You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do not cheer your child: FA launches Silent Support Weekend

The Football Association will tell spectators and coaches to stay completely silent at youth matches amid efforts to tackle a rise in toxic touchline behaviour across the game.

After a week in which campaigners warned that grass-roots football is aping abuse seen in the elite game, the FA launches its "National Silent Support Weekend".

It is hoped the campaign will "reduce pressure on youth players at grass roots level" while also encouraging on-field respect towards referees.

The all-too-familiar culture of parents berating young players or shouting unhelpful instructions has been a bugbear of youth team coaches for generations.

Those on the touchline at fixtures nationwide on November 5 and 6 will be told to keep their interactions with the game limited to applause.

In a guide being shared with clubs as part of the initiative, the FA tells spectators that players should be allowed to "make mistakes", "to make their own decisions" and those on the touchline should "applaud good play from either team".

It is the first time all clubs at youth level have been asked to join a coordinated attempt although the  FA has successfully trialled silences at matches in recent months.

'It gives players a chance not to be distracted by the touchline'

"The National Silent Support Weekend is designed to promote respect in youth football," says Mark Bullingham, the FA's chief executive. "It gives players an opportunity to focus fully on their game and not be distracted by the touchline. As a grass-roots coach, I have taken part in trials and seen the benefits first hand. It was so well received by the players that we have worked with county FAs to offer the first National Silent Support weekend. We hope a large number of clubs across the country will join in and provide a fun environment for young players to find their voice."

The campaign comes after a week in which Telegraph Sport reported how referees arecalling on the League Managers’ Association to improve touchline behaviour by coaches at the top of the game. Ref Support UK say that there is a direct correlation between the sort of anger that was evident at Anfield on Sunday, when Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp furiously shouted in the face of fourth official Gary Beswick, and copycat behaviour that may then spiral even further out of control at a grass roots level.

Numerous other referees have previously Telegraph Sport that abuse even at junior levels has never been worse. The Merseyside Youth Football League, which has more than 150 teams, called off an entire day of matches earlier this season due to “multiple incidents of inappropriate and threatening behaviour”.

'Show your support with applause only'

The FA's new campaign puts the onus on those on the touchline to set a better example.  In literature being shared with local leagues across the country, the FA writes: "Sometimes we need a reminder to make sure we put the players first. This weekend actions speak louder than words. In our first Silent Support Weekend to promote Respect in Youth Football, and we want you to play an important part. We’re encouraging spectators and coaches to show their support during the match through applause only. This will reduce pressure and confusion and give players a better opportunity to find their own voice and develop their game."

Clubs are then encouraged to provide feedback on whether the initiative helped ahead of a "second Silent Support weekend later in the season".

4327yt.gif

12 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

The Football Association has been urged to issue tougher sanctions against Jurgen Klopp after he escaped a touchline ban for his tirade at officials.

Grass-roots referees say they are "dumbstruck" that the Liverpool manager has instead been fined £30,000 after his red card against Manchester City.

The FA will now digest the findings of the independent disciplinary panel which determined the punishment. The governing body is under pressure from Martin Cassidy, chief executive of Ref Support UK, to beef up the sanction. 

"I'm a Liverpool fan born and bred but this so-called punishment cannot be accepted," Cassidy told Telegraph Sport. "We are just putting Jurgen Klopp on a naughty step and hoping he behaves."

Ref Support UK say there is a direct correlation between the sort of anger that was evident at Anfield and copycat behaviour that may spiral further out of control at a grass-roots level.

Klopp was sent off by referee Anthony Taylor in the 76th minute of Liverpool’s 1-0 win over the champions. It followed an incident in which he strongly criticised the assistant referee, Gary Beswick, for not awarding a foul after Mohamed Salah was pulled to ground by Bernardo Silva.

Yet in contrast with Klopp getting the green light to return to the touchline, Antonio Conte is expected to serve an automatic ban for Tottenham's Champions League match at Marseille next week after his angry outburst on Wednesday. His red card came in a Uefa competition where there is almost always an automatic one-match suspension.

In Klopp's case, there is precedent for the FA to potentially take issue with rulings of its independent panel. Cassidy pointed out that the FA appealed a decision in 2018 to clear Jose Mourinho of using foul and or abusive language while he was at Manchester United.

"I call for the FA to do the same here," Cassidy added. "These are some of the best referees in the world and he thinks it's appropriate to act like that. I just don't understand it. I'm really conflicted because I'm a Liverpool fan born and bred. I was raised within the lights of Anfield. But I'm dumbstruck by this."

FA wants stronger action at grass-roots level

Grass-roots sporting leaders have repeatedly warned of amateur players aping behaviours in the elite as abuse against referees surge at all levels. The FA is known to be taking the issue very seriously and had taken the unusual step of writing to every grass-roots participant, whether coach, player or parent, at the start of the season to warn that "inappropriate" behaviour went too far last season and that they will consider harsher sanctions.

In a letter to the League Managers Association last week, Ref Support UK also wrote that many leading managers exhibit “aggressive, agitated, inappropriate and often abusive” behaviour and that a serious problem “is escalating”.

The FA had charged Klopp with improper conduct and, having accepted that he behaved "improperly", had been expected to send him to the stands for at least one fixture.

However, upon considering the case, the independent panel determined a £30,000 fine was adequate punishment. The FA confirmed that they and Klopp can appeal the decision should they wish.

Klopp expressed his regret about his behaviour immediately after the game and apologised to Beswick in the aftermath. “There is no excuse, I don’t want an excuse, it happened and it was obvious as everyone saw it," he said last week. "That he gave me a red card is absolutely OK.”

Although Klopp has had previous touchline confrontations, it is the first time during his seven years in English football that he has ever been in such trouble with the authorities, which may explain the relatively lenient punishment.

Amid efforts to tackle a rise in toxic touchline behaviours across the game, Telegraph Sport reported last week that the FA is holding a "National Silent Support Weekend" where spectators and coaches will be urged only to clap at youth matches on Nov 5 and 6.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/10/27/jurgen-klopp-escapes-touchline-ban-shouting-assistant-referee/

So, the FA wrote to all at grass roots level about behaviour LAST season and these guys are worried that people will NOW copy Klopp's behaviour????

Surely, if it was an issue, the FA would have changed their rules at the end of the season and the independent panel will have used those rules to punish Klopp now?

Sounds like the issue is the FA have done nothing to change their punishment criteria (what a surprise) and that is the problem. Not sure how they can change them now and then punish Klopp retrospectively? If they did I think Klopp has every reason to go after them. 

If this guy is so keen for the punishment to serve as an example at grassroots, because apparently anyone at grass roots will follow Klopp's example without any personal responsibility, maybe they should also be fined £30,000. I reckon that would wipe it out in a weekend and much faster than a 5 game ban would.

4 hours ago, Fugitive said:

Do not cheer your child: FA launches Silent Support Weekend

The Football Association will tell spectators and coaches to stay completely silent at youth matches amid efforts to tackle a rise in toxic touchline behaviour across the game.

After a week in which campaigners warned that grass-roots football is aping abuse seen in the elite game, the FA launches its "National Silent Support Weekend".

It is hoped the campaign will "reduce pressure on youth players at grass roots level" while also encouraging on-field respect towards referees.

The all-too-familiar culture of parents berating young players or shouting unhelpful instructions has been a bugbear of youth team coaches for generations.

Those on the touchline at fixtures nationwide on November 5 and 6 will be told to keep their interactions with the game limited to applause.

In a guide being shared with clubs as part of the initiative, the FA tells spectators that players should be allowed to "make mistakes", "to make their own decisions" and those on the touchline should "applaud good play from either team".

It is the first time all clubs at youth level have been asked to join a coordinated attempt although the  FA has successfully trialled silences at matches in recent months.

'It gives players a chance not to be distracted by the touchline'

"The National Silent Support Weekend is designed to promote respect in youth football," says Mark Bullingham, the FA's chief executive. "It gives players an opportunity to focus fully on their game and not be distracted by the touchline. As a grass-roots coach, I have taken part in trials and seen the benefits first hand. It was so well received by the players that we have worked with county FAs to offer the first National Silent Support weekend. We hope a large number of clubs across the country will join in and provide a fun environment for young players to find their voice."

The campaign comes after a week in which Telegraph Sport reported how referees arecalling on the League Managers’ Association to improve touchline behaviour by coaches at the top of the game. Ref Support UK say that there is a direct correlation between the sort of anger that was evident at Anfield on Sunday, when Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp furiously shouted in the face of fourth official Gary Beswick, and copycat behaviour that may then spiral even further out of control at a grass roots level.

Numerous other referees have previously Telegraph Sport that abuse even at junior levels has never been worse. The Merseyside Youth Football League, which has more than 150 teams, called off an entire day of matches earlier this season due to “multiple incidents of inappropriate and threatening behaviour”.

'Show your support with applause only'

The FA's new campaign puts the onus on those on the touchline to set a better example.  In literature being shared with local leagues across the country, the FA writes: "Sometimes we need a reminder to make sure we put the players first. This weekend actions speak louder than words. In our first Silent Support Weekend to promote Respect in Youth Football, and we want you to play an important part. We’re encouraging spectators and coaches to show their support during the match through applause only. This will reduce pressure and confusion and give players a better opportunity to find their own voice and develop their game."

Clubs are then encouraged to provide feedback on whether the initiative helped ahead of a "second Silent Support weekend later in the season".

4327yt.gif

Thats been going on for years.

15 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Klopp should come out and say I'm happy to be sidelined for my actions, I do not wish to set a bad example and then let the stomach ulcers reach for the Rennies.

This is the best solution. Not 'happy' but 'I deserve and accept' and will move on and take it onboard.

I am a member of one or two of those forums and there are some fair points,I've also pointed out the behaviour of other managers who have done far worse,Mourinho,Wenger,Ferguson,Guardiola et al and their misdeeds. Klopp does need to take responsibility BUT people at my level need to realise that professional football at that level now is a completely different world,officials included,and the authorities and especially the meek FA are the people mostly responsible for how it has become. 

This is a terrible and bizarre decision.

I love Jurgen, and obviously don't want him to be banned, but not to be banned after getting a red card is just bizarre.  It should be automatic.

Their decision has made it worse as now it will be talked about much more.  It's going to go on and on.

He should have got his one game in the stands against Leeds and we all move on.

This will just keep it in the headlines and talk radio discussions.

The only silver lining is the enjoyment I'll get reading Everton Twitter...

1 hour ago, razor said:

This is a terrible and bizarre decision.

I love Jurgen, and obviously don't want him to be banned, but not to be banned after getting a red card is just bizarre.  It should be automatic.

Their decision has made it worse as now it will be talked about much more.  It's going to go on and on.

He should have got his one game in the stands against Leeds and we all move on.

This will just keep it in the headlines and talk radio discussions.

The only silver lining is the enjoyment I'll get reading Everton Twitter...

But it's not unique. It's already happened this season (can't remember which manager now)

It's kinda hypocritical that so many people are completely losing their shit at representatives of the FA for making a decision  that they look at and think "how the hell did they come to that conclusion when faced with that evidence" about a guy that lost his shit at a representative of the FA for making a decision that everyone looked at and thought "how the hell did they come to that conclusion when faced with that evidence".

• Upvote 2

Think we all agree with this!

Jurgen Klopp has light-heatedly said he hopes his international stars make early exits from the World Cup to improve Liverpool's chances of success this season.

Klopp insists the tournament is not on the minds of his players and is not a factor in their inconsistent start to the campaign.

But he believes his squad will be in better shape once the domestic season resumes at the end of December because he hopes to have a fully-fit squad by then, depending of course on events in Qatar.

Brazilian trio Alisson, Fabinho and Roberto Firmino, Holland defender Virgil Van Dijk, Uruguyan striker Darwin Nunez, England midfielder Jordan Henderson - and possibly Trent Alexander-Arnold - will all be heading to the Middle East when the season breaks on November 13.

Asked if Liverpool will be a better and more consistent team post-World Cup he replied: "If different means better then yes, we will be different. Yes, we will have trained, yes, we will have players back but it also depends on how the players come back from the World Cup. I have no idea about that.

"If they all come back healthy from the World Cup or if they all go out early and have a break and can then train with us for three and a half weeks that would be absolutely outstanding. But there are a lot of 'ifs.'

Striker Diogo Jota has already been ruled out of Portugal's World Cup squad because of a torn calf muscle but Klopp says fears of injury and missing the tournament are not a concern for his other Qatar-bound players.

“There is no player I know who would think 'oh be careful' because the players I know - and our players for sure - are a 1000 per cent committed. Players who think about the World Cup are the ones who who run the risk of getting injured."

Klopp hopes to have injured players like Jota, Luis Diaz, Naby Keita and Joe Matip fully fit once the domestic season resumes but says all his focus now is to win the three Premier League games left before the break, starting against Leeds at Anfield this evening, to ensure the gap on the leaders does not widen.

A boost will be the return of influential midfielder Thiago Alcantara after an ear infection forced him to miss the last two games. Fellow midfielder Henderson, though, faces a late fitness test on the knee injury he suffered against Ajax in midweek.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/10/28/jurgen-klopp-hopes-liverpool-players-knocked-world-cup-early/

We are public enemy number 1 now. The picture of klopp screaming down the linesman’s ear looks terrible but when you see they’ve paused it at the right moment when he runs right past klopp you realise what a stitch up it was. 

He probably didn’t even hear what was said and the ref couldn’t wait to get that red card out. 

Now we all know he said “how didn't you see that” and the FA have not seen fit to ban him further yet it’s still portrayed as worse than the most horrendous racist abuse.

Id love him to not get involved with anything outside of us from now on. The man’s light years ahead of what needs fixing in football but he’s surrounded by cowards and is living in a country full of thick cunts so he’ll never win. How the fuck he got dragged into an argument with Gaby fucking Agbonlahor I’ll never know.

7 hours ago, Red74 said:

We are public enemy number 1 now. The picture of klopp screaming down the linesman’s ear looks terrible but when you see they’ve paused it at the right moment when he runs right past klopp you realise what a stitch up it was. 

He probably didn’t even hear what was said and the ref couldn’t wait to get that red card out. 

Now we all know he said “how didn't you see that” and the FA have not seen fit to ban him further yet it’s still portrayed as worse than the most horrendous racist abuse.

Id love him to not get involved with anything outside of us from now on. The man’s light years ahead of what needs fixing in football but he’s surrounded by cowards and is living in a country full of thick cunts so he’ll never win. How the fuck he got dragged into an argument with Gaby fucking Agbonlahor I’ll never know.

I don't know anyone that is even slightly arsed about it. Maybe City and Everton fans are, but then they're fucking mental. Every week I meet fans of loads of clubs, West ham, spurs, arsenal, Chelsea, man United, Brighton and a bunch of low league clubs. Nobody has mentioned this once. Nobody cares. 

4 hours ago, Bellflower said:

I learnt a long time ago that the worst thing you can be in English football is

A. German.

B. Uruguayan.

Argentinian is almost honorary English..........

Remember the shit Beckham got after the world cup when he got sent off? Hanging an effigy of him off a motorway bridge for fuck sake. So many football fans are absolute cunts who take it much too far. Look at that blueshite who started scraping with players while he had his kid in his arms. All rationality goes out of the window, thats why (despite not really liking players who bends the rules) I loved how much Suarez wound the fuck up out of everyone. This being my personal favourite:

ShimmeringGraveHomalocephale-size_restri

• Upvote 1