You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

Everyone seems to be moaning about getting managers from Portugal and the Netherlands, but isn't this an invetiability outcome caused by the monopolisation or the duopalisation of many of the leagues and domestic cup competitions in europe? 

The Dutch and Portuguese top flight are probably the only two where a notionally third/fourth sized club can be mobilised to win a title?

All that seems to be the motivation for finding a new manager so far is:

Can operate on a small budget and can develop young players. Also that Edwards will dictate all the signings. 

The club needs a lift after how this season has gone. Seems underwhelming that we will just get a coach similar to Brendan Rodgers stature when he arrived rather than a manager who will excite everyone and give the club a lift like when Jurgen arrived.

37 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

manager who will excite everyone and give the club a lift like when Jurgen arrived.

Not saying Slot is the right man but im not sure there is a exciting manager out there once Alonso said he was staying. 

Tuchel,Mourinho,Conte none are exciting and all would want older players for the squad and would fall out with everyone within a year. 

But i do fear that Edwards and Hughes are going to go full fucking stats nerd and blow apart anything thats is in place by being the cleverest guys in the room. Edwards forgets that before Klopp got there his genius didn't really amount to fuck all. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Not saying Slot is the right man but im not sure there is a exciting manager out there once Alonso said he was staying. 

Tuchel,Mourinho,Conte none are exciting and all would want older players for the squad and would fall out with everyone within a year. 

But i do fear that Edwards and Hughes are going to go full fucking stats nerd and blow apart anything thats is in place by being the cleverest guys in the room. Edwards forgets that before Klopp got there his genius didn't really amount to fuck all. 

That's one of the dangers, as well as having cheap bastard owners.

We're a bit fucked I think but I'm fully prepared for it.

1 minute ago, Moo said:

That's one of the dangers, as well as having cheap bastard owners.

We're a bit fucked I think but I'm fully prepared for it.

Yeah i think we will be in Spurs/Villa position hoping to get the last slot of the 4 or hoping that a 5th spot is available unless Slot fits in straight away and the players react. And he gets properly backed. If they want this guy to have a chance they have to do what Arsenal did with Arteta and back him

8 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah i think we will be in Spurs/Villa position hoping to get the last slot of the 4 or hoping that a 5th spot is available unless Slot fits in straight away and the players react. And he gets properly backed. If they want this guy to have a chance they have to do what Arsenal did with Arteta and back him

That’s a fairly realistic assessment, although Spurs and Villa spend a lot more than us, so consistently challenging them in the longer term might be unrealistic.

With a manager who is inevitably going to be Klopp’s lesser, we can’t necessarily expect to compete with any well managed club that significantly outspends us, so for me it’s all on FSG to make sure that investment on the field sees a pretty dramatic increase.

9 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Can operate on a small budget and can develop young players. Also that Edwards will dictate all the signings. 

The club needs a lift after how this season has gone. Seems underwhelming that we will just get a coach similar to Brendan Rodgers stature when he arrived rather than a manager who will excite everyone and give the club a lift like when Jurgen arrived.

Tbf it sounds like players love Slot and he's supposed to be brilliant and getting his ideas across and can adapt tactically. He seems quite jovial and isn't a robot type like other managers. I think the players would warm to him, anyone taking the piss should be bombed out.

10 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

I think that's a fair assessment. 

He's clearly very well regarded, but his status is an awful lot closer to that of Rodgers than that of Klopp. 

One big thing in his favour is the squad he currently has. Despite our recent failings, we've some excellent footballers, some of whom probably need to move on both to get rid of some staleness and to finance a team the manager can better work with. 

This is what Klopp started out with all those years ago: 

Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Leiva, Can, Milner, Lallana, Coutinho, Origi

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Lutsharel Geertruida was at the game, haven't seen anything about Gimenez.

My mistake, was one of those stupid clickbait articles that make you read a ton of crap before getting to the point, I got as far as Gimenez and thought that was the point.... It wasn't, it was more irrelevant crap.