You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

34 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why has he not been banned. Is it because it was the most blatent foul you could ever hope to see and it was a disgrace no free kick was given or was it because silva also lashed out with the arm and a kick after the fact and should be punished for violent conduct and the officials yet again have done nothing.

Possibly, or it could have been because it’s impossible to ignore Guardiola’s behaviour if they ban Klopp.

He said it himself, it just looks worse when he gets angry, can't start banning people for looking scary

I don’t think I was disrespectful to anybody, but when you look at the pictures back, I know myself, at 55 years, the way I look in these moments is already worth a red card – who cares what I say.

The Football Association has been urged to issue tougher sanctions against Jurgen Klopp after he escaped a touchline ban for his tirade at officials.

Grass-roots referees say they are "dumbstruck" that the Liverpool manager has instead been fined £30,000 after his red card against Manchester City.

The FA will now digest the findings of the independent disciplinary panel which determined the punishment. The governing body is under pressure from Martin Cassidy, chief executive of Ref Support UK, to beef up the sanction. 

"I'm a Liverpool fan born and bred but this so-called punishment cannot be accepted," Cassidy told Telegraph Sport. "We are just putting Jurgen Klopp on a naughty step and hoping he behaves."

Ref Support UK say there is a direct correlation between the sort of anger that was evident at Anfield and copycat behaviour that may spiral further out of control at a grass-roots level.

Klopp was sent off by referee Anthony Taylor in the 76th minute of Liverpool’s 1-0 win over the champions. It followed an incident in which he strongly criticised the assistant referee, Gary Beswick, for not awarding a foul after Mohamed Salah was pulled to ground by Bernardo Silva.

Yet in contrast with Klopp getting the green light to return to the touchline, Antonio Conte is expected to serve an automatic ban for Tottenham's Champions League match at Marseille next week after his angry outburst on Wednesday. His red card came in a Uefa competition where there is almost always an automatic one-match suspension.

In Klopp's case, there is precedent for the FA to potentially take issue with rulings of its independent panel. Cassidy pointed out that the FA appealed a decision in 2018 to clear Jose Mourinho of using foul and or abusive language while he was at Manchester United.

"I call for the FA to do the same here," Cassidy added. "These are some of the best referees in the world and he thinks it's appropriate to act like that. I just don't understand it. I'm really conflicted because I'm a Liverpool fan born and bred. I was raised within the lights of Anfield. But I'm dumbstruck by this."

FA wants stronger action at grass-roots level

Grass-roots sporting leaders have repeatedly warned of amateur players aping behaviours in the elite as abuse against referees surge at all levels. The FA is known to be taking the issue very seriously and had taken the unusual step of writing to every grass-roots participant, whether coach, player or parent, at the start of the season to warn that "inappropriate" behaviour went too far last season and that they will consider harsher sanctions.

In a letter to the League Managers Association last week, Ref Support UK also wrote that many leading managers exhibit “aggressive, agitated, inappropriate and often abusive” behaviour and that a serious problem “is escalating”.

The FA had charged Klopp with improper conduct and, having accepted that he behaved "improperly", had been expected to send him to the stands for at least one fixture.

However, upon considering the case, the independent panel determined a £30,000 fine was adequate punishment. The FA confirmed that they and Klopp can appeal the decision should they wish.

Klopp expressed his regret about his behaviour immediately after the game and apologised to Beswick in the aftermath. “There is no excuse, I don’t want an excuse, it happened and it was obvious as everyone saw it," he said last week. "That he gave me a red card is absolutely OK.”

Although Klopp has had previous touchline confrontations, it is the first time during his seven years in English football that he has ever been in such trouble with the authorities, which may explain the relatively lenient punishment.

Amid efforts to tackle a rise in toxic touchline behaviours across the game, Telegraph Sport reported last week that the FA is holding a "National Silent Support Weekend" where spectators and coaches will be urged only to clap at youth matches on Nov 5 and 6.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/10/27/jurgen-klopp-escapes-touchline-ban-shouting-assistant-referee/