You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

Pedro is Sterling, but not as good.  He just happens to be playing in a better team. 

He's scored almost 100 goals in the last six seasons, from out wide.

He's also far more direct, which is odd for a player in La Liga, especially Barcelona. There would be far less "Oh, where the fuck is he going?".

I'd be extremely surprised if he'd actually sign for us though, he'll get much better offers.

don't see it.  But I don't watch all of Barca's games, so there is a tiny chance I might be wrong.  

I don't watch all their games either but I have seen enough to hold the opinion - it's all about end product - Pedro has that consistently, Sterling does not, not in assists or goals.

Sterling is 7 years younger of course and that may change.

I do think though that Pedro would be a boss signing for us, can play anywhere across the front line - is experienced, a winner and at that age now 27 where he is probably about at his peak.... 50 caps for Spain as well, bad players don't reach that mark.

That high??? I think you need that software upgrading

The factors considered are: player's age, how important player is to current club, estimated fee, estimated wage demand, European history (ie, is the player used to playing in the Champions League), likelihood of other sides being interested, nationality, international career.  It's very reliable.  If you have any other names you want assessed, feel free to ask. 

I don't watch all their games either but I have seen enough to hold the opinion - it's all about end product - Pedro has that consistently, Sterling does not, not in assists or goals.

Sterling is 7 years younger of course and that may change.

I do think though that Pedro would be a boss signing for us, can play anywhere across the front line - is experienced, a winner and at that age now 27 where he is probably about at his peak.... 50 caps for Spain as well, bad players don't reach that mark.

I don't think he is a bad player - I think he's very good, and I wouldn't mind him coming in as a replacement for Sterling, but I am realistic about what he might achieve for us.  

I don't think he is a bad player - I think he's very good, and I wouldn't mind him coming in as a replacement for Sterling, but I am realistic about what he might achieve for us.  

Ahh, yes, I'd not really factored in he'd probably be playing as a sweeper for us.

Alarm bells are starting to ring about potential signings already. Given FSG's recruitment criteria (age/wages etc.), I figured that the list of forwards we would be considering should look something like this: 

Top Targets

• Lacazette - Lyon Chairman came out yesterday to say he is staying another season
  • Vietto - Atletico are apparently thrashing out a deal with Villareal and Racing (where he previously worked with Simeone). 
  • Dybala - Juventus are on the cusp of agreeing a €28m deal to sign him
  • Depay - Already agreed to sign for the Mancs
  • Icardi - Would take an absolute King's ransom to prise him away from Inter

Looking at the top scorer charts from around Europe, there are very few young players at unfashionable clubs and/or surplus to requirements at the giants that have shown the necessary pedigree to suggest they may be able to cut it at LFC. The fact that the Euro is so much weaker than Sterling gives us some advantage in the market put pickings are slim and competition will be fierce. Realistically we are probably looking at the following:-

• Benteke - Thrives on a style we don't play and reportedly going to cost £32m!
  • Morata - Could be available if Dybala signs but 10 goals in 37 games in League / Europe isn't breathtaking for a guy likely to cost €20m+
  • Alcacer - Again, 10 in 30 in La Liga and a slight individual who may struggle to adapt to playing in England. Good value at €20m+?
  • Aubameyang - 22 in 43 in all competitions. Klopp's departure may have unsettled him but big question as to whether he would leave Dortmund and Champions' League for us? 
  • Dost - 18 in 28 in Bundesliga and Europa League this season but more of a target man and always difficult to buy players from Wolfsburg as they are flush and will be in CL next season.
  • Berahino - Wants away but appears to be a knob and his form tends to be very patchy. Hardly the type of signing that would get the pulse racing.
  • Jordan Ayew - On a free and has grabbed 12 in 29 in Ligue 1. Seems to rely on crosses quite a bit so not sure he would be a great fit. 
  • Ings - On a free and rumors suggest he is heading to LFC. Has done ok in a crap team but has all the hallmarks of a typical LFC gamble; big fish, small pond with a massive risk he won't make the transition to a bigger club.

With Sturridge unlikely to be fully fit until October / November we must sign a first class, first choice striker but is anybody really confident that we will pick up a gem if we can't attract any of the top targets?? Our recent track records has not been good when we have had to contest another club for a signing.

I really wanted us to pull out all the stops for Dybala / Vietto as they are likely to move this year, at clubs where we represent a significant step up and have shown the potential to develop into two of the best forwards in the world over the next 5-7 years. However, all the links are to the likes of Ings which isn't exactly causing my pulse to quicken. Fuck.

• Upvote 1

All you need to know about Pedro is that he is on more than £100k per week and would have his pick of clubs in Europe. Which of FSG's actions to date suggest that we would be in a position to attract such a player?

Alarm bells are starting to ring about potential signings already. Given FSG's recruitment criteria (age/wages etc.), I figured that the list of forwards we would be considering should look something like this: 

Top Targets

• Lacazette - Lyon Chairman came out yesterday to say he is staying another season
  • Vietto - Atletico are apparently thrashing out a deal with Villareal and Racing (where he previously worked with Simeone). 
  • Dybala - Juventus are on the cusp of agreeing a €28m deal to sign him
  • Depay - Already agreed to sign for the Mancs
  • Icardi - Would take an absolute King's ransom to prise him away from Inter

Looking at the top scorer charts from around Europe, there are very few young players at unfashionable clubs and/or surplus to requirements at the giants that have shown the necessary pedigree to suggest they may be able to cut it at LFC. The fact that the Euro is so much weaker than Sterling gives us some advantage in the market put pickings are slim and competition will be fierce. Realistically we are probably looking at the following:-

• Benteke - Thrives on a style we don't play and reportedly going to cost £32m!
  • Morata - Could be available if Dybala signs but 10 goals in 37 games in League / Europe isn't breathtaking for a guy likely to cost €20m+
  • Alcacer - Again, 10 in 30 in La Liga and a slight individual who may struggle to adapt to playing in England. Good value at €20m+?
  • Aubameyang - 22 in 43 in all competitions. Klopp's departure may have unsettled him but big question as to whether he would leave Dortmund and Champions' League for us? 
  • Dost - 18 in 28 in Bundesliga and Europa League this season but more of a target man and always difficult to buy players from Wolfsburg as they are flush and will be in CL next season.
  • Berahino - Wants away but appears to be a knob and his form tends to be very patchy. Hardly the type of signing that would get the pulse racing.
  • Jordan Ayew - On a free and has grabbed 12 in 29 in Ligue 1. Seems to rely on crosses quite a bit so not sure he would be a great fit. 
  • Ings - On a free and rumors suggest he is heading to LFC. Has done ok in a crap team but has all the hallmarks of a typical LFC gamble; big fish, small pond with a massive risk he won't make the transition to a bigger club.

With Sturridge unlikely to be fully fit until October / November we must sign a first class, first choice striker but is anybody really confident that we will pick up a gem if we can't attract any of the top targets?? Our recent track records has not been good when we have had to contest another club for a signing.

I really wanted us to pull out all the stops for Dybala / Vietto as they are likely to move this year, at clubs where we represent a significant step up and have shown the potential to develop into two of the best forwards in the world over the next 5-7 years. However, all the links are to the likes of Ings which isn't exactly causing my pulse to quicken. Fuck.

Out of them Morata and Alcacer represent the best deals. They are the sort of deals we were looking at last summer when we tried to sign Icardi when he was a relative unknown and when we were in for Lacazette the year before. Both could have breakout seasons next year and then we won't have a chance of signing either. Dost and Benteke wouldn't suit our style. Aubameyang is a dark horse, him, Sterling and Sturridge would give us one of the fastest counter attacking front lines in world football.

He's a lot better than Carroll but won't be worth what we pay for him and a lot better strikers that are suited to Rodgers style of play would be available at the same cost

he's not better, he's just quicker than Carroll

Lovren has improved lately. I'd give him another season.

no he hasn't, he's still fucking garbage, we will give him another season though because he's an unflushable turd now, same story as Johnson, Lucas, Enrique etc. 

he's not better, he's just quicker than Carroll

no he hasn't, he's still fucking garbage, we will give him another season though because he's an unflushable turd now, same story as Johnson, Lucas, Enrique etc. 

You can add Balotelli to the unflusable turd list as he'll end up getting loaned out for the rest of his contract. 

In response to Cij:

•  
  • I don't think Benteke sees us as a step in the right direction.  At this rate Villa could finish around the same as us.
  • Morata is a fan favourite at Juventus, he won't be going anywhere.  And the sale of Pogba will mean that money is not an issue. 
  • Alcacer will not move to us from Valencia.  Valencia, under Peter Lim, might push on over the next 12 months, and they'll see retaining Alcacer as fundamental to that.
  • Aubameyang started brightly at Dortmund and then faded a bit.  Again, Dortmund will likely cash in on Gundogan or Reus, so any attempt for Aubameyang will cost a lot more than he's worth.  Very quick player, but how often have we encountered teams who refuse to engage us with a high-line?  Pace is no good if the opposition sit on their 18 yard line.
  • Dost has come good, and would be an interesting addition.  Wolfsburg might sell De Bruyne for loads though, which again would make Dost very hard to get.
  • Berahino interests me a lot, although his agent is Aidy Ward, so fuck him and his cartel, he'll just fuck us 12 months later if Berahino turns heads.
  • Ayew is a random shout, and not a proper forward, his goal return shows that.  We could get him, but he's likely to be very underwhelming as a marquee signing.
  • Ings is a 3rd choice striker at a mid-table club.  He wouldn't get in the squad of any of the top four, let alone start a game. 
  •  
  • If we're talking about Burnley, or ex-Burnley players, then I think we would be better served looking at Jay Rodriguez at Southampton.  Big, big injury year for him, he's potentially damaged goods, but potentially a very good striker with good movement, technical ability, pace, and finishing.  But...he will probably stand by Southampton after this terrible year, and by all accounts would cost around £25m.  Big gamble, but that's the only way we're going to get good players in, by gambling on the higher-risk players.  Which is how we ended up with Balotelli, but also how we ended up with Sturridge.  Peaks and troughs.
  •  
  •  

If we're talking about Burnley, or ex-Burnley players, then I think we would be better served looking at Jay Rodriguez at Southampton.  Big, big injury year for him, he's potentially damaged goods, but potentially a very good striker with good movement, technical ability, pace, and finishing.  But...he will probably stand by Southampton after this terrible year, and by all accounts would cost around £25m.  Big gamble, but that's the only way we're going to get good players in, by gambling on the higher-risk players.  Which is how we ended up with Balotelli, but also how we ended up with Sturridge.  Peaks and troughs.

Just signed a new contract at Southampton...

nah, there won't be any problem with selling Mario, he's still rated. I'd add Skrtel to that list, should have sold him 2 years ago.

We downgraded on Carragher with Toure and Agger with Lovren. We also signed a "marquee" defender who's made of paper mache. What we really need to do now is flog our best defender (for all his imperfections) and replace him Ashley Williams or some such shit...

• Upvote 2

"Ibe refuses to sign a new contract."

What a surprise...

Welcome to the 2003-2013 Arsenal Model. The FSG way. They fucking ruined the club's reputation the hedge fund bastards.

The marque signings their YESman was referring to the other day, will be all players not wanted by any Top 6 club in any of the Top 5 European Leagues. 

Real Madrid have a buyback on Morata would not be surprised if he ends back there especially as they don't have many strikers on their books.

The complicated negotiation is on verge of being completed. Juventus will pay a €18M fee and they have reached agreement with the player. They also agreed with Real Madrid on the buy-back clause: €30M after the first year, €35M after the second year. It will expire after the third season, when Real will have a preemption on the player.

We downgraded on Carragher with Toure and Agger with Lovren. We also signed a "marquee" defender who's made of paper mache. What we really need to do now is flog our best defender (for all his imperfections) and replace him Ashley Williams or some such shit...

Have you not noticed Brigant pretending Skrtel has been shit in every game?

• Upvote 1

Our best defender is Sakho. Proper RCB instead of Lovren in the Summer - there'd be no mess and signing a backup LCB would make sense now.

Have you not noticed Brigant pretending Skrtel has been shit in every game?

why lying? He's been ok in some, not good enough in most. Mediocre player.