You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

city at home

kop77

I with Jenson on this game. With a bit of luck we could've got an easier tie but being in the last 8 was above my expectation this season so valuable experience for the team and if we go through, it's a bonus.

We're such underdogs against the media luvvies that we've got naff all to lose so got at em red men.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who has Plusnet, you can get the BT Sport app for £2.50 a month. 

Means you can stream to television via Chrome or Apple TV or use HDMI out on your laptop. Or obviously just watch on your tablet.

Can cancel at any time and takes about 30 mins to set up.

• Upvote 1

I think Masterson will be on the bench. Very talented lad but if he comes on for a few minutes,it's a very big ask in a champions league quarter final against a team like City.

Ideally,if we had top 4 in the bag with 2-3 games to spare,Jurgen could play lads like him to see how he gets on.

Finally started feeling excited about this game last night, 2005 was amazing because being a student I could immerse myself in the build up and the games. Work and life seems to got in the way last few years that I have found it harder to really get excited until kick off.

Just wish I was going to the game.

I'm not nervous at all for this game, for me its a nothing to lose tie and would have been whoever we got in the draw. Getting to the quarter final is more than I expected when the season started, reaching the semi's is way beyond that, so I'm happy for us just to go out there and give it everything we've fucking got. He who dares wins!

You know, this is a pretty good point.

If you'd offered me the quarterfinals back in October that would have been well beyond what I would have expected and I certainly would have taken it.

Add to that the fact we're probably not winning the actual CL, even if we managed to get through this round, and it helps calm my nerves. I mean, obviously it would be fun to face off against Bayern or Bar a in the semifinals, but if we're honest we're probably not winning those ties.

So I'm just going to enjoy this ride while it lasts. As you say, nothing to lose - if we get through, the fun continues. If we go out, well, shame, but no big disaster.

You know, this is a pretty good point.

If you'd offered me the quarterfinals back in October that would have been well beyond what I would have expected and I certainly would have taken it.

Add to that the fact we're probably not winning the actual CL, even if we managed to get through this round, and it helps calm my nerves. I mean, obviously it would be fun to face off against Bayern or Bar a in the semifinals, but if we're honest we're probably not winning those ties.

So I'm just going to enjoy this ride while it lasts. As you say, nothing to lose - if we get through, the fun continues. If we go out, well, shame, but no big disaster.

Sorry mate, but these two upcoming matches against Man City are the Becher's Brook, the Chair and the Canal Turn of this tournament. If we somehow make it to the semi’s we’ve passed the difficult hurdles.  We’ll not be underdogs anymore. 50/50 for me in a semi and final regardless of opposition.

This is it mate! If we can win this battle we might as well win old big ears for the 6th time.

I have it 60/40 in favor of the mancs, but victory to a 40% favorite isn’t exactly s a statistical shocker.  I really look forward to this. The key for me is denying them more than one goal at Anfield. This is what football’s all about.

Nerves back on?

We'll remain underdogs in every single game from now on.

The remaining opponents, and possible opponents, are City, Bayern, Real Madrid, and Barcelona.

Probably the four best teams in the world.

Probably the best five teams in the world even. Well on our day we're up there

Probably the best five teams in the world even. Well on our day we're up there

I agree, I think. We'd be 5th in that list, but fuck me that is some management from Klopp to get us even having the conversation.

Not having PSG at all. I don't see a team that plays in a pub league ever quite making it to the top now. They'll continue to shit themselves every year in Europe as they have about 4/6 semi competitive league games a season.

• Upvote 1

We'll remain underdogs in every single game from now on.

The remaining opponents, and possible opponents, are City, Bayern, Real Madrid, and Barcelona.

Probably the four best teams in the world.

Another good midfielder, defender and keeper and they'll be saying the same thing about us next year.

The view from down here.... 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/2018/04/03/liverpool-man-city-and-battle-european-legacy

Edit: Internationally restricted link... article below...

The barbarians are at Shankly’s gates. Liverpool – as a football institution – are bracing themselves. It’s hard to remember a bigger night at Anfield than this. 

By

Sebastian Hassett

There’s a reason a memo went around the Internet last week, urging Liverpool fans to make the venue as hostile as possible for Thursday’s (AEST) UEFA Champions League match against Manchester City. Hold the line or risk being trampled in a sky blue stampede.

It was a clumsily-worded message but the sentiment had a deeper poignancy. While Manchester United broke Liverpool’s domestic dominance, it’s Manchester City who are best placed, long-term, to challenge Liverpool’s status as England’s most successful European participant. If City do win the Champions League this year, future historians will probably refer back to this as some kind of shift in English football’s tectonic plates. But victory on Merseyside is not a given.

While Anfield’s atmosphere can meander for regular matches, when the occasion calls for it – usually when Liverpool face a mightier foe – the fans answer the call, just as they did when City last came to town.

“We lost a bit of control. We were involved in the environment of Anfield, for many reasons,” conceded Pep Guardiola after City lost 4-3 in January. “You have to try to be stable and there are good lessons, especially for the knockout stages of the Champions League.”

As fate would have it, here we are. Notably, that defeat didn’t rock them; the league title is already secured. They have the world’s best manager. Never will have they have a better chance to win the Champions League. And that brings its own, suffocating pressure.

What makes this tie so glorious is the context. There’s so many storylines that it’s hard to know where to look. It’s easy to get excited about Jurgen Klopp and Guardiola but they’re just one element of this.

City may be the dominant force domestically but have a manic, all-consuming desire to acquire what their rivals currently possess: international prestige.

Liverpool still sell more merchandise and have more viewers around the world than City by a whopping margin.

That global fan base was mostly won over during the 1980s, when European dominance bore the Reds into hearts in far-flung markets.

It is that very influence that City crave. They have made progress, of course, but in the context of the next 30 or 40 years, if they want to achieve true international adoration, they will need to play beautiful football and win European trophies. They must build a narrative that lives forever. It is that simple.

While Liverpool can live with their fallen domestic position, they consider Europe a sacred place. They fully intend to defend their status. And the performances, despite their Premier League battles, back that up.

They’ve been to four European finals since the turn of the century, winning two and losing two. City haven’t made a final in the Abu Dhabi-era – a 1970 Cup Winners' Cup title is all they can boast.

But after the defeat earlier this year, it is clear that Guardiola’s team will be not be knocking politely. They will aim to drive a truck through the front door. They did so unapologetically at Everton last week and while this is hardly the same challenge, you couldn’t wish for a better dress rehearsal in the same city.

Still, when Liverpool get going, they get going: several times they have demolished opposition teams with big scores. They’ve already scored 15 more domestic goals than second-placed Manchester United.

Klopp is clearly building this team in the right direction. The team’s age profile is almost bang on. Some fine-tuning of the defence and midfield next season and anything is possible. 

Confidence is growing about what they can achieve as a football club under the German. Aim up, not down. And while Klopp has not won a trophy at Anfield, there’s a genuine belief they can change that sooner rather than later. It was impossible not to be swept up by their 5-0 rampage over Porto (and two 7-0 group stage wins).

What belief it would infuse the masses with if they could halt the City juggernaut in its tracks, then see them off at the Etihad, and move into the final four. Talk about the empire striking back.

Ultimately, there’s so much riding on this, that the pressure is likely to tell for someone. Calm heads will be needed on the pitch. All those off it are almost certain to be losing theirs.

Only two fit CB's for this apparently. Just what you wanna hear before taking on a juggernaut in our highest stakes game in years.

I sort of don't mind that at this point of the season, players are capable of filling-in for mad things for a couple of games. Someone like Milner could have a go if needed, and I think Wijnaldum has played CB for us?

Not ideal, but it's just a case of doing whatever is necessary and then hoping the injury situation subsides and we get Gomez/Can/Klavan back.

Bit of a fucked up injury list though, three CB's.

Everyone is talking about this being the battle of two formidable attacking units, but I'd say it's more likely that the tie will be settled by how well the defences perform. It's so important to keep it tight in the home leg, as away goals can screw you. You could see it last night, Juve looked beaten at 0-1 down, because they knew it meant having to score 2 in Madrid. And who can forget the despair of losing 3-1 at home to Chelsea in the 2009 quarter final first leg.

I would bite your hand off for 1-0 tonight.