You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

Was poor, but again he got the winner. I've said it a lot lately: he should be viewed aa a back up. As such he is doing his job and weighing in with goals that are making a real difference. However, the problems up front are higher up the pecking order. If Sturridge was fit and firing we'd be in the top four very comfortably.

A new striker is needed. Not sure who is out there though.  

Theres two types of people on here....those happy to be behind watford in the table and those who know the lump isnt good enough

But hey he scored a few, if that makes up for our 0 goal difference in their minds, well...

Bullshit. Nobody here is happy with the team's current league position and you know it.

Lots of people on here, however, do enjoy singling out one player (doesn't matter which) and heaping blame for all the world's woes on his head.

• Upvote 1

Bullshit. Nobody here is happy with the team's current league position and you know it.

Lots of people on here, however, do enjoy singling out one player (doesn't matter which) and heaping blame for all the world's woes on his head.

Not to the extent Grinchy does it. Which is why a bunch of 1-0's with Benteke winners would warm the heart.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Found it laughable that he was MOTM today. Yeah, he got the goal, but he done absolutely nothing else all game.

I'm sure it's not easy for him being the only striker and have people expecting you to do everything but he just doesn't fill me with any confidence. 

I knew he would miss that one on one at the end. He looked a bag of nerves running with the ball. A suarez/Torres type of striker would have taken it around the keeper or chipped the ball. Not trying to compare but that's what strikers with confidence do but he looked like he had none.

My dad was saying he will be a bargain a month or two ago. How? He cost over £30m so how can he turn out to be a bargain?

His movement was a bit better second half but like I said, does nothing for me. 

I'm finding it hard to transition to a new hate figure, I just can't let Johnson go, it's too soon.

• Upvote 1

The question is not how many Benteke himself is scoring, the question is how many are we as a team scoring with him in there.  I firmly believe that Origi or Ings would score less than Benteke would, on an individual level, but that with either of them we would have more goals as a team.

His movement continues to be absolutely baffling.  Apart from the goal and his chance at the end, which were admittedly two very good runs, he seems bound and determined to run straight towards the byline on the side that the ball-carrier is on, regardless of where the defenders are.  It's like he has no concept of moving a defender out of the way to allow the play to open up for other runners.

• Upvote 5

Honeslty, he's shite, I didn't want to sign him but there's literally no other fucker in this side that can score goals regularly, so some of you need to dry your eyes and get some perspective

He scores goals when the rest of the team aren't chipping in, so yeah, he's shite.

Mate, seriously, I said exactly the same, so I sympathise with what you're saying and, and, AND, I agree, but he is shite overall, let's be honest

I don't agree. I reckon he's a good player. Thick as fuck, but a good player. He's been absolutely dog shit for two games and scored two goals. Could've had more and he'll continue to score more.

The question is not how many Benteke himself is scoring, the question is how many are we as a team scoring with him in there. I firmly believe that Origi or Ings would score less than Benteke would, on an individual level, but that with either of them we would have more goals as a team.

I'm not a big fan of Benteke but I disagree with this. Who would step up and score the goals in this team? We have no midfielders who will hit 10 league goals in a season so at the very least we need a striker who will score a lot.

He is what he is. A massively overpriced target man who will get you just enough goals to be useful but put in an equal amount of terrible performances which have you pulling your hair out in despair. He's not a bad squad option but at £32mil he needs to be a lot more than that.

Of course, the thing that got a lot of people's backs up was the little cult in the summer arguing he was a beast and the new Drogba and much more than a target man. Even Fowler said similar when most people could see his limitations.

Got no choice but to make him first choice for now though so lets hope he carries on scoring. As long as he does then I can forgive his other faults.

I don't agree. I reckon he's a good player. Thick as fuck, but a good player. He's been absolutely dog shit for two games and scored two goals. Could've had more and he'll continue to score more.

Yeah, that's why I don't want to slate him as much as some do, but he's missed two absolute sitters in these two games and his general play is consistently bad.  I have no agenda.  If you rate him, OK

Know it's not his fault, but I'm still struggling to get over the fact we spent 32 million on him. It saddens me even more than Carroll's transfer as you would think we wouldn't make the same mistake twice. At least, with Caroll, we had a few crossers like Maxi and were planning to bring Downing and Adam in, but Benteke's transfer was pure idiocy. 

Every game of Benteke just makes me despise Rodgers more. I hope both for Benteke and for us that he finds a new club in the summer.

• Upvote 1

The question is not how many Benteke himself is scoring, the question is how many are we as a team scoring with him in there.  I firmly believe that Origi or Ings would score less than Benteke would, on an individual level, but that with either of them we would have more goals as a team.

His movement continues to be absolutely baffling.  Apart from the goal and his chance at the end, which were admittedly two very good runs, he seems bound and determined to run straight towards the byline on the side that the ball-carrier is on, regardless of where the defenders are.  It's like he has no concept of moving a defender out of the way to allow the play to open up for other runners.

It's a credit to him that he's still scoring goals routinely despite all the other players behind him playing the exact opposite to his strengths.

We can't whip a cross into the box because our fullbacks are incapable of beating the first man. We've got no one barre Henderson that can kick the ball long with any accuracy so he can play the target man and the three behind him want to Cruyff turn and zig zag their way into the net. 

It's a cluster fuck but at least he's fulfilling his side of the bargain.

• Upvote 1