You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm!

Spy Bee

While all this is going on the media have gone into overdrive predicting armegedon is about to hit the USA.

The East Coast is absolutely fucked, I can't understand why you think it was overstated.

Also, I don't think you have your facts right. I was watching when land fall was about 30 minutes away and it hadn't been downgraded at that time.

As for how precise their predictions are I think Uncle Meat has boxed that one off.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Building Facade Collapse, 8th Ave / 15th St, NYC

Two stories of the façade of a six-story apartment building at 92 Eighth Avenue in Chelsea collapsed around 6:20 p.m., the Fire Department said. No injuries were reported, and no one appears to be missing, a fire spokesman said.

Somewhat unbelievably my wife stayed in that very apartment about 3 weeks ago, she was over with all her friends for a wedding.

sandy-building-cityroom-blog480.jpg

Apparently she was in the top right room in the bed just behind the radiator (that's falling out). Always told her she was a messy cow.

Guest davelfc

nq508ed4f8.jpg

OCEAN CITY, MD

eh508ed6dd.jpg

REDHOOK, BROOKLYN, NY

ca508ed73e.jpg

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ

bl508ed777.jpg

EAST RIVER, LONG ISLAND CITY, NY

qd508ed841.jpg

bq508ed857.jpg

NORTH CAROLINA

ju508ef536.jpg

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ

gd508f3a77.jpg

RED HOOK, BROOKLYN

The point I was making is for the second time a Hurricane class storm just about to hit America is downgraded hours before landfall.

Except this one was getting stronger and stronger all day long.

Then a hour or so before landfall,this hurricane that had been getting stronger and stronger all day is suddenly downgraded a couple of hours before landfall.

While all this is going on the media have gone into overdrive predicting armegedon is about to hit the USA.

It was getting stronger and stronger all day, but indications were it was going to weaken again to a certain extent once it approached landfall. The problem was predicting by how much, and where exactly was it going.

It's hard enough trying to forecast and predict even a benign cyclonic system in a broad sense, let alone smaller more localised events. Look at any UK weather forecast to see how that works out.

When it was over sea and heading for the coast, it was picking up energy from warm sea surface temps courtsey of the gulf stream. Radiosondes were reporting the central pressure dropping steadily at this point, so strengthening. Then, once it was over cooler seas it started to disorganise slightly as roughly expected. Whilst all this is happening, it took more of a westerly direction and left NYC "relatively" alone, sea surge notwithstanding. The devil is in the detail, they knew it would weaken to an extent, but from what to where in that short amount of time was a tough one to call.

This slight change of direction and the manner in which it disorganised was basically impossible to forecast with anything approaching 100% accuracy. So many variables to take into account.. The best they could say, whilst giving people enough warning, was "Something quite nasty is coming in." and it wouldn't have taken much, synoptically speaking, for it to have been a lot worse than it was.

I was in New Jersey some years ago and it rained for a couple of hours and the place was under water. Whole sections of Jersey city were cut off.

Scouse Tapas has a point. The weather guys down here spend 360 days a year saying, "Tomorrow will be a high of 90', Low of 70' with a 30% chance of rain".

As soon as there is a storm forming it's like letting out time at school. They're estimating body counts, hanging off the sides of buildings, trying to work out which buildings generate the best wind shear for the most dramatic shot, reporters competing for the most shocking narrative for their 30 second segments. It's pure playtime.

It was getting stronger and stronger all day' date=' but indications were it was going to weaken again to a certain extent once it approached landfall. The problem was predicting by how much, and where exactly was it going.

It's hard enough trying to forecast and predict even a benign cyclonic system in a broad sense, let alone smaller more localised events. Look at any UK weather forecast to see how that works out.

When it was over sea and heading for the coast, it was picking up energy from warm sea surface temps courtsey of the gulf stream. Radiosondes were reporting the central pressure dropping steadily at this point, so strengthening. Then, once it was over cooler seas it started to disorganise slightly as roughly expected. Whilst all this is happening, it took more of a westerly direction and left NYC "relatively" alone, sea surge notwithstanding. The devil is in the detail, they knew it would weaken to an extent, but from what to where in that short amount of time was a tough one to call.

This slight change of direction and the manner in which it disorganised was basically impossible to forecast with anything approaching 100% accuracy. So many variables to take into account.. The best they could say, whilst giving people enough warning, was "Something quite nasty is coming in." and it wouldn't have taken much, synoptically speaking, for it to have been a lot worse than it was.[/quote']

You know that 'biggest nerd' thread...

La Guardia airport. Or should that be La Guardia Lake.

A6d8yBhCcAET-QT.jpg

That picture made me think a bit. Why isn't there any mechanism that can turn jet planes into sea planes or something like it. Imagine a plane having motor problems over the Atlantic or some other large ocean. Wouldn't it be possible to have some sort of floating device to keep it floating after the emergency landing?

Guest davelfc
That picture made me think a bit. Why isn't there any mechanism that can turn jet planes into sea planes or something like it. Imagine a plane having motor problems over the Atlantic or some other large ocean. Wouldn't it be possible to have some sort of floating device to keep it floating after the emergency landing?

It's down to weight isn't it, how many times would that happen? They would say they carry rafts and a plane hitting water at speed might as well be slamming into concrete.

You could equally argue for the passenger part of the plane to be equipped with large parachutes but it's all down to weight and in that instance design. They don't want to pay and are prepared to take the slim risk.

'Motor' or engine problems at 35,000 feet over the Atlantic tend to be quite fatal in the grand scheme of things......also, have you ever belly flopped from 5ft..?

Joking aside though....hitting water at speed isn't healthy at all.....floating is the least of your problems :)

Took a walk around my neighborhood today. Complete devastation.

No power anywhere. Nothing open. Really glad I bought a generator, but I seem to be the only person around who has one, which has its down side because I'm worried about looting.

No phone service either. If shit goes down you're on your own.

Here are some photos I took today...

aikido31's Story by aikido31 | Photobucket

Took a walk around my neighborhood today. Complete devastation.

No power anywhere. Nothing open. Really glad I bought a generator, but I seem to be the only person around who has one, which has its down side because I'm worried about looting.

No phone service either. If shit goes down you're on your own.

Here are some photos I took today...

aikido31's Story by aikido31 | Photobucket

Wow. Shocking.

The East Coast is absolutely fucked, I can't understand why you think it was overstated.

Also, I don't think you have your facts right. I was watching when land fall was about 30 minutes away and it hadn't been downgraded at that time.

As for how precise their predictions are I think Uncle Meat has boxed that one off.

It had been downgraded way before that by the national hurricane center.

The thing is no media outlet at the time happend to mention it till a hour or so before.

Then the likes of CNN had a guy trying to say a tropical storm is just a s bad as force 1 hurricane.

11294369.jpg

'Motor' or engine problems at 35,000 feet over the Atlantic tend to be quite fatal in the grand scheme of things......also, have you ever belly flopped from 5ft..?

Joking aside though....hitting water at speed isn't healthy at all.....floating is the least of your problems :)

I'll show you when I've made aviation history. ;)