You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa (A) Premier League - 4/10/20 - 19:15

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think as Bobby said earlier, its not even annoyance it got weird. terrible midfield and defence. First half we attacked well. Robbo and Jota looked boss. We've played a lot worse.  

This. Our attacking play was very good up until they scored their 5th. That killer all hope. We could and should have scored 2 or 3 in the first half, which is decent away at any PL ground. The problem was everything to do with defending, and the whole team from front to back failed there.

12 minutes ago, A_S said:

You've got to wonder whether the coronavirus scare has affected the squad. A performance like that is so unlike this team, even on a bad day. 

Hopefully that's the full quota of deflected goals against for the season too. Unbelievable. 

I don't think it would have been but yeah, I don't think I've seen a Klopp side fold like that for a long time. 

Just file it to an absolute shit shambles and sort it out.

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Been a long time since I was so angry about a performance like that, fucking livid, but my lad has just sent me a video of my 16 month old Grandson who has Downs Syndrome trying to copy his Dad whistling and giggling and smiling.

I melted.

Perspectives lads.

Superb mate.

26 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

This is a false argument. If you believe that, it means the players around him are psychologically weak and cannot cope.

And once again the idea being floated that's there's some back up keeper we can just go and get is stuff of dreams. They're back up because they have faults in their game.

We win as a team and lose as a team. And tonight, the team wasnt good enough by a long chalk.

Agree to a point but Adrian is fucking dreadful mate, really, really poor, there just has to be a back up better than him and in fairness I think we may have to start considering a new number one because it’s looking like Alison is just lacking that wee bit of not being made of twiglets.

There has to be a huge reaction now otherwise a few people might be having a good rest. I would try and get an experienced keeper on a short term loan not knee jerk as we all know Adrian is cack. I think we won games despite him not because of him last season. A arl arse defender wouldn’t go amiss either. Easier said than done I know. Tonight was woeful, hope to god it is a blip. A fucking big blip though.

8 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I used to let these type of things bother me. But it's all part of the game. Win some, lose some. Every team gets a hiding at some stage. We deserved that and will get another couple like it in all liklihood.

The stress and anxiety of watching the team over the last few years has been awful for me at times. Now we've won the lot recently I'm just enjoying the game as a spectacle now, even when we lose. There's more to be stressed about these days than footballers making a dick of themselves. People also forget that they're human and can have off days. Let it go. 

Sort of get a lot of that, but it is the sheer scale of the defeat today that leaves deep worries for me....how many times for example in PL history has a team let in 7 - it is an unreal dicking.

It wasn't like getting dicked 5 away at Man City with 10 men, this is up there with the worst beatings any team has suffered in the league and that is not so easy to just put down to a 'bad day at the office' - this is on another level....this is the champions losing in a humiliating fashion to a team who will struggle to finish top half.

It isn't Watford last season (as bad as that was) it isn't even that shite day at Hull with Bogdan a few years ago....it is much, much worse than that - it is even worse than the capitulation at Stoke - that was a totally dead rubber.

I can for example only recall us scoring 7 maybe once in league in last 30 years (Soton at home) since the 9 v Palace that is how rare scoring 7 is....I honestly can't remember in 40 years plus of supporting us letting in 7 - that is the magnitude of this.

All that said though this side have been incredible for last 2 years and have a lot of credit in bank, so as bad as this is and as much as it hurts we should believe they will be desperate to and are able to put this right - Klopp will hopefully identify what is wrong, he will hopefully sort out one or two attitudes/issues with being too casual/switched off and we'll bounce back.

I do think we have some very hard work to do and some soul searching - i trust us to get it right, but today this feels bad.

Can I just say, regardless of the result, how fucking irritating it is when deflected goals are described as "deserved." The difference between a deflected goal and a blocked shot is dumb luck but one's seen as a waste of possession and the other is seen as "deserved that, can't win the lottery without buying a ticket" etc. We had 5 shots blocked tonight. Did we "deserve" five more goals for getting shots away? It's fucking bullshit.

We were utter shite but two key moments really went against us. Adrian basically set their gameplan up in the first five minutes - they were only ever going to sit deep and run at The High Line (TM) and getting a free goal early doors gave them a proper platform for it. Then after Salah pulled the first back we needed to build up a head of steam but that McGinn deflected goal just put us back to square one.

That said, we looked outrageously vulnerable. As someone said above, the high line works well when the forwards press cohesively, the midfield are aggressive at picking up loose balls, the defence are organised and straight and everyone has faith in a goalkeeper covering the rest: it's high risk but when it works it makes us virtually impossible to play against. None of those were in place today though and it just felt like a perfect storm - a slight change to the attack, a midfield that just weren't on it, and a defence that just seemed bedraggled - possibly due to the clown between the sticks. Add in three deflected goals - one of them coming at a crucial moment for them - and hopefully, hopefully, it's just one of those days.

We need a shaman for Alisson though. Or a new reserve keeper.

6 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Among all the other shite, let's not forget that penalty that wasn't given. Absolutely ridiculous. One of the most blatant penalties you'll see this season. 

Yep and yet when we get one it's dissected to death from every conceivableangle and at the end of it all they usually determine we shouldn't have got it 

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I agree he's poor at playing the ball with his feet. The obvious answer is to stop playing the ball back to him. The second thing is Jurgen tells him to stop fucking about when it is and just bang it long. Then again, people will say he's giving away possession but Id rather that that the poor goal he gifted tonight.

It's a difficult one though, isnt it? There's always someone better until the someone better drops a bollock.

I suppose if he just belts it then it upsets how we want to play...chances are that our front 3 aren't gonna win too many headers from a belted ball by keeper and risk is it comes straight back at us.

But on other hand maybe that is better than risking what saw today and other times with him.

Agree it is a difficult one.

A complete juxtaposition to last season's performance at Villa Park. Last year was genuinely one of my proudest moments supporting this club, it epitomised the determination, the grit, the never say die attitude of this time. For the first time in my life I believed we were going to win the league.

Tonight was just horrific from start to finish, what has happened to our world? What has happened to our game? It's a distorted reality. One we need to wake the fuck up from.

Arsenal got in against us with the high line and had one offside that was close - the match had only one goal in it at the time.

it’s interesting listening to villa players say they had a game plan and knew they’d get chances with the way we play 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Sort of get a lot of that, but it is the sheer scale of the defeat today that leaves deep worries for me....how many times for example in PL history has a team let in 7 - it is an unreal dicking.

It wasn't like getting dicked 5 away at Man City with 10 men, this is up there with the worst beatings any team has suffered in the league and that is not so easy to just put down to a 'bad day at the office' - this is on another level....this is the champions losing in a humiliating fashion to a team who will struggle to finish top half.

It isn't Watford last season (as bad as that was) it isn't even that shite day at Hull with Bogdan a few years ago....it is much, much worse than that - it is even worse than the capitulation at Stoke - that was a totally dead rubber.

I can for example only recall us scoring 7 maybe once in league in last 30 years (Soton at home) since the 9 v Palace that is how rare scoring 7 is....I honestly can't remember in 40 years plus of supporting us letting in 7 - that is the magnitude of this.

All that said though this side have been incredible for last 2 years and have a lot of credit in bank, so as bad as this is and as much as it hurts we should believe they will be desperate to and are able to put this right - Klopp will hopefully identify what is wrong, he will hopefully sort out one or two attitudes/issues with being too casual/switched off and we'll bounce back.

I do think we have some very hard work to do and some soul searching - i trust us to get it right, but today this feels bad.

What are you on? These defeats are a rare occurrence, Last heavy defeat like this we went on a 60 odd game without losing again. We've not champions of everything by accident, forget this one off shit show and prove who's boss when we play the bloos. 

giphy-1-1.gif