You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

There was no European Football back then so it was treated as a major trophy. The FA Cup Final's proximity to European final dates and the end of the season coming after it now,or was that a one off? makes it less of a priority I reckon.

I remember around that time people said the FA cup final was bigger than the European cup final but was that because no European football for English teams

On 19/03/2024 at 09:09, Manny said:

I doubt Brazil has the kind of contacts within the first team squad to be able to make that sort of claim with direct quotes. I can see it being a second or third hand quote that's been watered down, like someone within the squad has said off the record that it's a shame Lijnders is going, he's been good for the team and everyone likes him, and even though it'd likely never happen due to his lack of experience if he had have been offered the gig people would have been happy for him. Three people down the chain and that can morph into "the squad want Lijnders."

Been meaning to mention this for a few days, but one thing that gives me quite a bit of succour during the manager search has been the success of Klopp. When FSG first came in they tried to box clever with the Martinez interview and the Brodgers dossier etc. Rodgers didn't work and ended up being quite expensive to fix given contracts to pay off, unwanted players to dump and so on. In comes Klopp - the unequivocal right man for the job - and suddenly everything works better, and the value of the club goes up despite only relatively limited investment.

I hope this means that Jurgen Klopp has shown them the power of the right manager: get that appointment right and you save yourselves a lot of hassle - it's too important a job to take gambles on.

Brazil just said he's heard it. His mate Saunders who he was speaking to, who then backed him up, had said the same the week before on the radio! So Brazil heard it from Saunders. And Saunders probably made it up knowing there's probably a couple of lads in the dressing room who would like ljinders to stay. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Brazil just said he's heard it. His mate Saunders who he was speaking to, who then backed him up, had said the same the week before on the radio! So Brazil heard it from Saunders. And Saunders probably made it up knowing there's probably a couple of lads in the dressing room who would like ljinders to stay. 

I wouldn’t believe Brazil if he said he was an alcoholic! 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I wouldn’t believe Brazil if he said he was an alcoholic! 

Imagine him and Steve Bruce in space. They fuck up the universe gravitational pull

0_Alan-Brazil-2.jpg

14 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Watching some bits on Richard Hughes

He tried to get de Zerbi in at at Bournemouth before Brighton got him. 

Slightly concerned 

I wouldn’t read too much into that given the difference in options to the respective clubs, but I would be worried by a manager who is very much a known quantity in the Premier League and isn’t doing anything astonishing.

Would be very much a Hodgsonian “see how he’s doing in October” sort of appointment. We couldn’t afford to waste time on someone who didn’t seem to be coping at a huge club.

To some extent, that worries me with any of the main contenders aside from Alonso - even though he hasn’t managed one, he knows what it’s like to be at huge clubs. Not everyone can deal with that.

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I wouldn’t read too much into that given the difference in options to the respective clubs, but I would be worried by a manager who is very much a known quantity in the Premier League and isn’t doing anything astonishing.

Would be very much a Hodgsonian “see how he’s doing in October” sort of appointment. We couldn’t afford to waste time on someone who didn’t seem to be coping at a huge club.

To some extent, that worries me with any of the main contenders aside from Alonso - even though he hasn’t managed one, he knows what it’s like to be at huge clubs. Not everyone can deal with that.

Don't see de Zerbi anywhere near the level of Hodgson to be honest. The shine has gone off him this year. But I'm unsure why. Its either his tactics are now being understood and countered or there's a good argument that Brighton are struggling after having the heart of the team ripped out in the summer with Caicedo and Mac Allister leaving and the extra games in Europe having hurt them. 

It feels more risky than 8 months ago, but after Alonso I'm not sure who isn't a massive risk 

Brighton were always going to drop back a little bit this season, you can't be a club with that model and expect progress to continue on an upward trajectory, or plateau at it's highest performance level, when you're losing your best players, having to navigate European football and the increased schedule that brings at the same time as bringing through the next batch of players.

17 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Brighton were always going to drop back a little bit this season, you can't be a club with that model and expect progress to continue on an upward trajectory, or plateau at it's highest performance level, when you're losing your best players, having to navigate European football and the increased schedule that brings at the same time as bringing through the next batch of players.

Thing is, where’s the evidence that De Zerbi can challenge for a CL spot, let alone trophies in a major league? He’s had 7 jobs in 11 years and has won a knockout cup for Serie C teams and the Ukrainian Super Cup. There’s not even an against the odds promotion in there.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Thing is, where’s the evidence that De Zerbi can challenge for a CL spot, let alone trophies in a major league? He’s had 7 jobs in 11 years and has won a knockout cup for Serie C teams and the Ukrainian Super Cup. There’s not even an against the odds promotion in there.

Wasn't a pitch fer De Zerbi, more a comment on Brighton and how it's difficult to judge what they are.

25 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

For that level of club that’s a great move

That’s what I thought. I like the ambition. It’s a shame there’s a vacuum of decent managers about. Even Alonso is a risk. We are losing the best possible guy out there for this job and it’s fucking heartbreaking. I’m just glad Gerrards name isn’t being banded about. 

On 18/03/2024 at 09:27, Megadrive Man said:

Alan Brazil and Dean Saunders on Talkshite claiming that the Liverpool players want Pep Lijnders to take over next season. 

Because Dean Saunders and Alan fucking Brazil would have contacts in the Liverpool dressing room. I wouldnt believe a word of it and even if I did, I wouldnt take notice of it.

Gerrard and Carragher wanted Alan Curbishley.

Let the footballers play and let Edwards and the new fella pick the manager. 

We've got to be the difficult road for Alonso. You've got Abu Dhabi and the Saudis, the Chelsea madness and the mega rich Mancs, Arsenal on fire and only look like improving and even the shit clubs can't get by without cheating the rules. He's then got to follow one of our greatest ever managers who was the embodiment of everything we love about the club. Throw in the bent officials. Also trying to do it on a tight budget. The bonus he'd inherit a good squad and lower expectations than Real or Bayern. 

This isnt a slight on Klopp. I love tge man and think he is tge best manager in world football and is perfect for Liverpool. However, because of the cheats, and the toll chasing them has taken on the players and the manager (and other reasons obviously) we have had two poor seasons in the past four and Klopp's trophy haul here isn’t outrageous. 

We are used to average seasons. We can accept winning a trophy every two years. The narrative that the guy after Klopp is going to be under huge pressure to win immediately and would turn off some potential candidates is way off the mark, in my opinion.

If he conducts himself as a Liverpool manager should, and to be fair Alonso has always come across well, plays good football, has a plan that seems to be working and there is progress being shown, then the next manager will get time from the fans. 

Granted there will be morons on social media calling for his head but fuck them. 

The Liverpool job is very attractive. Good, young, experienced, high achieving squad. An excellent youth system with a proven record of recruitment with a patient fanbase. 

Not to mention playing in the best league in the world (hate that but it's true), pitting your wits against the best managers. And with an expected 5 CL places available, it is a no brainer if he wants the challenge. 

3 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

There is no evidence, but I don't think anyone is saying he is or should be the first choice.

He is someone who should absolutely be on a shortlist, though, because this is a projection business and you won't find many managers out there with a style of play that is as potentially suited to a top team as De Zerbi. But yeah, it is hypothetical.