You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

He's a back up in my eyes, and as such he came on today and got the winner. So, on the one hand it's job done. However... looking deeper you would have to say we were better with Origi on the pitch. I think he is going to go on a be a very good player for us under Klopp. Hopefully he will grow to be as proficient as Aubemayang. At the moment I like his pace and his instinct to play on the shoulder of the defender. If he can become more clinical in front of goal, he will do very well here. He has skill and a good touch too. 

As for Benteke, he's a back up option. Obviously for the money spent he should be more of a main man, but he isn't. If our back up striker can come on and win the game, such as we saw today, then fair enough. Hopefully he will improve further under Klopp. 

However, if someone gives us a chance to get our money back - I'm looking at you Hiddink - then we should take it, obviously on the proviso we get another striker in, especially since Sturridge is so unreliable with his fitness. 

• Upvote 2

I don't rate Origi.  I have more faith in Benteke to score a goal than I do in the rest of the team apart from Sturridge, who rarely plays for us.  So we can cry and moan all we like, but thankfully the internet doesn't matter one jot when it comes to who plays for us.  If Benteke scores goals, he's going to keep getting selected.

• Upvote 1

He's a back up in my eyes, and as such he came on today and got the winner. So, on the one hand it's job done. However... looking deeper you would have to say we were better with Origi on the pitch. I think he is going to go on a be a very good player for us under Klopp. Hopefully he will grow to be as proficient as Aubemayang. At the moment I like his pace and his instinct to play on the shoulder of the defender. If he can become more clinical in front of goal, he will do very well here. He has skill and a good touch too.

As for Benteke, he's a back up option. Obviously for the money spent he should be more of a main man, but he isn't. If our back up striker can come on and win the game, such as we saw today, then fair enough. Hopefully he will improve further under Klopp.

However, if someone gives us a chance to get our money back - I'm looking at you Hiddink - then we should take it, obviously on the proviso we get another striker in, especially since Sturridge is so unreliable with his fitness.

This. And Klopp seem to agree. Origi needs to start scoring goals at some stage tho', until he does he remains a prospect. Benteke remains a good striker at the wrong club.

I think if your going to play Benteke you have to play to his strengths to a certain extent and set up the team around him. Simple instructions like get whipped in early crosses play down the wings, get 2 players around him when the ball is played upto him, run off long diagonals etc. People have been speaking on here like its a bad thing, but chelsea set up their team to play to Drogbas strengths and that worked out quite well. We have nobody in our team who can cross constantly well and haven't for years. I think a team should be able to to mix it up play the short game and mix it up a bit to that's what chelsea used to do with drogba. Benteke has to do his part to of course with moving and making a lot more runs. I would like to see Sturridge up front with Benteke either beside him our just behind think it could work quite well. The alternative to to sell Benteke for a fast mobile and probably smaller and less physical player. This league is where physicality is most important. People will be moaning that we don't 'have enough physical presence up front.

Milner is a much better winger than he is a CM. Play them two, Coutinho behind Benteke, Lallana and Firmino on the bench.

And when one of them isn't available?

I do think benteke would be a better in a front two but we really don't have the squad to support that. We have one wide player (ibe) another who could do a decent job (Milner) then a squad of AMC's. Plus that's before you get to who would partner him. We have only benteke fit at present.

And when one of them isn't available?

I do think benteke would be a better in a front two but we really don't have the squad to support that. We have one wide player (ibe) another who could do a decent job (Milner) then a squad of AMC's. Plus that's before you get to who would partner him. We have only benteke fit at present.

Not many clubs have more than a couple of 'chalk-on-boots' wingers. If one of them is out, Lallana could play there.

Yes but teams that play with wingers tend to have at least 2 decent ones not a kid and a utility player.

Milner is a good wide player. Reason he's a 'utility' player is because we insist on playing him as a CM. I understand that he thinks he's the next Gerrard etc, but he's much better wide than he is a in the middle.

The thing with Benteke is he actually scores goals. He's scored a couple of pearlers too, so that makes all discussion of him being some kind of donkey pretty unfair IMO.

It's like if Audley Harrison kept knocking people out, it'd make all discussions of his questionable fighting style somewhat moot.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

If he learnt how to run the channels he would be great, he did chase down well today when he came one. I agree he will have to change his game a lot, but klopp is the man to help him.

This.

Give the fucker a full season, see if he (and half a dozen others who should be closer to the door than him) can improve enough.

For what it's worth, he already has more league goals than Balotelli, Borini and Lambert combined. I reckon he could still come good.