You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Interesting strategy to buy 4 interchangeable left sided attackers and then blame a part of Salah's struggles on a lack of continuity.

They’re interchangeable like you say, but I guess if people would like to say they’re all left sided and use that as a stick to beat the club and Klopp with, it’s easy to do that as long as the results are shit.

The lack of continuity is an obvious factor to our problems. Not least because the reason for the lack of continuity, injuries, means players are rarely in their best form when they’re available.

I think Klopps statement is a logical one, even if most people probably dont want to listen to it. And of course it could also be a move to take the attention or pressure away from Salah and the fact that his performances have been poor for a while now.

Personally I think the things he’s mentioning are relevant, but not enough to explain Salah’s form. He hasnt been able to get even the  very simple things right lately.

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Interesting strategy to buy 4 interchangeable left sided attackers and then blame a part of Salah's struggles on a lack of continuity.

It makes no sense in isolation - but i feel there has to be a plan to it and we won't see it revealed properly until summer.

It is like we have a jigsaw but have done the middle pieces before the edge, but there is a reason we have chosen to work like that.

I am also of the view Salah won't be here at the start of next season.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

It makes no sense in isolation - but i feel there has to be a plan to it and we won't see it revealed properly until summer.

It is like we have a jigsaw but have done the middle pieces before the edge, but there is a reason we have chosen to work like that.

I am also of the view Salah won't be here at the start of next season.

I reckon Mo will leave at the end of next season. He's on a 3 year deal and we wont give him improved terms in 2 years nor let him leave on a free at the end of his deal.

11 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Pre-AFCON, for that first half of the season, he was "the best player in the world".

Now he isn't. 

That was a very very high benchmark, which probably heavily influenced the pay rise.

Now, he's just "good".

For me it's just a question of getting him in the right areas. And some of that will come when we improve our ability to turn over the ball, with pressure high up the pitch. Nunez and Salah seem to compliment each other rather well I think. I'm also expecting Jota to enjoy playing with Nunez because he's so good at finding space and the havoc Nunez creates, he sucks people to himself and the ball. I think Jota will benefit both in the air and typical number 9 sniffer goals. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I reckon Mo will leave at the end of next season. He's on a 3 year deal and we wont give him improved terms in 2 years nor let him leave on a free at the end of his deal.

Maybe - i just have this feeling it will be end of this....the extension was to give him a pay rise and to protect his value - that value will drop dramatically end of next season when he only has a year left.

I hope i am wrong but i reckon he goes in summer - why he'll go is open to debate, there are obvious spins can place on it from 'money to help rebuild' to 'him wanting out if no European Cup footy'....all valid - but for me either way or any other way i reckon he is going this summer.

5 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

They’re interchangeable like you say, but I guess if people would like to say they’re all left sided and use that as a stick to beat the club and Klopp with, it’s easy to do that as long as the results are shit.

The lack of continuity is an obvious factor to our problems. Not least because the reason for the lack of continuity, injuries, means players are rarely in their best form when they’re available.

I think Klopps statement is a logical one, even if most people probably dont want to listen to it. And of course it could also be a move to take the attention or pressure away from Salah and the fact that his performances have been poor for a while now.

Personally I think the things he’s mentioning are relevant, but not enough to explain Salah’s form. He hasnt been able to get even the  very simple things right lately.

We've paid Salah for him to be the lynchpin of the attack on the right, so he plays all the time, then we decided to have 5 other players rotate for the other two spots, all 5 with different profiles, and all 5 with statuses in football and who will have an expectation they will play a lot of matches. 

Diaz, more classic wide player, Darwin more #9, Jota more second striker, Gakpo more link player, Firmino more false 9. 

So; we're going to rotate players on the left and in the middle based on form and based on the opponent where we'll decide which profile we'll want to use. We're not gonna build chemistry between players doing that. That is a different strategy altogether from the Mane-Firmino-Salah type of frontline, with complimentary players, with a defined hierarchy.

Basically, what Klopp is saying there is very relevant to how a good attack functions, but his quotes aren't compatible with the way we've rebuilt the attack, so I find that a bit worrying. 

On 28/01/2023 at 15:01, an tha said:

If we keep on playing way we are he'll continue to struggle too.

I don't fully understand why this keeps getting repeated. He might not have the exact role he wants or the midfield of three years ago behind him, but that doesn't explain the complete inability of a world class player for about a year now to get past a single opponent nine times out of ten. 

He was brilliant against Man City in October and has been much better in Europe, so it's not unlikely he'll find something to up his game against Real Madrid in a few weeks. If that's the case, while welcome when it arrives, it's a different problem in itself. 

For those moaning about Salahs wages. The options were let him leave on a free at the end of this season or give him a contract. He made clear he wasn't going to be sold against his will. Salah was underpaid compared relative to his peers for most of his time here -- well I'm sure that is what his agent would have told Salah and he would have had a strong case. FSG knew Salah was an asset in the sale of the club. There is a reason why sponsors wanted Ronaldo at the club even though he was stinking the place out.

This season we have scored 60 goals and Salah has 23 goals and assists. I make that 39% of goals this season have been scored or assisted by Salah and I haven't deducted minutes he may have been rested for. 

51 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

For those moaning about Salahs wages. The options were let him leave on a free at the end of this season or give him a contract. He made clear he wasn't going to be sold against his will. Salah was underpaid compared relative to his peers for most of his time here -- well I'm sure that is what his agent would have told Salah and he would have had a strong case. FSG knew Salah was an asset in the sale of the club. There is a reason why sponsors wanted Ronaldo at the club even though he was stinking the place out.

This season we have scored 60 goals and Salah has 23 goals and assists. I make that 39% of goals this season have been scored or assisted by Salah and I haven't deducted minutes he may have been rested for. 

I went for that option in the Summer.  He may have actually turned up this Season having to play for a contract elsewhere.

We fucked up so badly with his and Mane's contracts. Both should have been sorted 18-30 months ago leaving us in the position where they could either be sold or see out their deals and then leave on a free right at the end of their peak if need be.

Instead we waited with both meaning one of them left for fuck all, and the other one we are now paying an amount of money that could have pretty much covered both of them had the deals been sorted much earlier. Oh, and the one that stayed seems to have already peaked.

58 minutes ago, Torvald Utne said:

How's he contributed to the other 56% whilst not on the pitch?!

(I assume he's saying that of the 850 goals scored under klopp, Salah has been on the pitch for 44% of them)

Klopp joined in October 2015 salah joined in the summer of 2017. So the 850 goals Salah wasn't here for a chunk. The 44% applies to the time since Salah joined and when he was on the pitch. It's goals and assists. 

He's been poor this season. How many has he scored from open play. The system problems and how everybody else is playing is shafting him but I also can't deny my own eyes he's dropped off pretty much all areas of his game like everybody else in the team, nobody is playing well and he doesn't escape the criticism, criticism that everybody at the club deserves top to bottom from owners, management team and the players. Nobody this season has impressed me, there's nobody who can drag the team by hook or crook. Every fuckers head drops, fight or flight goes straight to flight, Robbo may shout things but his play becomes all over the place.

I just wish at the minute we would play Salah central and work the rest around him because he is still our best bet by far to get goals and assists and he can hold the ball and lay it off better than anybody else in the team if he needs too, plus he's shown an understanding with Nunez.  If Elliot must be shoe horned into the side put him on the right, shit he played left v Brighton yet anything good he did came when he wandered over to the right. Even Salahs chance came when he ran through the middle out to the left side. Klopp seems fucking determined to shape players into roles even though at the minute we just need players to be comfortable in their roles and build some confidence.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

TBF almost all. I think he only has one penalty - we haven't got one in the league all season.

I'm assuming we don't have quite so many touches in the opposition's penalty area any more. It used to be that Mane and Salah would spend half the game there terrorising defenders.

5 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

We fucked up so badly with his and Mane's contracts. Both should have been sorted 18-30 months ago leaving us in the position where they could either be sold or see out their deals and then leave on a free right at the end of their peak if need be.

Instead we waited with both meaning one of them left for fuck all, and the other one we are now paying an amount of money that could have pretty much covered both of them had the deals been sorted much earlier. Oh, and the one that stayed seems to have already peaked.

Salah was already on 200k and Mane 150k so I don't think we'd have covered both their new contracts for 350k a week?

Personally I think we did exactly the right thing with Mane.

Had his best years and then sold him with a year left.

As we are seeing now, it's very hard to replace players like him.

2 minutes ago, Megadrive Person said:

Salah was already on 200k and Mane 150k so I don't think we'd have covered both their new contracts for 350k a week?

Personally I think we did exactly the right thing with Mane.

Had his best years and then sold him with a year left.

As we are seeing now, it's very hard to replace players like him.

It was fine to sell one of the two, but if keeping Mané would have stopped us from this ridiculous left sided attacker fetish, then I'm more and more creeping into the "we should have kept Mané and sold Salah" opinion.