You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Possession football = success?

Gym Beglin

Surely that kind of reasoning is the same as saying it's best to dominate possession? Football is a fluid game of multiple possibilities if you pick one or two statistics and use those to try and formulate tactics you will generally miss the whole picture. And not win very much.

Not necessarily. It means make your possession count for something by quick incisive passing and get shots on goal. Quick being the operative word.

Possession means fuck all if you dont score more goals than the team you are playing at the time.

1-0 2-1 3-2 is all that matters.

80%-20% possession looks great on a stat, but if you dont score at least one more goal than the opposition, then it means fuck all.

Give me one more goal regardless and I couldnt give a shit who had the ball the longest, winning means more than who passed the ball around longer.

Possession means fuck all if you dont score more goals than the team you are playing at the time.

1-0 2-1 3-2 is all that matters.

80%-20% possession looks great on a stat, but if you dont score at least one more goal than the opposition, then it means fuck all.

Give me one more goal regardless and I couldnt give a shit who had the ball the longest, winning means more than who passed the ball around longer.

This.

The scum have been relatively poor this season, but with RVP nicking winners regularly, they have somehow smuggled yet another title.

Outscore the opposition & be adaptable to do it.

Suarez vs Newcastle watch from 0.25 seconds onwards. Is that not a counter attack?

[YOUTUBE]cH9mgohXiCk[/YOUTUBE]

It was a counter attacking of course. The emphasis behind counter attacking is to relieve the pressure on yourself whilst putting pressure on the opposition. Whether that involves long or short passing. On this occasion it was a long weighted 65 yard inch perfect pass.

The game against Fulham was an example of Liverpool playing on the counter-attack. In some ways so was the 6-0 victory over Newcastle at SJP.

Possesion is useful as long as you use it well. How about this for an example? Liverpool played West Ham in the season just gone at home, and had approximately 70% of the possession. How many goals did they score? None is the answer.

Liverpool played Newcastle away and had 48% of the posession and scored 6 in a 6-0. Therefore it's not about how much posession you have, it's how well you use the posession you do have. As Alan Hansen once said ''There is nothing wrong with playing a long pass or a short pass, as long as it's the right pass''.

If short passing doesn't open the opposition up, play longer passes. There is no reason why you can't. Well I can't think of one.

Not clicking on that link to the Mail (won't give them the hits) but that stat sounds like bollocks. WhoScored have Gerrard as the player who hits the most accurate long passes per game and I think Jagielka is second for outfield players.

You are confusing # of accurate long balls with the % of long balls which are accurate.

You are confusing # of accurate long balls with the % of long balls which are accurate.

That is actually a fair point. Like all stats they are just a guide that might suggest an area where you might want to check it out in game context. I don't need a stat to tell me that Steven Gerrard is a better long passer than Joe Allen. Success says nothing about the difficulty of the pass you were attempting, nor the distance of it (other than it being over x metres).

There's a reason Gerrard has tried nearly 400 long passes this year and has got about 4 out of 5 of them right: it's because he's good at them.

That is actually a fair point. Like all stats they are just a guide that might suggest an area where you might want to check it out in game context. I don't need a stat to tell me that Steven Gerrard is a better long passer than Joe Allen. Success says nothing about the difficulty of the pass you were attempting, nor the distance of it (other than it being over x metres).

There's a reason Gerrard has tried nearly 400 long passes this year and has got about 4 out of 5 of them right: it's because he's good at them.

Or Swanseola / tika taka was just smoke being blown up our asses.

Strange response to that post.

Smoke or not, the results were the proof for Swansea and tiki-taka's not been doing too badly for the Catalonians.

Barca's tiki-taka system doesn't seem to be very effective when the best player in the world isn't on the pitch chipping in his 50 plus goals a season.

Barca's tiki-taka system doesn't seem to be very effective when the best player in the world isn't on the pitch chipping in his 50 plus goals a season.

Maybe the system is designed to get the best out of Messi? Or maybe he'd score just as many goals playing for stoke? Maybe we'll never find out?

Maybe the system is designed to get the best out of Messi? Or maybe he'd score just as many goals playing for stoke? Maybe we'll never find out?

Maybe we should buy Messi if we're seriously trying to make the system work in the Prem?

I haven't seen much tika taka going on with us, the last i remember was Norwich away at the start of the season, that was blatantly tika taka from 70 minutes onwards. Apart from that i think we've played pretty direct at times, certainly more so towards the end of the season.