You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

Would 30 million get is Pedro? Didn't think there was much between him and sanchez last year.

I always thought there quite a bit of difference. Sanchez has an edge to him and in my opinion will do a lot better than him in the premier league.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-man-united-transfer-target-5685342#ICID

Christian Benteke will decide his future in June after playing in Belgium's end of season internationals as Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Roma weigh up £30million bids.

Striker Benteke’s sensational form for Aston Villa has fired them to the brink of safety from relegation and into an FA Cup Final against Arsenal on May 30.

He has two years left on his current contract and Villa plan to offer him a new deal this summer.

But the in-demand 24-year-old, snapped up from Genk in his homeland for £7m in 2012, is not intending to sign an extension - and MirrorSport understands Villa are unlikely to stand in his way if they receive an offer of £32m for him.

Benteke has scored 11 goals in 12 games under new boss Tim Sherwood after rediscovering his top form following Achilles surgery that knocked him out of last summer's World Cup and for the pre-season.

DearestSimpleCattle.gif

• Upvote 1

Former England midfielder Steven Gerrard, 34, admitted that he lost the "buzz" of playing when he learned he was to have a restricted role at Liverpool. (Times - subscription required)

Liverpool have made a tentative approach to AC Milan regarding the availability of 28-year-old forward Jeremy Menez. (Tuttosport - in Italian)

Former Liverpool defender Phil Thompson believes the Reds' failure to qualify for the Champions League will see England forward Raheem Sterling, 20, quit the club. (Liverpool Echo)

Would 30 million get is Pedro? Didn't think there was much between him and sanchez last year.

Pedro is certainly an improvement on what we've got, but watch the match that finished a couple of hours ago. The first half with Suarez, the second with Pedro on as his replacement, and then try to stay excited about signing him.

Signing Benteke would be the final straw for me, there is no conceivable way that it wouldn't be an unmitigated disaster. The money we've squandered keeps me up at night: 20 million on keane, 20 millions on aquilini, 20 million on Lovren, 20 million Downing, 35 million on Carroll, 16 million on Balotelli, 25 million on lallana, 15 million on Allen. We have no one to blame for the malaise we find ourselves in. If that money was spent correctly and with diligence we'd be challenging for leagues.

We know Origi is coming in. Too soon to depend on him to lead the way, but I think he will have a good future here. He has a lot of pace, can score goals (even if his recent record in France is iffy), can run the channels and beat a man. If he applies himself correctly I think he will have a big future. 

Milner - if we sign him he will be a decent acquisition. Good pro, very experienced, and can improve our side and squad. He not glamorous, but this signing makes sense. The wages will be high as he's already on a fair whack, and there won't be a transfer fee. But I don't think we will waste money if we sign him. He will help the team and the whole group. 

Ings - I'm OK with this one too, in the right context. If the striker additions are just Origi and Ings, then I'm certainly not OK. But if it is these two plus another on the sort of level of a healthy Sturridge, then that will do for me. 

I'm not sure I'm on the Benteke bus. Having a purple patch, but he doesn't look that technical of a striker to me - more a big lump having a decent run. I'm sure I'm doing him a disservice there, but I'd rather see someone who can play on the deck a bit, who will also press the opposition. Benteke is more of a target man and while we've lost our way up front lately, and a pattern of play is difficult to see, surely we are not going to become a 'target man' sort of team now? 

Pedro is certainly an improvement on what we've got, but watch the match that finished a couple of hours ago. The first half with Suarez, the second with Pedro on as his replacement, and then try to stay excited about signing him.

That's being a bit harsh on him, I think. The very fact they subbed Suarez at halftime said everything about the Barca mindset- they had it won. They weren't as arsed about scoring after halftime, as the rare sightings of even Messi showed. 

That said, at his age, he'd probably want to move to another club at season's end if he wants regular first team football at what should be his peak years. 

We know Origi is coming in. Too soon to depend on him to lead the way, but I think he will have a good future here. He has a lot of pace, can score goals (even if his recent record in France is iffy), can run the channels and beat a man. If he applies himself correctly I think he will have a big future. 

Milner - if we sign him he will be a decent acquisition. Good pro, very experienced, and can improve our side and squad. He not glamorous, but this signing makes sense. The wages will be high as he's already on a fair whack, and there won't be a transfer fee. But I don't think we will waste money if we sign him. He will help the team and the whole group. 

Ings - I'm OK with this one too, in the right context. If the striker additions are just Origi and Ings, then I'm certainly not OK. But if it is these two plus another on the sort of level of a healthy Sturridge, then that will do for me. 

I'm not sure I'm on the Benteke bus. Having a purple patch, but he doesn't look that technical of a striker to me - more a big lump having a decent run. I'm sure I'm doing him a disservice there, but I'd rather see someone who can play on the deck a bit, who will also press the opposition. Benteke is more of a target man and while we've lost our way up front lately, and a pattern of play is difficult to see, surely we are not going to become a 'target man' sort of team now? 

Is this the look of a club that already thinks maintaining 5th might be OK?

Sometimes a team is worth more than the sum of it's parts, Atletico, Dortmund and Rafa's Valencia come to mind instantly. If we can fill the team with technically proficient players that work tirelessly and press relentlessly for a full 90 minutes then we can be a match for any team in the league on any given day. Just need to make sure one of those eleven players can hit 20 goals a season.

A brilliant plan sir with just one small caveat. Brendan isn't good enough to polish the trophies of Simeone, Klopp or Rafa I fear so we're just going to have shit parts that equal shit.

• Upvote 1

Based on a pack of 5 Curly Wurlies costing £1 at Tesco, we could buy 150 mllion Curly Wurlies. Just imagine a veritable Mount Everest of Curly Wurlies and tell me that doesn't get your pulse racing with excitement.

like Mount Everest, they're not as big as they used to be.

Pedro is Sterling, but not as good. He just happens to be playing in a better team.

Pedro can strike a football properly for starters.

He is head and shoulders a better player than Sterling right now....Sterling may prove to better in time, but right now it's not even close.

• Upvote 1

Pedro can strike a football properly for starters.

He is head and shoulders a better player than Sterling right now....Sterling may prove to better in time, but right now it's not even close.

don't see it.  But I don't watch all of Barca's games, so there is a tiny chance I might be wrong.