You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

The age profile of our squad is deffo on the high side and not only is it on the high side, it is on the high side with players who have put heavy, hard mileage on their clocks in recent years.

The concern about the age profile being supposedly "flagged" is the interesting part for me.

Bit fed up of this sort of noise coming out mind, we seem to be a club who have gone from being really tightly run, and really well organised and efficient at everything, and together - to being a bit of a mess and being a little bit fractured....

And some of our decisions have been baffling.

It is starting to age but not giving deals to Robbo,Virg,Salah would have been stupid. Even Fabinho made sense at the time. The drop off has been huge but looks more mental than anything else. Our record in the big games shows they are still competing but when something goes wrong they are folding quickly most games

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

This and them supposedly wanting £70m will hopefully scupper any deal.

There won't be the same amount of crying there has about Bellingham though.

I’m with you on Mount. No crying on my part.

49 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’m with you on Mount. No crying on my part.

It wasn’t aimed at anybody in particular.

It was more Mount is supposedly a player Klopp really likes, young but experienced, homegrown, seemingly available but if we don’t sign him the majority, including me, will be made up if we don’t sign him. 

There certainly won’t be a Mount thread rehashing the same tired, baseless, conspiracy theories for the trillionth time.

Really, if it’s a case of backing the manager, there should be. 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

It is starting to age but not giving deals to Robbo,Virg,Salah would have been stupid. Even Fabinho made sense at the time. The drop off has been huge but looks more mental than anything else. Our record in the big games shows they are still competing but when something goes wrong they are folding quickly most games

Not so sure we had to give them all new deals myself - not 100% sure but got a feeling a fair number already had a good few years left on existing deals - maybe leaving them and then taking a view a year/two down the line may have been better?....

36 minutes ago, an tha said:

Not so sure we had to give them all new deals myself - not 100% sure but got a feeling a fair number already had a good few years left on existing deals - maybe leaving them and then taking a view a year/two down the line may have been better?....

Maybe, problem is so many of them were underpaid in terms of what they couldn't have gotten elsewhere and would likely have been pushing for moves if not. The whole article just reads as a easy shot at Klopp teams from someone on attached to the stat nerds, Its pure revisionist bollocks imo. 

41 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

This is since 2016. Villa and Wolves outspent us despite being in the Championship for parr of that period. Weirdly not being in the PL or CL didnt affect them. Nor Arsenal who have been out of the CL since 2016. 20230413_184205.jpg

This is the transfer thread.

If you want to complain, please take it to the FSG thread.

5 hours ago, an tha said:

Why is Melissa reddy saying this now? I seem to remember at the time she was telling us all how clever the club had been and the astute contract renewals meant we didn't have to spend any money. Or have all the people at the club who warned against the long contracts only just remembered today? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Why is Melissa reddy saying this now? I seem to remember at the time she was telling us all how clever the club had been and the astute contract renewals meant we didn't have to spend any money. Or have all the people at the club who warned against the long contracts only just remembered today? 

Wouldn't be shocked if Ward or Edwards is leaking shit 

Its all revisionist bollocks, imagine the uproar if we had been selling off Virg,Alisson,Robbo last summer as they're getting on

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Ward or Edwards is leaking shit 

Its all revisionist bollocks, imagine the uproar if we had been selling off Virg,Alisson,Robbo last summer as they're getting on

Exactly. And if it's ward, he can fuck off. Liverpool isn't good enough for him. Then Ajax isn't good enough for him. Like he has some track record of being anything other than a fucking nobody. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Maybe, problem is so many of them were underpaid in terms of what they couldn't have gotten elsewhere and would likely have been pushing for moves if not. The whole article just reads as a easy shot at Klopp teams from someone on attached to the stat nerds, Its pure revisionist bollocks imo. 

I get you, but i do recall people asking question at time - where we handing out too many new big deals to players....

2 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

This is since 2016. Villa and Wolves outspent us despite being in the Championship for parr of that period. Weirdly not being in the PL or CL didnt affect them. Nor Arsenal who have been out of the CL since 2016. 

Got bored so decided to have a look at the 'net spend' according to published accounts each year from 2016/17 - 2021/22 for Liverpool, Wolves and Arsenal covering the same period as the Sky Sports table above to see how they differ.

Liverpool

Spent - £728,559,000

Sold - £374,324,000

'Net' - £354,235,000

Arsenal

Spent - £862,893,000

Sold - £291,645,000

'Net' - £571,248,000

Wolves

Spent - £401,688,000

Sold - £143,655,000

'Net' - £325,635,000

Without going through every clubs accounts to update for the latest year it's a fair assumption that we sit around 5th in both Gross and Net spend, while still not good enough (certainly on gross) it's a lot better than 11th.

The year to year figures tally with the tables below (I've included the latest sets of accounts in my figures above which aren't included below) the methodology for calculation of both sets of figures is the same (shamelessly stolen from Swiss Ramble).

Spent

FVWpmufX0AEkfk4?format=jpg&name=large

Sales

FVWpnOfWQAAcH1I?format=jpg&name=large

'Net'

FVWpmLEX0AA2KZB?format=jpg&name=large