You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election Thread 2016

Red Phoenix

Jeremy Scahill at The Intercept :

Trump may go away, but the people he has empowered will not

These presidential debates — certainly this one — serve as the most stark commentary on how bankrupt the U.S. electoral system is.

This is the choice the system produces for “viable” candidates.

The cartoonish villainy of Donald Trump is a major factor in distracting attention from the hawkish, neoliberal policies of Hillary Clinton. Hillary’s best selling point for a lot of people — Democrats and, increasingly Republicans—is: I’m not batshit crazy like Trump. There is rarely a focus on Clinton’s embrace of regime change, her role in creating the conditions, as Secretary of State, for the horror show currently unfolding in Yemen, or her paramilitarization of the State Department. Clinton has never been asked about her role in the secret drone “kill chain” the Obama administration has now codified as a parallel justice system where there are no trials, indictments or convictions, but a whole lot of death sentences. Just as Clinton avoided real questions about Libya thanks to the clownfuck Republicans’ carnival over Benghazi, she emerges as the only choice for many sane people. That she is buddy-buddy with Wall Street, speaks one way to them and another in public, becomes a footnote. She is the empire candidate and that is why the John Negropontes and Max Boots and George H.W. Bushes of the world have embraced her.

Here is the thing, though: both Clinton and Trump’s candidacies’ have fucked us — albeit in different ways. Hillary represents more of the same bipartisan warmongering. And, under Obama, that has been met with a lot of silence and complicity from liberals. Depressing.

Whether Trump wins, loses or loses big, he has empowered fascists, racists and bigots. He did not create them, but he has legitimized them by becoming the nominee and openly expressing their heinous, hateful beliefs. This, to me, is one of the most frightening developments on a domestic level in the U.S. this election cycle. Trump may go away, but the people he has empowered will not.

https://theintercept.com/liveblogs/seconddebate/trump-may-go-away-but-the-people-he-has-empowered-will-not/

Not much to argue with there.

War with Russia, China, Iran or any strong nation would be bad for business. However amoral Clinton is, she is intelligent, astute and calculating enough not to do that. (Obviously, that's cold comfort for whichever less powerful nations she ends up bombing.)

Trump, on the other hand, is a dangerously unstable narcissistic bigot; a compulsive liar, who has hardly ever made a statement without contradicting it; and the leader of a Fascist movement.

Clinton will be the kind of bad President we are accustomed to. Trump would be by far the worst ever.[/quote

Hilary is proven incompetent and clearly on drugs. She isn't intelligent at all.

This post is actually a very good example of where the level of debate is in this US election.

The NY Times fact checking of the debate. The only things Trump got right was the emails and Bill's fine.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/10/09/us/elections/fact-check-debate.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Non US viewers everywhere wonder if the US can just detach itself from the planet and float off into space...

That's actually wrong in at least one place. They say :

Mr. Trump said Syria, Russia and Iran are fighting the Islamic State.

Mostly misleading.

They're wrong. Syria, Russia and Iran are all fighting ISIS, Trump was right. They even basically admit that in the expanded explanation. They accept that Iran is doing, then state : "Syria and Russia have carried out airstrikes against some Islamic State militants, but the majority of their military action has been conducted against other more moderate rebels."

Just because they're focusing mostly on Al-Qaeda and so called "more moderate rebels", it doesn't mean they're not fighting ISIS as well. The US should know, they bombed a load of Syrian army recently in a place that's fucking surrounded by ISIS, Deir Ezzor. Russia are also helping them there.

From the CEO of Al-Masdar News on twitter :

The "Assad forces" fight ISIS at the following: East Aleppo, East Hama, East Homs, Deir Ezzor, Northeast Sweida, Southern Damascus, Qalamoun.

East Aleppo: Al-Bab Plateau, Al-Safira Plains, and Deir Hafer Plains

East Hama: Eastern and southern part of Al-Salamiyah

East Homs: Palmyra, Al-Sha'er Mountains, Quraytayn countryside, Jubb Al-Jarrah, Jazal Mountains

Deir Ezzor: All over.

Northeast Sweida: All over the countryside and even northwest Sweida (Al-Lajat area).

Southern Damascus: Tadamon District

Qalamoun: Jaroud Jarajeer, Al-Qusayr border-area, and Dumayr Airport

Links for the quote (main tweet and responses made to it.) : https://twitter.com/leithfadel/status/785358227546386432

War with Russia, China, Iran or any strong nation would be bad for business.

If you can tell me how enforcing a no fly zone in Syria doesn't risk war with Russia, Syria and possibly Iran as well, I'd be interested.

Both of the moderators and the university staff repeatedly told the audience at the start not to clap and cheer so that the rest of the world could hear the debate properly. Anderson Cooper was following up on that, not outing himself as CIA.

I didn't say he was outing himself as CIA. I meant outing himself as in the bag for Clinton, which he clearly is. He's one of CNN's main muppets. I missed that they'd said that about no clapping and cheering though. Can you imagine how odd it would've been if Trump telling Clinton she'd be in jail if he won was met with silence? Would've been strange to just carry on as if nothing mental had happened.

Johnny : Trump genuinely wants to work with Russia and Iran in Syria, that's important. If he does he could have better relations with both, which might also sort out a deal on Iran even though the establishment, deep state, agencies, etc, will probably be doing his head in to go along with the usual shit. If he can do what he appears to want to do, work with them, that could sort out almost all other big issues.

China are a big ally of Russia, Russia could get him to soften his stance on what's going on with them. Again, he'll have to resist the war pigs by the looks of it (they'll probably want to encircle China because they're fucking crazy.) Being for Brexit? That's not affecting world peace in a big way. He's going to be a cunt to Mexicans but again, it's not going to affect world peace in a big way I don't think. His running mate has a worse position on Syria than he does, glad he doesn't agree with the clown.

The risk could be that at any moment he might have some issue somewhere and start something off, I get that. What Clinton is going along with though is probably a continuation of what's been going on for a while. It's clear that that can't continue, it needs to drop off. Maybe she'll win and improve relations with Russia and China, I'll remain highly doubtful though. A no fly zone isn't the answer to improving relations, she said she supported that last night.

It's also said that a no fly zone needs "boots on the ground" to enforce. Didn't she say she didn't want that to happen? So I'm not even sure if she's making any sense.

This is what you said.  "CIA Cooper".  

CIA Anderson Cooper. I regularly call him that or something similar when mentioning him, he spent two summers training at the CIA when he was younger. It's probably naive to think that he no longer has any contact with them too.

If you can tell me how enforcing a no fly zone in Syria doesn't risk war with Russia, Syria and possibly Iran as well, I'd be interested.

I didn't say he was outing himself as CIA. I meant outing himself as in the bag for Clinton, which he clearly is. He's one of CNN's main muppets. I missed that they'd said that about no clapping and cheering though. Can you imagine how odd it would've been if Trump telling Clinton she'd be in jail if he won was met with silence? Would've been strange to just carry on as if nothing mental had happened.

I don't think Anderson Cooper is the only one outing himself during this debate.

CIA Anderson Cooper. I regularly call him that or something similar when mentioning him, he spent two summers training at the CIA when he was younger. It's probably naive to think that he no longer has any contact with them too.

Most mainstream journalists and politicians are tapped up and recruited early on in their careers trained then placed in important positions. It's criminal not to for the secret services it's national security.

Most mainstream journalists and politicians are tapped up and recruited early on in their careers trained then placed in important positions. It's criminal not to for the secret services it's national security.

No idea of many but would agree that a lot are. They need another Church Committee to root the fuckers out. And Cooper was openly training at the CIA, so it's fairly likely that he's still doing some work for them as well.

I don't think Anderson Cooper is the only one outing himself during this debate.

Are you meaning me supporting Trump or something? I don't support him if that's what you mean, I do think there's a chance he could be better than Clinton though, that's how bad I think Clinton is. If I could vote it'd be for Stein without any doubt whatsoever.

RP for a Jill Stein supporter seems to spend a lot of energy on Clinton rather than extolling the virtues of Jill.

If it wasn't for Clinton we could be on the verge of having Sanders as president, I still have big problems with her. I was arguing for Stein as recently as yesterday and got told I was having a crazy rant and that she wasn't an option. I do still want her to do well though and think she might do.

Trump only wants the job to stick as many of his sex pestibg fingers into as many pies as he possible can to sure up his business. He will do whatever Putin wants him to do if it means money for Trumps business.

He is a bigoted,sexists cunt that should not even be un a position to stand as a leader in any sane country

Do people seriously believe a war will break out with Russia or China if Clinton gets in charge?

If so your fucking nuts as all sides know that one incident could end everything. They all know it and none will risk nuclear attacks with a war

Do people seriously believe a war will break out with Russia or China if Clinton gets in charge?

If so your fucking nuts as all sides know that one incident could end everything. They all know it and none will risk nuclear attacks with a war

Mad people might. The rest probably don't.

So what are you saying?  Is he part of the CIA or not?