You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

"Ibe refuses to sign a new contract."

What a surprise...

Welcome to the 2003-2013 Arsenal Model. The FSG way. They fucking ruined the club's reputation the hedge fund bastards.

The marque signings their YESman was referring to the other day, will be all players not wanted by any Top 6 club in any of the Top 5 European Leagues.

I saw a few people getting happy when they found out his parents were doing his negotiations, not for me as they will be trying to get a deal that will look after their son and them for life.

What a surprise...

Welcome to the 2003-2013 Arsenal Model. The FSG way. They fucking ruined the club's reputation the hedge fund bastards.

The marque signings their YESman was referring to the other day, will be all players not wanted by any Top 6 club in any of the Top 5 European Leagues. 

Let's hope the club do not try and turn the fans on another player.

One thing I have noticed over the past few years is the briefing and mentioning players wage demands getting leaked. In some instances it is the players people but in a lot of instances the club.

Whatever you think about Arsenal I cannot ever recall Wenger or his club taking swipes at players wage demands. This despite him having more reason than most.

We seem to get into silly spats and end up with a us v the player which all seems strange.

Is this the look of a club that already thinks maintaining 5th might be OK?

For me I want us to get top four. We missed out on that this season after a horrendous start, compounded by not adequately replacing Suarez and then Sturridge getting injured so much. Even then, we've not been all that far away from top four. 

So next season I am hoping we put that right. Goals will be needed. Our strikers this season have been hopeless. I'd be OK with Ings and Origi, so long as we also get another striker who is at the sort of level Sturridge is at (a healthy Sturridge, I hasten to add). 

Beyond that we need some steel in the midfield, and possibly a right back. But not too many signings, or we'll have problems integrating them all again. Let's hold our nerve, get some goals in the side and a bit of steel in the middle, and give it a good go next season. Even after a disastrous campaign this time around we won't be all that far away from top four by the end of the season, so there's every reason to think we can do better next term. 

of course he is, it's out of discussion. Also again - smarter buys last Summer and his injuries wouldn't have been a problem.

It is debatable - as is evidenced by the fact that we're debating it. The fact that you're a dogmatist doesn't alter the fact.

Last summer was a complete disaster. But I'm not sure exactly how it alters the fact that Sakho appears to be a crock.

One thing I have noticed over the past few years is the briefing and mentioning players wage demands getting leaked. In some instances it is the players people but in a lot of instances the club.

Whatever you think about Arsenal I cannot ever recall Wenger or his club taking swipes at players wage demands. This despite him having more reason than most.

We seem to get into silly spats and end up with a us v the player which all seems strange.

It's happened twice with Walcott and they have let some of their biggest stars leave due to contract negotiations.

What a surprise...

Where's this quote come from please Nightcat?.

Thats one of things the club actually excel's at, we vilify the player for wanting more money, the club takes the "game is out of control" stance when they are spending 100,000,000+ million on transfers and the press eat it up because of course a 20 year old earning 100,000 a week is madness, so they vilify the player in the press and the hate gets so much that eventually the player cracks and signs a new contract. Nobody manages to keep players that don't want to be here quite as well as us, we are forerunners in that field.

We also extract the absolute maximum amount of money from any team that wants to sign one of our top players by simply refusing to let the player go. Thats another thing i quite like about us.

There's a bit of a cloud around Liverpool at the moment with regard to contracts, so while contract negotiations are ongoing with any of our players we should expect dramatic headlines to creep in. It's the way the press work. If they've found an angle or an agenda, they will make everything feed into that.

At every club a contract negotiation will go something like this: club wishes to retain player so makes an offer. Player knows club wants to retain him, so makes counter-proposal. And so on, until agreement is reached or player is sold. In our situation, because of the cloud around contract negotiations at the moment, the press will be banging the drum, "Liverpool fail again..."

It's all rather unfortunate. The way to shake it off is to succeed because then the press will fall in behind that. Easier said than done, mind, but if we start doing well again, the agenda will change.

It is not a quote. It is a summary of what metro and ESPN have reported, I just couldn't bother to post the whole article.

But having read the whole of both articles and seen each mention where they took this from, you would know that, as with The Telegraph gossip column mention of the same, this story emanated from The S*n? 

Aye, and they've taken it from THAT rag, best ignored.

Quite.

I'm becoming very concerned about the direction the club's going, we need a few big statements this summer.

At this point I would be happy with just the one big statement signing, and it needs to be a forward.

We can make do in every other area (don't want a statement right back, whoever that may be), but if you want lots of goals you have to pay.

Journo to Ayre: "What's all this about not signing Ibe and instead selling him to City?"

Ayre: "WTF!? Where the fuck did you get that from! Absolute bollocks!"

Headline next day: "Ayre denies Ibe to City rumours."

Sports journalism 101.

FSG are turning us into everton... EVERTON. We will have interviews by ayre talking about the summer we signed up with pukka pies. No ambition at all just treating the club like a savings account, keep our investment safe and if it raises a bit, excellent,. Buy no more than three players this window and make sure they are top class, use the wages you would usually spread across 10 docile twats on just 2 or 3. If Milner and Ings end up being the height of our ambition because "we are clever in the market" then we are fucked, no club has ever displayed as much stupidity as ours especially since Ayre has been involved from the carrol window onwards.

• Upvote 2