You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dodged a bullet with Moises Caicedo / Code says he's bang average

an tha

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, but they dont have to be in a hurry. I dont know why people keep ignoring this. He wants to go there and Brighton cant force him to go here so essentially,  this delay, whatever the reason, is meaningless. 

His representatives are said to be a nightmare to deal with, so it will likely rumble on. 

I think a delay in this can benefit us as much as Chelsea, especially if Klopp gets to talk to him at some point. 

Of course, if we're sure he doesn't want to join us we might just pull out on Monday after we've played them. Not sure anybody knows anything for certain. 

44 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

FootballTransfers understands that Brighton never wanted to sell Caicedo to Chelsea. They were talking with Liverpool the whole time and were waiting for the right moment to do the deal.

However, sources have told us that the Ecuador international does not want to join Liverpool and only wants to sign for Chelsea.

If he is so set on Chelsea, and only Chelsea, all he has to do is formally reject our offer and Liverpool are removed from the equation. He's not done that yet so "does not want to join Liverpool", as things stand (and as they've reported), is absolute fucking bollocks.

Have a feeling he told us that out of respect, he wants to give Chelsea XX hours to match the bid and if they do, he'll go there as they've chased him for longer.

I think the club has accepted this as being a fair stance given we came out of nowhere and are confident because they don't think Chelsea can put a bid together in XX hours.

Think we will hear today that he has agreed terms with us and decided to join Liverpool. There must be confidence and a degree of seriousness here if Billy Hogan is getting involved (sidenote for another thread: what the fuck is the point of that fat fuck Jorge?)

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

His representatives are said to be a nightmare to deal with, so it will likely rumble on. 

I think a delay in this can benefit us as much as Chelsea, especially if Klopp gets to talk to him at some point. 

Of course, if we're sure he doesn't want to join us we might just pull out on Monday after we've played them. Not sure anybody knows anything for certain. 

The only way we sign him is if we get him to prefer us over Chelsea, and thats been said to be out the window. So if thats true, this stalling is for nothing. Unless Caicedo gave Chelsea a time limit, but what are the chances of that. 

46 minutes ago, clangers said:

True.

City, Everton still haven't been punished, it's taking an age to address what are pretty clear breaches. The Premiership aren't keen on damaging their own product so it will be dragged out and then a fine imposed. UEFA haven't exactly been too successful taking down the obvious offenders either.

I’d suggest City’s going back a decade & potentially equating to fraud and the Ev’s COVID19 losses muddy the waters a bit.

I’d assume Chelsea is easier to prove given their transfer next spend since Boehly took over is -c.£544m and (this window to date) +c.£47m and have no CL or EL this season. 

We’ll have to see. 

I fully expect them to weasel something workable. 

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, but they dont have to be in a hurry. I dont know why people keep ignoring this. He wants to go there and Brighton cant force him to go here so essentially,  this delay, whatever the reason, is meaningless. 

We aren't in that much of a hurry either, we were always going into Sundays game with no DM (as stupid as that is). Yes Brighton can't force him, but they can also sit there and say "go to Liverpool we are only accepting their bid". Eventually, after days of sweating it out in a hotel room, he would soon change his tune.

He has already changed his mind once and was open to the move. It's not like the bid is coming from Leyton Orient here, plus we already enquired about him before. He knows we want him, his teammate has just joined us and we are still a massive club...he would soon change his mind again i dont have any doubts or worries about that. 

17 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I'd consider walking at this point its a shit show. 

The player doesn't want us and £110 million was always way too much money if we are honest. 

FSG aren't responsible for this particular fuck up (other than all the things that lead us to this point which they absolutley are). 

If the player doesn't change his tune just walk away with your helds held high. 

It is begging a guy who doesn't want us that would make us look weak. 

I see what your saying but he clearly did say he was open to the move, otherwise we wouldnt have bid. The rat agent probably got offered a bigger bung by Bohely and has tried to force that move through and turned the players head again.

We aren't begging by staying in the race, we obviously know that the player would still be open to a move if Chelsea can't get the money together. Klopp always said he only wants players who want to play for him and Liverpool...he would have told us to walk away from this normally. So something else is going on here...

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Only insofar as I want to see Chelsea have to pay a lot more than they thought they would.

They were offering Brighton around £80m until we got involved and it now looks like they will have to pay them £115m to get it done, so mission accomplished on that part I’d say. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The only way we sign him is if we get him to prefer us over Chelsea, and thats been said to be out the window. So if thats true, this stalling is for nothing. Unless Caicedo gave Chelsea a time limit, but what are the chances of that. 

The whole Lavia thing complicates everything too, and Chelsea have possibly turned him into a £55m footballer in the way we turned Caicedo into a £110m one. 

Right now it's like the final scene in Reservoir Dogs with everyone pointing a gun at someone else. Ourselves and Chelsea aren't likely to come to a gentleman's agreement on Caicedo/Lavia either. 

11 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Interesting. I’ve not seen that figure anywhere else but when I posted it here…

I think it was @backseatsmanlfc , I genuinely can’t remember 100%. 

I would dig it out but there have been so many comments on it over the past 36 hours, I can’t be arsed to dig it out. 

5 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

We aren't in that much of a hurry either, we were always going into Sundays game with no DM (as stupid as that is). Yes Brighton can't force him, but they can also sit there and say "go to Liverpool we are only accepting their bid". Eventually, after days of sweating it out in a hotel room, he would soon change his tune.

He has already changed his mind once and was open to the move. It's not like the bid is coming from Leyton Orient here, plus we already enquired about him before. He knows we want him, his teammate has just joined us and we are still a massive club...he would soon change his mind again i dont have any doubts or worries about that. 

I see what your saying but he clearly did say he was open to the move, otherwise we wouldnt have bid. The rat agent probably got offered a bigger bung by Bohely and has tried to force that move through and turned the players head again.

We aren't begging by staying in the race, we obviously know that the player would still be open to a move if Chelsea can't get the money together. Klopp always said he only wants players who want to play for him and Liverpool...he would have told us to walk away from this normally. So something else is going on here...

Agreed. 2 things have stuck me the fact no further offer from Chelsea has been made and the fact we have not withdrawn our bid 

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think it was @backseatsmanlfc , I genuinely can’t remember 100%. 

I would dig it out but there have been so many comments on it over the past 36 hours, I can’t be arsed to dig it out. 

I don’t blame you in the slightest. 

I’ve been following this constantly wanting to be proven wrong and to watch him kicking shit out of the chavs on Sunday. 

But some random ITK saying the same figure sounded odd. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Not being able to comply with FFP is a money issue I’d say. 

More and more seems to be coming out about it. 

Still, we’ll see. I don’t expect it to happen and I hope Plan B is operational as soon as this doesnt happen. 

You think there is a plan B? Good for you.

This is the 12. august and the league has started. Klopp wanted the shopping to be done early, but here we are with no likely solution in sight.

There is no plan B. There wasn`t even a decent plan A. Whatever we do now will make the Arthur deal last summer look like a act of genious.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

If we had a competent recruitment team it would make sense to line up a bunch of backup deals while Chelsea and Caicedo’s agents fanny about deciding what they’re going to do. Ideally if Chelsea match the bid we could switch to the other targets quickly and with no fuss.

We're surely lining up a few other options. We've possibly priced ourselves out of the Lavia deal though with this weird game of poker with Chelsea, if we didn't want to pay £50m in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

If we had a competent recruitment team it would make sense to line up a bunch of backup deals while Chelsea and Caicedo’s agents fanny about deciding what they’re going to do. Ideally if Chelsea match the bid we could switch to the other targets quickly and with no fuss.

It maybe the case that we do have a plan B. Did you see us bidding 111 million for a player a week ago? It's pretty safe all of us were blindsided by it. Time will tell how this all pans out but this Caicedo thing is not over yet I expect a few more twists and turns before we get to an outcome.

38 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Have a feeling he told us that out of respect, he wants to give Chelsea XX hours to match the bid and if they do, he'll go there as they've chased him for longer.

I think the club has accepted this as being a fair stance given we came out of nowhere and are confident because they don't think Chelsea can put a bid together in XX hours.

Think we will hear today that he has agreed terms with us and decided to join Liverpool. There must be confidence and a degree of seriousness here if Billy Hogan is getting involved (sidenote for another thread: what the fuck is the point of that fat fuck Jorge?)

That's an extremely reasoned and logical post.

You can get ta fuck!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

While I broadly agree with you he's not coming here, he's a 21 year old kid who wants his future resolving..I think it's pretty reasonable to expect him to run out of patience at some point. Who knows, that might have happened now. 

21 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Ecuadorian football correspondent…

Romano "here we go" tweet to follow in about half an hour. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We're surely lining up a few other options. We've possibly priced ourselves out of the Lavia deal though with this weird game of poker with Chelsea, if we didn't want to pay £50m in the first place. 

To be honest I still expect Caicedo to sign for us. I find it strange no improved bid has been forthcoming from Chelsea for a player they allegedly want so bad. But as the same time I'm pretty sure we have plans if it doesn't pan out we would be stupid not to have. 

• dave u changed the title to Dodged a bullet with Moises Caicedo / Code says he's bang average