You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

16 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Whether Gomez has played at right back or not is irrelevant. When he plays there he looks out of place and gets injured. Same as any other player who would play there and wasn't capable of doing it. Klopp may see him as an option at right back but that doesn't mean he is capable of playing there and if he does, it's not Gomez's fault if he gets injured, it's Klopp's fault for putting him there.

The point I was making was a response to if Gomez can go through a season without getting injured. Put him at right back and see how many times he gets injured.

Jesus Christ. Of course he's capable of playing there, he's spent most of his career playing there. He isn't injury prone because he plays right back. He's just injury prone and will have to prove fitness wherever Klopp plays him. He got injured playing centre back for England and missed a month. 

Did Milner get injured playing a whole season out of position as left back? No.

Blaming Klopp for him being injured all the time. Fucking hell. Stop wasting my time.

13 hours ago, No2 said:

Honestly feel confident that as a 39 year old with a bit of belly and no match experience for about 6 years that i could get through a game with Virgil just ordering me around.

I know someone who had a son in the youth teams and then reserves at Newcastle when Sol Campbell was there. He played a couple of games with him in the reserves and says it's the best he ever played, just moved where and when Campbell told him to and reckons they are also the least he ever had to work. 

I imagine it's like that playing with Virgil, with the added bonus of knowing that no matter how badly you fuck up there is a strong chance that he will drag you out of the shit anyway. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

I'd love to get Werner. It'd be good to have someone of a higher quality than Origi and Sturridge who can play as a conventional striker when needed. I reckon he's off to Bayern though.

Saying that, if Bayern get Sane then surely then won't have too many signings left in them. They've already spent £100mil on Pavard and Hernandez and Sane would push that closer to £200mil.

I don’t think we necessarily need someone to play as a conventional striker. Mo and Sadio can both play there really well, plus if we keep Origi and want to give Brewster games, that’s both their best positions.

I reckon someone more of a natural wide attacker would be better - fine distinctions somewhat, obviously.

I’m on the Pepe train.

33 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

I know someone who had a son in the youth teams and then reserves at Newcastle when Sol Campbell was there. He played a couple of games with him in the reserves and says it's the best he ever played, just moved where and when Campbell told him to and reckons they are also the least he ever had to work. 

I imagine it's like that playing with Virgil, with the added bonus of knowing that no matter how badly you fuck up there is a strong chance that he will drag you out of the shit anyway. 

Sol Campbell was a brilliant centre half. Better than John Terry ever was.

Have we not signed anyone yet? Fucking joke.

We are the European Champions, we should be conquering every club in Europe, taking all their best players and beheading all those corrupt cunts at the FFP headquarters.

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

We are the European Champions, we should be conquering every club in Europe, taking all their best players and beheading all those corrupt cunts at the FFP headquarters.

All will be revealed. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Elite said:

Even worse when you realise what day it was yesterday.

12 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Huge blow for them if he goes for nothing next summer.

You can’t get a better player to replace David Silva than Eriksen IMO. He’ll got to either City or Barca.

9 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I don’t think we necessarily need someone to play as a conventional striker. Mo and Sadio can both play there really well, plus if we keep Origi and want to give Brewster games, that’s both their best positions.

I reckon someone more of a natural wide attacker would be better - fine distinctions somewhat, obviously.

I’m on the Pepe train.

I'd like Pepe too. I don't want someone who is only a conventional striker; but someone like Werner who can play there would undoubtedly be an asset and an upgrade on Origi. Werner would be decent as a wide forward too.

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I'd like Pepe too. I don't want someone who is only a conventional striker; but someone like Werner who can play there would undoubtedly be an asset and an upgrade on Origi. Werner would be decent as a wide forward too.

Yeah, I think Werner would be good, definitely better out wide than Origi. I guess ideally someone who was a bit more dribbly and creative as well as capable of scoring loads would be the go for me, Suge.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah, I think Werner would be good, definitely better out wide than Origi. I guess ideally someone who was a bit more dribbly and creative as well as capable of scoring loads would be the go for me, Suge.

I think Pepe might be a better fit for the side but he'd cost twice the fee Werner would and has less pedigree than him. I think Bayern will pull the trigger on Werner soon though.

1 hour ago, chevettehs said:

It's so true, I see defending as basically being in the right place all the time, if you have a world class defender like Virgil or Sol Campbell telling you where that place is then it's a piece of piss.

16 hours ago, moof said:

Aye, he’s immense for his age. Still, he’s made fuck loads of mistakes in the games I’ve seen him play. I think Gomez is underrated, personally. I think he’ll be first choice centre back for us for the next 10 years 

Yeah, Gomez was fucking outrageously good in the first part of last season. 

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Jesus Christ. Of course he's capable of playing there, he's spent most of his career playing there. He isn't injury prone because he plays right back. He's just injury prone and will have to prove fitness wherever Klopp plays him. He got injured playing centre back for England and missed a month. 

Did Milner get injured playing a whole season out of position as left back? No.

Blaming Klopp for him being injured all the time. Fucking hell. Stop wasting my time.

How many times did Gomez get injured when he was playing centre back? Milner is used to playing as a winger. 

If there is a need to get aggressive do it to someone else. 

9 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

How many times did Gomez get injured when he was playing centre back? Milner is used to playing as a winger. 

If there is a need to get aggressive do it to someone else. 

Three times as a right back, once as a centre back and once in training. It's no surprise really as he has played a lot more at right back than he has at centre back. He's played most of his career there. Why has Klopp only played him there since he came back from injury? I think if that was the reason he was getting injured Klopp and his backroom staff would have picked up on it. There is no correlation between him getting injured and playing as a right back.

And playing as a winger doesn't automatically make you able to play full back any more than playing centre back does. You don't have to look far to see evidence of that in Carragher who played at full back for multiple seasons with no problems.

James is soft and is in many ways blowing his potential. Madrid don't want him and neither do Bayern and they could have signed him for only 40m. That says something is wrong with him. We can do better.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-make-shock-enquiry-cardiff-16379079

We're interested in Etheridge, apparently.