You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: We have to compete against the big spenders in our own way

TLW

Jurgen Klopp maintains that Liverpool will follow their own path to a successful future and wont be influenced by other clubs splashing the cash.

Newcastle have joined the likes of Man City and Chelsea as big spenders of the division with investment coming from a Saudi takeover.

There has been similar speculation that Man United will be the next club to follow with Shiekh Jassim from Qatar putting in a number of bids.

But Klopp says that Liverpool will always look for ways to compete in their own way as the Mirror reported.

“So it’s them (Newcastle and Manchester City ) with Chelsea! and Manchester United in the future, while yeah, we have to live within our means.

“As far as I know, it was always the situation for Liverpool. That of course makes it not easier. But we cannot put sticks around our area and hope that no one will run through! “That’s how it is, other teams will do their things, we will do our stuff.

“And I have no problem with that, as long as it is all by the rules. In the end the circumstances might be different, but it’s all about what you make of it. That’s what we try, that’s where we try to make a difference in a positive direction, but we will see.”

The way that Liverpool operate in the transfer market means that there is very little margin for error and targets need to be clearly pinpointed with the manager counting the days until the end of August.

Klopp 2.jpg

“It is simple, we have to be on point, that is pretty much the thing. There is not a lot of space for failure.”

“The people out there think: We should do this, we should do that! Another centre half and another No 6 and another No 8 and another striker!...‘he’ll sit there ladies and gentlemen!

‌“I was always glad when transfer windows are over! I am absolutely in it, if I want to improve the squad I have to absolutely do it. But I have all the information around and I know what is possible and not possible.

Klopp says whatever happens in the next week, he will work with what he has to the best of his ability.

“It is my job to take the team we have at the end of the transfer window and make the best of it.

‌“I’m not sitting there saying ‘aw they have this and they have that’ that is how I understand it.”

View full article

3 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

considering we just threw a £113m bid in for a player,im not really convinced we are paupers

You've missed the news, it was a fake bid, a bid for PR to appease those speaking out because nothing appeases those people like the failed purchase of a player.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

You've missed the news, it was a fake bid, a bid for PR to appease those speaking out because nothing appeases those people like the failed purchase of a player.

And what about all the other teams like Arsenal, Aston vill etc etc ? 

Our owners are taking the piss , and I'm afraid Klopp is letting us down ( to a degree) . We all know what a great manager and character is , but he needs to demand more. 

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Revenue isn't the same as wealth, it's why Newcastle are 20th and PSG are 5th.

I never said it was - but we clearly are not skint and it is beyond boring the constant narrative that we are. If the 3rd highest revenue generating football in the world spends less on transfers than say Arsenal for example - then that is a choice - not a necessity.

We choose to be very risk averse, we choose to operate how we do.

And that is fine - that is a strategy the people who own the club have the right to follow - and one they can point to a trophy haul between 2019 and 2022 that shows it worked - but let's stop this bullshit about 'oooh poor ickle liverpool have to do things differently, poor ickle liverpool are skint'

It is a really bad look for the club and bollocks.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It wasn't a fake bid but a very unlikely one to succeed and Klopp pretty much knew this with his sour comments not just at the time but the sarcasm about agreeing with the club and player when Endo signed. Tchoumeni was unlikely and we fucked up not going for a second choice, Bellingham and Colwill where unlikely, its imperative we don't do what we did last season and go with what we have and then destroyed the teams competitive edge as we did two seasons before when we went with what we had  and the whole world was saying its a huge mistake not to get defenders in. We sign nobody else I'm absolutely certain it will bite us on the arse most people are. Konate has proved already the risk of not doing business. I'm tired of the we go again with what we've got mentality, we are one of the biggest clubs on the planet, you'd think we were Forest.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

I never said it was - but we clearly are not skint and it is beyond boring the constant narrative that we are. If the 3rd highest revenue generating football in the world spends less on transfers than say Arsenal for example - then that is a choice - not a necessity.

We choose to be very risk averse, we choose to operate how we do.

And that is fine - that is a strategy the people who own the club have the right to follow - and one they can point to a trophy haul between 2019 and 2022 that shows it worked - but let's stop this bullshit about 'oooh poor ickle liverpool have to do things differently, poor ickle liverpool are skint'

It is a really bad look for the club and bollocks.

They have to do things differently to the likes of PSG, Man City, Chelsea and now Newcastle, that's always been Klopp's point.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

They have to do things differently to the likes of PSG, Man City, Chelsea and now Newcastle, that's always been Klopp's point.

Literally nobody is saying we have to spend like a state run club but we do have to spend more at the very least scout some damn players who may not be world class or have the potential to be and put our hands in our pockets to get them, even if its a bit more than we would like too because we don't control the market.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Nothing he hasn’t said before.

Hopefully he’s under promising before over delivering next week. 

That's a possibility. Hes playing the game making people forget the 111 million quid but we've all been to this rodeo before and it usually ends with us doing very little. Fingers crossed there's irons in the fire.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Nothing he hasn’t said before.

Nope, get's asked the question multiple times a summer by reporters and answers it the same way every time. It's like 50 first press conferences because every time he does people are aghast everything is set on fire and people forget the last time.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Literally nobody is saying we have to spend like a state run club but we do have to spend more at the very least scout some damn players who may not be world class or have the potential to be and put our hands in our pockets to get them, even if its a bit more than we would like too because we don't control the market.

You're telling the wrong person.

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

No they don't really. They choose to.

Ultimately all people ask is that the club is competitive when the need for squad additions is made and in that respect the playing field is leveller than we like to paint it. We just like to make out it isn't.

Newcastle have a net spend this window so far of 93m

Man City one of 95m

We could and with how things stand at moment almost inarguably should (and hopefully will) end with the window with a similar figure - we currently sit at 60m.

If we ended up at around 100m and that meant a centre half and another midfielder most people would be happy enough....that should be easily within the reach of a club like us, same as it is in reach of newcastle, man city, chelsea, arsenal etc.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

No they don't really. They choose to.

Newcastle have a net spend this window so far of 93m

Man City one of 95m

We could and with how things stand at moment almost inarguably should (and hopefully will) end with the window with a similar figure - we currently sit at 60m.

The benefit for teams like City, PSG and Chelsea (less so Newcastle at the moment) isn't what they can spend in a single window in relation to us its how they can adapt to/cover mistakes and move on.

If Gvardiol or Caicedo don't work they can cut their losses and move on to the next 100 million pound player. or bury them away on the bench and distract people with something else that is shiny.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It'd be far more helpful if they published the embargoed section of the press conference in it's entirety instead of publishing everything a manager says with no questions so it looks like a manager has gone on some mad tirade.

This is a bit deeper not sure if is all of it like but still....

We have our situation," said the Reds boss. "There was one year when money was less of an issue because Phil (Coutinho) went to Barcelona and we could do two sensational transfers. But we always spend over the years when we have to improve. From the team when I arrived here eight years ago, there's only Joe Gomez left. There has been a lot of business and we've had to do it our way.

"Since I've been here, we have had to (live within our means). The club has had to, and of course that doesn't make it easier. The problem is not our situation, it's just in comparison to the other main teams. We have to be on point. That's pretty much the thing. There is not a lot of space for failure.

"We cannot put sticks around the area and hope that nobody will run through. That’s how it is. I have no problem with that. We do really well, and as long as it is all by the rules I have no problem (with the spending of other clubs)."

Klopp added: "Other teams will do their things. In the end it’s the circumstances, they might be different but it’s all about what you make of it. That's where we try to make a difference in a positive direction but we will see. I want to improve the squad, I absolutely do. But I have all the information around and I know what is possible and not possible, and it's not always exactly what I want.

"But it is not my job to complain, it is my job to take the team we have at the end of the transfer window and make the best of it and not sitting here thinking (grumbles) 'oh they have this and they have that'. That's how I understand it.

"I’m pretty sure there are always heated discussions in the market and I can’t remember a transfer window where every single person was happy with the window we had. Everyone always says ‘we should do this, we should do that, another centre-half and another number six and another number eight and another striker’."

Klopp has made no secret in the past of difficulties during a transfer window, particularly when the season is underway and his players are being linked elsewhere. Mohamed Salah is the latest, with reports from Saudi Arabia suggesting Al-Ittihad are preparing an attempt to lure the Egyptian away from Anfield.

"I was always glad when transfer windows are over!" said Klopp. "I'm absolutely in it. While this window is open... I'm not sure what the percentage of true stories is in the newspapers, so thank God I'm not in it, but I'm pretty sure there have been times where I've been asked about something and I've thought 'eh, I don't even know the player'."

Just now, TD_LFC said:

The benefit for teams like City, PSG and Chelsea (less so Newcastle at the moment) isn't what they can spend in a single window in relation to us its how they can adapt to/cover mistakes and move on.

If Gvardiol or Caicedo don't work they can cut their losses and move on to the next 100 million pound player. or bury them away on the bench and distract people with something else that is shiny.

They also are more ruthless at moving players on who don't work out and doing so before they are worthless and therefore getting top money for them and then using that money towards improving.

Our 1 in 1 out policy and hanging onto washed up players too long kills us - we'd have hung onto Hendo for another 2 years if the saudis hadn't come in - a new dimension to everything but without it he'd still be here eating up 200k a week and adding nothing any good...

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

This is a bit deeper not sure if is all of it like but still....

We have our situation," said the Reds boss. "There was one year when money was less of an issue because Phil (Coutinho) went to Barcelona and we could do two sensational transfers. But we always spend over the years when we have to improve. From the team when I arrived here eight years ago, there's only Joe Gomez left. There has been a lot of business and we've had to do it our way.

"Since I've been here, we have had to (live within our means). The club has had to, and of course that doesn't make it easier. The problem is not our situation, it's just in comparison to the other main teams. We have to be on point. That's pretty much the thing. There is not a lot of space for failure.

"We cannot put sticks around the area and hope that nobody will run through. That’s how it is. I have no problem with that. We do really well, and as long as it is all by the rules I have no problem (with the spending of other clubs)."

Klopp added: "Other teams will do their things. In the end it’s the circumstances, they might be different but it’s all about what you make of it. That's where we try to make a difference in a positive direction but we will see. I want to improve the squad, I absolutely do. But I have all the information around and I know what is possible and not possible, and it's not always exactly what I want.

"But it is not my job to complain, it is my job to take the team we have at the end of the transfer window and make the best of it and not sitting here thinking (grumbles) 'oh they have this and they have that'. That's how I understand it.

"I’m pretty sure there are always heated discussions in the market and I can’t remember a transfer window where every single person was happy with the window we had. Everyone always says ‘we should do this, we should do that, another centre-half and another number six and another number eight and another striker’."

Klopp has made no secret in the past of difficulties during a transfer window, particularly when the season is underway and his players are being linked elsewhere. Mohamed Salah is the latest, with reports from Saudi Arabia suggesting Al-Ittihad are preparing an attempt to lure the Egyptian away from Anfield.

"I was always glad when transfer windows are over!" said Klopp. "I'm absolutely in it. While this window is open... I'm not sure what the percentage of true stories is in the newspapers, so thank God I'm not in it, but I'm pretty sure there have been times where I've been asked about something and I've thought 'eh, I don't even know the player'."

Which is what I read but you have to go looking for it and still doesn't have the questions asked.

Once that get's chunked up for clicks it becomes three or four sentences.

But we always spend over the years when we have to improve. From the team when I arrived here eight years ago, there's only Joe Gomez left. There has been a lot of business and we've had to do it our way.

for example get's universally ignored from Klopp's comments because it's less easy to sell the Klopp's finally losing patience and speaking out narrative (even though Klopp takes some of the responsibility for our transfer dealings).

16 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We shouldn't still be scouting at this stage. We should know all about any players we are interested in. Including character traits and weaknesses in their game.

• Upvote 1