You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

Whatever Benteke is or isn't as a player, he's more useful to us than an almost permanently injured Sturridge. If Sturridge was fit he would be our main man up top, with Benteke the back up option (arguably they would form a partnership, but we've not seen evidence of that). 

I think we have a few weeks to work on the back up situation with Sturridge out. Hopefully Benteke and his teammates will improve their understanding as it's clearly disjointed at the moment. 

PS - I was thinking about people having a go at Benteke for what he doesn't have in his locker. Why don't we do this with all of our players? For example, Coutinho is rubbish in the air but we don't disregard him for it! I just think it's a very negative way to look at things when we continually dwell on what players don't have. 

In an ideal world we'd have complete players all over the park. But then again, I don't think teams work like that. You have to take the pieces and fit them together to try to make something. Sturridge is a perma-crock. Ings is out for a long time. Origi is a raw (though will hopefully get better and better). So the way I see it is we're going to have to come to terms with Benteke, if not for the long haul, at least in the interim. 

So here's hoping we find a better way to use him, as we need the points. 

Whatever Benteke is or isn't as a player, he's more useful to us than an almost permanently injured Sturridge. If Sturridge was fit he would be our main man up top, with Benteke the back up option (arguably they would form a partnership, but we've not seen evidence of that). 

I think we have a few weeks to work on the back up situation with Sturridge out. Hopefully Benteke and his teammates will improve their understanding as it's clearly disjointed at the moment. 

PS - I was thinking about people having a go at Benteke for what he doesn't have in his locker. Why don't we do this with all of our players? For example, Coutinho is rubbish in the air but we don't disregard him for it! I just think it's a very negative way to look at things when we continually dwell on what players don't have. 

In an ideal world we'd have complete players all over the park. But then again, I don't think teams work like that. You have to take the pieces and fit them together to try to make something. Sturridge is a perma-crock. Ings is out for a long time. Origi is a raw (though will hopefully get better and better). So the way I see it is we're going to have to come to terms with Benteke, if not for the long haul, at least in the interim. 

So here's hoping we find a better way to use him, as we need the points. 

It's almost 10 years since we were any good at doing this. I honestly think most of the posters on here would do better with the money we spend.

It s a shame because before he injured his achilles he was very athletic and explosive. His first year in England he scored 19 goals and he genuinely looked like DrogbaV2. I remember he absolutely annihilated us and Chelsea that year, won those games on his own.That version of Benteke would of been worth the money we paid. He scored every type of goal that year including from runs in behind. It doesnt look like it right now but hopefully he ll get back to that physical level

I ruptured my achilles in April and I can confirm it's a nasty bastard and a long way back. Being mid fourties I cannot expect to recover full strength ever. I hope and expect however that Benteke being twenty years younger and probably on a slightly more intensive rehab program should be ok.

I was all in on Benteke but the more I see the more I am starting to think maybe he isn't right for us or us for him.

His movement isn't very good and because we don't play with much width and have people bombing on and putting in crosses on the run (something we could do with against teams at home a bit for some variation) he seems to be struggling with anticipating when we will put a ball in with our patient probing approach and is often caught either not getting into position or getting into position but the ball not being put in.

He holds it up ok, but his first thought is to go again after laying it off and we often then just pass short behind him - so he comes back and 'waits' again trying to anticipate when we are going to play a ball towards him.

He just isn't working against teams who are packing their defence and sitting in - he may have more success when we are away and teams are coming on to us, but again reading the play is a problem for him it seems and those around him reading what he wants.

He does get into positions and did yesterday but the ball didn't arrive and then other times it did arrive and he didn't - he has an eye for goal but he isn't getting or making chances at present and I am growing increasingly unsure he will fit or we can get the best out of him.

I do feel having a partner at home would help a lot - get somebody around him.

• Upvote 3

I do find it strange why Klopp didn't try and build on Origis hatrick at Saints and twice opted for Benteke. 

Benteke will do what Benteke does. He will have a hot streak each season lasting for around 8 games- but spend the rest of the season either injured or anonymous. He's a decent option to have to change things up a bit but will never become that option as his transfer fee ( and no doubt his agent) will demand he starts or gets sold.

Benteke. Carroll. Bony. Gomis. All economy version Drogbas in all but price!

He is clearly shit. Even the Belgium manager called him out. He is clearly thick as well. Just look at his runs, when he actually decides to move, he always takes the wrong option. Early on, Moreno put a fantastic ball into the box and he was standing scratching his arse outside it.

Firmino clearly doesn't want to be here, maybe it's the weather.

While I dont think he is actually either shit or lazy but he is a very unintelligent player. His runs are non existent and he seems unable to create his own chances. A typical reaction type player who is effective when not thinking and acting purely on instinct.

Doesn't fit Klopp's playing style or philosophy and not a player he would have signed. That said,he will try everything he can to see if he can fit him in. If anyone can Klopp can.

While I dont think he is actually either shit or lazy but he is a very unintelligent player. His runs are non existent and he seems unable to create his own chances. A typical reaction type player who is effective when not thinking and acting purely on instinct.

Doesn't fit Klopp's playing style or philosophy and not a player he would have signed. That said,he will try everything he can to see if he can fit him in. If anyone can Klopp can.

The thing is he didn't fit into how Rodgers allegedly wanted us to play either. In his first season he got rid of a big lumbering injury prone striker who wasn't very bright, had little movement and cost £35m cos' he wasn't the right fit.

In his last season he signs a big lumbering injury prone striker who isn't very bright, has little movement and costs £32.5m and he is the right fit.

Bizarre.

• Upvote 3

The thing is he didn't fit into how Rodgers allegedly wanted us to play either. In his first season he got rid of a big lumbering injury prone striker who wasn't very bright, had little movement and cost £35m cos' he wasn't the right fit.

In his last season he signs a big lumbering injury prone striker who isn't very bright, has little movement and costs £32.5m and he is the right fit.

Bizarre.

I think it's clear - and I speak as one of the few that at one point really rated Rodgers - that he floundered post-Suarez. He never seemed to have a cohesive, consistent plan or formation, and seemed to ditch ideas at the first sign of trouble.

Also, it seemed as though he wanted to disprove those that thought he was too reliant on one player or one way of playing and so set out to play a completely different way to that which he had had success with. Looking back, that was a seriously odd last 18 months.

Agreed, with above. Rodgers never had a plan for Benteke. After last season he was in full job preservation mode and probably thought; "oh gee that Benteke's got a good goal record and is premier league proven, he'll surely score goals here." Like every other "decision" he made after his first season, it was purely reactionary and there was no stylistic reason for it.  

• Upvote 1

I want him to be awesome but I didn't like us signing him and I don't see him as our future. It's depressing that he can't be our plan B big man who gets on the end of everything thumped into the box. His overhead kicks and other goals are great but being the anti-bus parker battering ram is what we need from him really. Sadly I just don't see it happening. 

• 2 weeks later...

he seems the type of player who needs a run of games to get going, but we tend to play shit when he starts, but tend to play shit anyway so lets play him, thought he looked ok when he came on. He's one our few players who regularly scores goals, despite his limitations.

Bizarre.

That's the best description I've heard of the whole deal to be honest. Great post.