You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

8 hours ago, CapeRed said:

I’ve seen milk turn quicker than Tielemans and we can’t afford to be gambling on players. Te the players in the first para is there enough goals potential there ?

Even at our best, the midfielders rarely scored goals. 

Mac Allister has 10 goals this season, Barella has 7. 

9 hours ago, Razoray said:

Except pace and the ability to run. Not for us. 

I can’t say I’ve watched Wolves much, Neves seems all action to me. Certainly not afraid to put his foot in and has a good passing range.

Plus, Lijnders loves him…

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Even at our best, the midfielders rarely scored goals. 

Mac Allister has 10 goals this season, Barella has 7. 

the other point on pace is that since before Klopp joined, we haven't had pace in the midfield.  Even in their heyday, Henderson, Wijnauldum, and to a lesser extent Milner were all pretty slow.

9 hours ago, CapeRed said:

I’ve seen milk turn quicker than Tielemans and we can’t afford to be gambling on players. Te the players in the first para is there enough goals potential there ?

Surely not going for bellingham means we know we can't fix the midfield with a big signing, a free who's best days are behind him and keeping milner or whatever. We need 3 quality midfielders as a starting point and tielemans isn't one of them.

Gini definitely covered the ground and was quick over 5 yards, as did Hendo to a lesser extent although he's more crosscountry. God I miss seeing Gini win a 60/40, shield it from 2 players and then lay off a simple ball.

We've simply got to get this summer right 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I can’t say I’ve watched Wolves much, Neves seems all action to me. Certainly not afraid to put his foot in and has a good passing range.

Plus, Lijnders loves him…

This is not an endorsement!

Mac Allister is the one for me, if we get a couple of hard pressing units and a more attack minded midfielder I’d much prefer the attack minded one has a premier league pedigree. We’ve seen loads of attacking midfielders fail here due to the lack of space they’re afforded. Caicedo is should be the highest name on the list for Bellingham alternatives, he’s a bit more than a holding player for me. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, stringvest said:

the other point on pace is that since before Klopp joined, we haven't had pace in the midfield.  Even in their heyday, Henderson, Wijnauldum, and to a lesser extent Milner were all pretty slow.

While Hendo and Gini were never the fastest, I wouldn’t call them slow. 

I would say that they are very athletic players, strong runners, who could still have the same pace / intensity in the 85th minutes as they could in the 10th.

None of our current crop of players possess the qualities of those 2 in their prime. 

I’m sure I’ve seen a stat that Nunes was one of the fastest midfielders in the league this season, just looked for it but couldn’t find it. 

31 minutes ago, stringvest said:

While Hendo and Gini were never the fastest, I wouldn’t call them slow. 

I would say that they are very athletic players, strong runners, who could still have the same pace / intensity in the 85th minutes as they could in the 10th.

None of our current crop of players possess the qualities of those 2 in their prime. 

I’m sure I’ve seen a stat that Nunes was one of the fastest midfielders in the league this season, just looked for it but couldn’t find it. 

• Upvote 1

Just sign Ugarte and Mac Allister.

Toss a coin on one of the shit-cunt English midfielders at Chelsea (and hope it comes down on the least worse option of Mount), and while you're shopping at the Chelsea fire sale have a look at Colwill and maybe one of the other 30 kids that'll be packing their bags, add a veteran 2nd/3rd choice homegrown eligible keeper (Zieler?) and that's the supplemental English players for quota reasons dealt with.

If we're not looking to sign a striker, Southampton get relegated, and we happen to have money left over (probably not) then try and jump in on Lavia before City's buyback clause kicks in in 2024.

Go on holiday for the summer.

20 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Just sign Ugarte and Mac Allister.

Toss a coin on one of the shit-cunt English midfielders at Chelsea (and hope it comes down on the least worse option of Mount), and while you're shopping at the Chelsea fire sale have a look at Colwill and maybe one of the other 30 kids that'll be packing their bags, add a veteran 2nd/3rd choice homegrown eligible keeper (Zieler?) and that's the supplemental English players for quota reasons dealt with.

If we're not looking to sign a striker, Southampton get relegated, and we happen to have money left over (probably not) then try and jump in on Lavia before City's buyback clause kicks in in 2024.

Go on holiday for the summer.

I'm on board with this, I'd be seriously looking at all of the good young players Chelsea stockpiled under Abramovich.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Surely not going for bellingham means we know we can't fix the midfield with a big signing, a free who's best days are behind him and keeping milner or whatever. We need 3 quality midfielders as a starting point and tielemans isn't one of them.

I hope we have names in mind and also, as I said on another thread, I hope we are going to buy the right players  and not FSG’s idea of players at the right price.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

That's just bollocks really. Locking most of them players makes sense. The only one you can question is 4 years to a 31 year old Henderson. But if someone is leaking that shit they can get to fuck, though I'd guess its the normal people adding 2+2 and getting 367. Nobody could see the fall off this year coming as badly as it has

25 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

That's just bollocks really. Locking most of them players makes sense. The only one you can question is 4 years to a 31 year old Henderson. But if someone is leaking that shit they can get to fuck, though I'd guess its the normal people adding 2+2 and getting 367. Nobody could see the fall off this year coming as badly as it has

The age profile of our squad is deffo on the high side and not only is it on the high side, it is on the high side with players who have put heavy, hard mileage on their clocks in recent years.

The concern about the age profile being supposedly "flagged" is the interesting part for me.

Bit fed up of this sort of noise coming out mind, we seem to be a club who have gone from being really tightly run, and really well organised and efficient at everything, and together - to being a bit of a mess and being a little bit fractured....

And some of our decisions have been baffling.