he left,even a League Cup Final in which he played against us.

He won things after he left us though, plenty didn't. He also had a pretty successful career as a coach for Spurs and England. I suppose it's how you determine success.

2 minutes ago, Caramac said:

He won things after he left us though, plenty didn't. He also had a pretty successful career as a coach for Spurs and England. I suppose it's how you determine success.

If we are counting "successy" stuff after playing days are over it's Jamie Carragher by far.

5 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’m sat looking at the Tyne Bridge from my hotel bedroom window so I’ll throw Peter Beardsley into the mix. 

His Everton experience was mixed, however he had a very successful second spell up here (as a player anyway). Not in terms of trophies maybe, but he was adored as a player in these parts.

Beardsley won two titles and an FA Cup with us and was part of our best team until Jurgen took over. While his career certainly didn't die at Newcastle it was trophyless and nowhere near the heights of his Liverpool career.

This is one of those football sayings that gets trotted round by the bigger clubs. As has been shown in this thread, loads of players have gone on to have better careers elsewhere, some at bigger clubs and some at smaller clubs.

26 minutes ago, John102 said:

This is one of those football sayings that gets trotted round by the bigger clubs. As has been shown in this thread, loads of players have gone on to have better careers elsewhere, some at bigger clubs and some at smaller clubs.

It's not been shown at all.

So far we have Alonso, Suarez, Mascherano, Arbeloa and  McManaman from the last 45 years. 

Before that Lloyd and Keegan.

Three of those were in a team managed by Benitez, so no wonder they got more success elsewhere. 

Another with Rodgers, so again only to be expected. 

The other players mentioned have managed to get into the first team somewhere, but not got close to Liverpools standards and achievements. 

• Haha 2

Some have mentioned sheedy, but I think we also sold them Alan harper around that time and he also did alright there although not as good as sheedy. 

Mike Newell was on our books and had a good career. I can't remember, but wasn't he part of Kenny's Blackburn team that won the league? 

Does anelka count? He went on to win a few things after he left us, even though he had some weird clubs in his time. And come to that, from the same period, the other cunt Owen won some shit off the bench down the m62. 

In fact all this evil thinking has also reminded me raul miereles was at Chelsea with anelka winning stuff wasn't he? 

Saw Luis Alberto play well in the Lazio game this week vs Bayern and I still believe he is one of those who has done well for himself since leaving Liverpool.

He has been very good over there in Italy. Even made the Serie A team of the season 2 or 3 years ago.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Some have mentioned sheedy, but I think we also sold them Alan harper around that time and he also did alright there although not as good as sheedy. 

Mike Newell was on our books and had a good career. I can't remember, but wasn't he part of Kenny's Blackburn team that won the league? 

Does anelka count? He went on to win a few things after he left us, even though he had some weird clubs in his time. And come to that, from the same period, the other cunt Owen won some shit off the bench down the m62. 

In fact all this evil thinking has also reminded me raul miereles was at Chelsea with anelka winning stuff wasn't he? 

Good call on Miereles, wouldn’t have thought of him. He won the FA Cup and European Cup with Chelsea.

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yes,Harper was another who wouldn't have broken through in that Liverpool side but was very good at Everton.

On 14/02/2024 at 14:43, Code said:

It's not been shown at all.

So far we have Alonso, Suarez, Mascherano, Arbeloa and  McManaman from the last 45 years. 

Before that Lloyd and Keegan.

Three of those were in a team managed by Benitez, so no wonder they got more success elsewhere. 

Another with Rodgers, so again only to be expected. 

The other players mentioned have managed to get into the first team somewhere, but not got close to Liverpools standards and achievements. 

The thread says leaving Liverpool is not a good idea. I'd suggest leaving when you are not good enough and having success elsewhere, is a good idea. There have been lots of examples given.

The title also suggests that it was the players choice to leave, rather than being pushed. Flip the question round then and ask who has chosen to leave and had a worse career elsewhere? Owen is one that jumps out. Who else?

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes,Harper was another who wouldn't have broken through in that Liverpool side but was very good at Everton.

They were funny times though the 80s (well compared to now). I went to a lot of reserve games back in those days and there were loads of good players who were one injury in the 1st team away from getting a chance - it was a time of fewer injuries, one sub and you didn't always use that sub, the chance just didn't always come. I don't remember now, but I'm pretty sure Harper never got his chance, but that reserve team was always an excellent team and was not the miles away we have with U21/23 groups today where often the best are on loan elsewhere. 

23 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

They were funny times though the 80s (well compared to now). I went to a lot of reserve games back in those days and there were loads of good players who were one injury in the 1st team away from getting a chance - it was a time of fewer injuries, one sub and you didn't always use that sub, the chance just didn't always come. I don't remember now, but I'm pretty sure Harper never got his chance, but that reserve team was always an excellent team and was not the miles away we have with U21/23 groups today where often the best are on loan elsewhere. 

Even Sheedy,who Evertonians regard as one of their best ever,was not exactly regarded as a shoe in for the first team. That is how strong we were. Fair play to Howard Kendall for having a good eye for a player and developing them at Everton though. He did a fantastic job for them. Unfortunately their fans still believe that those successes entitle them to still be the same way now. Even Kendall knew the writing was on the wall back then.

• Upvote 1

John Gidman was a youth with us, we let him go. Fat Johnny Morrisey, was sold behind Shanks’ back, won the cup and league with the shite. Frank McGarvey won everything in Scotland if that counts. Jimmy Case letting him go was one of Bob’s few mistakes. Larry Lloyd was a good stopper couldn’t play the Thommo and Hughes centre back role, we were well rid and got good money for him. Mcmanamen and Owen shouldn’t count as it was their decisions to run down their contracts, we would have kept both otherwise.