You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

It's such a weird job and such a weird manager market at the moment that it's hard to know who we need. When we sacked Rodgers, the brief was challenging but obvious: we needed a manager with the vision and standing to build the club up and turn us into challengers - while working with a relative underdog. Klopp was the standout, towering candidate: he'd done exactly that at Dortmund - managing an expectant fanbase in the face of massive odds to success, and doing it with charm, personality and style. That made his first couple of years easier. There were moments I had very slight doubts in his early time - but they were quickly silenced by my rational brain recognising that if Klopp couldn't do it then it was because the brief was too difficult, not that there was a better candidate out there.

This time it's different, we're a much better team with a really good age profile: some outstanding youngsters breaking through (but not too many to give the squad a callow feel), a crop of players approaching their peak (but not so many that the squad will go over the hill in one go), and a brains trust of experienced pros (but not so many that there'd be a changing room full of grognards). Ferguson left a team with success, but success built on a mix of honest but limited pros and aging stars having a last hurrah. Wenger left a team with a reasonable age profile but a squad that ultimately was repeatedly proven to be short of the required standard.

I've never known anyone having to really step into such a settled environment. There'll be pressure to fill Jurgen's boots - but all the tools to be able to do it (whereas at Arsenal and the mancs there was all the pressure but none of the tools). I guess one thing will go in this guy's favour - they won't have to contend with a Klopp Liverpool (unlike every other managerial appointment in the league since 2015).

I'm all in on Alonso, for what it's worth. I actually think that if he'd just been a classy player who'd had the same career away from Liverpool then I'd possibly be leaning towards de Zerbi due to a greater familiarity with Brighton (and I've been really impressed with them - he's changed how they're perceived massively) but Alonso's standing with the club shades it for me. He'll get the buy-in, which feels like the most important thing for such a big transition.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

41 minutes ago, Manny said:

It's such a weird job and such a weird manager market at the moment that it's hard to know who we need. When we sacked Rodgers, the brief was challenging but obvious: we needed a manager with the vision and standing to build the club up and turn us into challengers - while working with a relative underdog. Klopp was the standout, towering candidate: he'd done exactly that at Dortmund - managing an expectant fanbase in the face of massive odds to success, and doing it with charm, personality and style. That made his first couple of years easier. There were moments I had very slight doubts in his early time - but they were quickly silenced by my rational brain recognising that if Klopp couldn't do it then it was because the brief was too difficult, not that there was a better candidate out there.

This time it's different, we're a much better team with a really good age profile: some outstanding youngsters breaking through (but not too many to give the squad a callow feel), a crop of players approaching their peak (but not so many that the squad will go over the hill in one go), and a brains trust of experienced pros (but not so many that there'd be a changing room full of grognards). Ferguson left a team with success, but success built on a mix of honest but limited pros and aging stars having a last hurrah. Wenger left a team with a reasonable age profile but a squad that ultimately was repeatedly proven to be short of the required standard.

I've never known anyone having to really step into such a settled environment. There'll be pressure to fill Jurgen's boots - but all the tools to be able to do it (whereas at Arsenal and the mancs there was all the pressure but none of the tools). I guess one thing will go in this guy's favour - they won't have to contend with a Klopp Liverpool (unlike every other managerial appointment in the league since 2015).

I'm all in on Alonso, for what it's worth. I actually think that if he'd just been a classy player who'd had the same career away from Liverpool then I'd possibly be leaning towards de Zerbi due to a greater familiarity with Brighton (and I've been really impressed with them - he's changed how they're perceived massively) but Alonso's standing with the club shades it for me. He'll get the buy-in, which feels like the most important thing for such a big transition.

Great post. 

There's different managers for different posts, we're going to need someone with pedigree IMO to come in and do the job because all eyes will be on them, both inside and outside the club from word go. 

29 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s gonna/got to be Xabi but let’s talk about Bielsa…

From seeing Klopp bounce round that touchline, hugging players and punching the sky to looking at Bielsa sat on a potty....... Nah. 

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Personally I think if klopp was to come back, it would be in a more off field role. Part of his value at LFC has been setting culture around the club and even in the fan base. I have a gut feeling he doesn't want the day to day involvement anymore, let alone Liverpool. I'm sure we can find a position for him where he can help the club while also giving him time for some life that he craves. Sometimes having a ex-manager sitting above a current manager brings unnecessary pressure on the manager, but with klopp's clarity on not wanting that job, I don't think that would be an issue. it's actually a real shame we can't maybe crack a deal like that with him now, as it would help remove some of the fears around Alonso. 

Rafael Honigstein was saying the German national job might be the one for him now. Its only really part time and the house his family are building isn't far from Frankfurt where the German FA is based so its a easy commute. The qualifiers dont start till September 2025 either so he can take over in either the March 2025 or June 2025 internationals. Makes alot of sense for him. Be funny as fuck if he won the 2028 Euros at Wembley with them

20 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

What about this fella at Sporting? I knew nothing of him, but his achievements and style seem very impressive from what I’ve recently read? 

I watched the first 20 minutes of their match last night. 

A few things stood out. 

Sebastian Coates is still shite, the Lisbon fans must be knobheads, as the stadium was nearly empty and lastly, the Portugese language is without doubt the worst to listen to. 

I turned off after sporting went one up, mainly because the commentary was doing my head in (they where speaking Portuguese) 

They went on to win 8 nothing......

Perhaps I turned off to early..... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

I watched the first 20 minutes of their match last night. 

A few things stood out. 

Sebastian Coates is still shite, the Lisbon fans must be knobheads, as the stadium was nearly empty and lastly, the Portugese language is without doubt the worst to listen to. 

I turned off after sporting went one up, mainly because the commentary was doing my head in (they where speaking Portuguese) 

They went on to win 8 nothing......

Perhaps I turned off to early..... 

That was extremely helpful. Thank you. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Rafael Honigstein was saying the German national job might be the one for him now. Its only really part time and the house his family are building isn't far from Frankfurt where the German FA is based so its an  deasy commute. The qualifiers dont start till September 2025 either so he can take over in either the March 2025 or June 2025 internationals. Makes alot of sense for him. Be funny as fuck if he won the 2028 Euros at Wembley with them

I don’t think he’d be in any way suited to the international game, but what do I know. Would be great supporting Germany if that’s the direction be takes.

Meanwhile Eddie Howe showing us his CV in motion tonight, at the expense of Emery’s ebening.

7 hours ago, Manny said:

Can we just stop with the De Zerbi love-in. Brighton have won 17 points in their last 16 league games, winning just 3. I know they have lost their 2 best midfielders since last season and are negotiating Europe, but they are in the middle of falling off a cliff. He could genuinely get the sack soon. 

24 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Can we just stop with the De Zerbi love-in. Brighton have won 17 points in their last 16 league games, winning just 3. I know they have lost their 2 best midfielders since last season and are negotiating Europe, but they are in the middle of falling off a cliff. He could genuinely get the sack soon. 

They have never won three games in a row this season, De Zerbi is a big no from me.

IMG_9923.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying he is the right guy but i'm wondering what people expect from him. He doesn't have the biggest of squads to be juggling European football with league games and had the heart of his midfield ripped out and in Caicedo case quite late. At its not like Brighton will go out and buy ready made replacements for him. I think they knew this year would be tough and top 8 would be the aim alongside the knockout stages of the Europa league. 

His results after the Europa League and the teams he has played have not helped them one bit

A Bournemouth 3-1 win

H Liverpool 2-2

H Fulham 1-1

H Sheff Utd 1-1

A Chelsea 3-2 L

A Arsenal 2-0 L

As i said i'm not saying he is the guy but im unsure what people expect sometimes from the likes of Thomas Frank, De Zerbi etc. Thomas Frank has one of the smallest budgets in the league, 17th lowest wage budget and has had them. yes they have struggled a bit this year but they lost Ivan Toney for all bar one game and then lost Mbuemo a month ago. He sets his teams up well and yes they are physical, play fairly direct and into Toney but what really do people expect with the squad he has. If he tried to do what Kompany does with Burnley they'd have been relegated years ago just like Burnley will be this year. He has finished 9th, 8pts behind us and 12 off the Champions league places last year and 13th the year before. its fair to say this years struggles have been the injury to Mbeumo and Toney suspension. De Zerbi lost Caicedo and Mac Callister and was bought Milner,Dahoud and Baleba and they are obviously telling him when and when he can't play Ferguson as they want to limit his minutes and he's resorting to playing Welbeck up top

I dont know how you could watch Brighton for the past two years and not at least wonder what De Zerbi could do with better players. The players who have worked with him talk about him like he is a Guardiola type football freak. 

People will talk about games like tonight, but on the aggregate he has made Brighton play a style of football that big clubs play. Last season, they led the Premier League in shots per game. That is crazy. 

Right now, on a worse year than he had last year after losing some top players, Brighton are averaging 15 shots per game, which is 15th in Europe and they have 62% of the ball, which is 5th in Europe.