You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

55 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Amorim has been a manager for 4 years. Alonso, less than half of that, in a top flight league.

Yes, I realise that. But amorim has had bad periods. Alonso has been largely successful. Alonso is doing it in a better league, with broadly similar club expectations, if anything Leverkusen has lower. I just don't understand which stat amorim is better at, aside from managing longer. It seems they're broadly similar and depending how you use stats, would depend who comes out on top. Unless as I say, you include sociedad reserves. 

The data Edwards would be leaning on will be provided by Will Spearman who's already at the club. He's not coming in and re-creating the data team he already had a hand in setting up.

If Alonso is top of that list now then only personal preference on Edwards part changes that, not Edwards own data.

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yes, I realise that. But amorim has had bad periods. Alonso has been largely successful. Alonso is doing it in a better league, with broadly similar club expectations, if anything Leverkusen has lower. I just don't understand which stat amorim is better at, aside from managing longer. It seems they're broadly similar and depending how you use stats, would depend who comes out on top. Unless as I say, you include sociedad reserves. 

Alonso is obviously the favourite for the job anyway but if you hired Amorim to be your manager 2 years after he started at Sporting, so where Alonso will be at the end of the season, you'd be hiring someone who was so highly rated that Sporting, a club with little money, paid 10m to Braga to hire him after he had managed them for just 2 months. And then, that proceeded to win Sporting its first title in 2 decades. Prodigy level stuff.

So the sample and experience is important. We got a little more context with the two more seasons after.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Alonso is obviously the favourite for the job anyway but if you hired Amorim to be your manager 2 years after he started at Sporting, so where Alonso will be at the end of the season, you'd be hiring someone who was so highly rated that Sporting, a club with little money, paid 10m to Braga to hire him after he had managed them for just 2 months. And then, that proceeded to win Sporting its first title in 2 decades. Prodigy level stuff.

So the sample and experience is important. We got a little more context with the two more seasons after.

I'm not saying amorim isn't a good manager, or even we shouldn't hire him. I'm just saying I don't think it's particularly obvious on stats Edwards would choose him over Alonso. Unless you know what data it is he's looking for. So if you made a starting point he had to manage 150 top flight games, well he's out. But otherwise, Alonso's stats must stack up against anyone out there. 

On 11/03/2024 at 11:12, Kevin D said:

How much of Inter have you watched to assess Inzaghi as a possible candidate?

It looks like he’s doing a great job.

I think he's an excellent manager. He's improved them on last year as well. They're now rock solid and play great football. 

• Like 1

On 11/03/2024 at 10:12, Kevin D said:

How much of Inter have you watched to assess Inzaghi as a possible candidate?

It looks like he’s doing a great job.

Someone hear was saying he hasn't a word of English. 

No denying they're playing some great football, but I couldn't agree to the manager not being able to speak the language 

The one and only answer is the manager with 36 games played so far this season in all competions and no losses, and only with a net spend of €12.6m in the summer. 

IMG_0180.jpeg

IMG_0181.jpeg

If we can’t get xabi in or save Carlo from Spainish tax hell then I’d rather we went and took Ange from spurs than this Portuguese hipster. Knows the league now and already plays in a similar style to us 

Having watched Porto amd now Benfica a couple of times I'd have real concerns over that Sporting mamager getting the job if Alonso turns it down. They've been neck and neck with Benfica so far and Benfica don't look anything special at all. Very average. Feels he could be another Villa's Boas with the European success 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Having watched Porto amd now Benfica a couple of times I'd have real concerns over that Sporting mamager getting the job if Alonso turns it down. They've been neck and neck with Benfica so far and Benfica don't look anything special at all. Very average. Feels he could be another Villa's Boas with the European success 

In todays 'Waht the actual fuck' news Andre Villa Boas' next job might be Porto, as President!

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Hypothetical curveball: Would you accept a manager who was outfoxed in Europe by David Moyes?

Are you saying Moyes could get his name in the hat with a win?

On 12/03/2024 at 20:02, Code said:

The one and only answer is the manager with 36 games played so far this season in all competions and no losses, and only with a net spend of €12.6m in the summer. 

IMG_0180.jpeg

IMG_0181.jpeg

It's the biggest no brainer of all time. Ticks every single box. Has a team punching well above its weight because of his coaching excellence, didn't need to spend money to achieve it and his team has the same never give up mentality that ours has. 

The fact he played for us is just an added bonus but even if he hadn't he'd still be the most obvious choice by a mile.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2