You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

18 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

i do like the look of that Ziyech guy, but he's 25, and i cant help but think if he was that good, he'd have been snapped up by someone bigger by now.

Obviously you see the dutch league more than most on here, who are the real stars on that Ajax team, and also the Dutch league? 

Im guessing PSV must have some equally good players, seeing as they only finished 3 points behind Ajax this season.

Bergwijn is the best player at PSV. 

At Ajax, I was saying Ziyech was worth a punt before he went there. I guess his choice of Morocco rather than Netherlands made less people notice him. Quality player though. 

Others at Ajax, Frenkie is already at Barca, De Ligt can choose whatever club he wants, Van de Beek looks top quality and the goalie is pretty good. Neres is going to have a good career wherever he goes. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not buying this once in a generation talent talk.  He’s been playing in the Dutch league and had a decent run in the champions league.  It’s a complete unknown.  If he goes to Barca he will get flabby because he won’t be being tested regularly enough and get caught when they play a big game.  Everyone talking about no centre halves have gone for this sort of money this young yet are completely missing the reason for that.

The prices of players are going up and up so everyone is trying to get the most value.   Signing the best young players can be the best value.  That doesn’t make any of them a sure thing.  Centre backs take years to develop.  All this talk of him going on to be the best player in the world etc is laughable.  He’s been all over the place in the games I’ve seen him.  Good and bad.  I think the fact all this shit is going on now guarantees he will never be that good.  As a few have mentioned his Griezman schtick tells you all you need to know about him.  He believes his own hype.

And another thing.  We won’t be going near that other weapon Depay either.

45 minutes ago, No2 said:

Van Djik is so good we could literally buy a £10m centre back every season, give him 30 games beside Virgil and flip him for £50m profit. Matip is good, better in the last 3 months than I thought he ever could be and Gomez has looked class too but I can't help but feel Virgil just makes everyone look good. Honestly feel confident that as a 39 year old with a bit of belly and no match experience for about 6 years that i could get through a game with Virgil just ordering me around.

Any combination of Gomez, Matip and Lovren would bring problems pretty quickly if anything happened to Van Djik, De Ligt even at 19 looks like he would step up and lead in his absence with any 2 of the above alongside him. He also looks like he could be the player to rebuild a club like Man Utd or even City around, we don't need him but if it possible and it stops a rival getting him I'd be all for it.

Good points about players looking excellent when playing with Van Dijk. As long as we dont concede it hardly gets any attention, but Van Dijk has saved the asses of both Gomez and Matip on many occasions this season. Dont get me wrong, they’ve both played really well, but Van Dijk is on a completely different level, and makes their job a lot easier and covers their weaknesses in a way no other CB in the world is even remotely capable of.

2 hours ago, moof said:

Aye, he’s immense for his age. Still, he’s made fuck loads of mistakes in the games I’ve seen him play. I think Gomez is underrated, personally. I think he’ll be first choice centre back for us for the next 10 years 

He's injury prone , unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Good points about players looking excellent when playing with Van Dijk. As long as we dont concede it hardly gets any attention, but Van Dijk has saved the asses of both Gomez and Matip on many occasions this season. Dont get me wrong, they’ve both played really well, but Van Dijk is on a completely different level, and makes their job a lot easier and covers their weaknesses in a way no other CB in the world is even remotely capable of.

Another thing to consider is what Virgil has to say about this lad. If he is banging down Klopp's door to get him signed then just do it. Equally I'm sure he would be honest and speak up if he felt Gomez has a higher ceiling.

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

Another thing to consider is what Virgil has to say about this lad. If he is banging down Klopp's door to get him signed then just do it. Equally I'm sure he would be honest and speak up if he felt Gomez has a higher ceiling.

Fully agree. To be honest I’ve not seen enough of De Ligt to form a proper opinion. From the little I’ve seen he’s been very impressive. With the exception of the second half against Spurs where he, and the Ajax defence in general, seemed to struggle a bit once Spurs put Llorente on and went route one.

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Bergwijn looks a decent talent and a good fit for us.  Fast, raw, scores goals and takes people on. Won't cost shitloads as well. 

Nah Everton will slap the money on the table for him and leave PSV so shell shocked by their riches that they'll totally ignore our bid. Plus, with the Brands connection we would't stand a chance. 

5 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Bergwijn looks a decent talent and a good fit for us.  Fast, raw, scores goals and takes people on. Won't cost shitloads as well. 

Sky reported spurs are really interested in him. Someone mentioned Eriksen here. Don't think he's quite the player that'll fit in the way Klopp wants us to play. He's slowed down and he's 28? If anybody from Spurs,, then it's Son

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

We won't pay what Spurs would demand. Shame with Son, we should have got him before he went there. Didn't we sign Bobby or Benteke instead

I thought Son joined Spurs the year after we signed Bobby and Benteke - but you're right it was the same summer.

I really like Son, but there's no way Spurs would sell him to us for something other than a ridiculous fee.  Plus he's the same age group as our current front three, so it would be better to get someone a little bit younger.

If you are looking for someone attainable (although maybe not much cheaper) isn't the closest Timo Werner?  Fast, direct, scores goals, can play wide or central.  They are pretty much the same type of player - maybe Son is a bit better on the ball.

4 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Sky reported spurs are really interested in him. Someone mentioned Eriksen here. Don't think he's quite the player that'll fit in the way Klopp wants us to play. He's slowed down and he's 28? If anybody from Spurs,, then it's Son

I think Spurs main targets are Ndombele and Celso.

I'd love to get Werner. It'd be good to have someone of a higher quality than Origi and Sturridge who can play as a conventional striker when needed. I reckon he's off to Bayern though.

Saying that, if Bayern get Sane then surely then won't have too many signings left in them. They've already spent £100mil on Pavard and Hernandez and Sane would push that closer to £200mil.

13 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

This is the only time we will ever get a chance to sign him. If we don’t he either goes to Barca or if he goes to another club like the Mancs then his next move after that will be Barca.

The only way to improve this team is to buy players better than we already have. And there are only two areas we can realistically do that; one is centre mid and one is centre back. I don’t think we will sign De Ligt but if we get the chance to we absolutely should.

Gomez will still get plenty of games as he can cover right back and, at a push, left back while he tries to prove he can stay fit for a whole season. 

Gomez won't stay fit for a whole season if he plays at right back. Neither would van Dijk. The reason for this is because neither of them is a right back. 

4 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Gomez won't stay fit for a whole season if he plays at right back. Neither would van Dijk. The reason for this is because neither of them is a right back. 

Whether you think he's a right back or not is irrelevant. He's played more games as a right back than as a centre back under Klopp, throughout his whole career in fact, and it's pretty clear Klopp sees him as an option there. Since he came back from injury he's only got minutes at right back. Before his injury, this season, he played 10 prem games as CB and 3 as RB. 3 Champions League games as CB and 2 as RB. I don't like him there myself but that wasn't my point.

The point about Van Dijk is also inane as Klopp has never played him anywhere other than centre back.

15 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Whether you think he's a right back or not is irrelevant. He's played more games as a right back than as a centre back under Klopp, throughout his whole career in fact, and it's pretty clear Klopp sees him as an option there. Since he came back from injury he's only got minutes at right back. Before his injury, this season, he played 10 prem games as CB and 3 as RB. 3 Champions League games as CB and 2 as RB. I don't like him there myself but that wasn't my point.

The point about Van Dijk is also inane as Klopp has never played him anywhere other than centre back.

Whether Gomez has played at right back or not is irrelevant. When he plays there he looks out of place and gets injured. Same as any other player who would play there and wasn't capable of doing it. Klopp may see him as an option at right back but that doesn't mean he is capable of playing there and if he does, it's not Gomez's fault if he gets injured, it's Klopp's fault for putting him there.

The point I was making was a response to if Gomez can go through a season without getting injured. Put him at right back and see how many times he gets injured.