You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What does LFC have to do to be great again??

Backhander

We don't need to spend huge amounts in order to make huge improvements. We just, unlike the last three seasons, need to spend whatever money we do have on good players.

Swansea have just bought Michu for £2m. It is possible to sign quality players even without Champions League football, and without spending big sums of money. Just need to be a little more inventive identifying players. The Moroccan lad will hopefully turn out to be a bargain.

Hmmmm in principle I agree, but in practice what you're doing there is pinpointing an impressive buy (out of many buys) and saying "we could do that".

It's much like seeing a lottery winner and saying "all WE need to do is buy the winning ticket like they did"

You CAN get some great low cost buys, but generally speaking, having more money buys you players that give you better odds.

I think it's more a case when you spend big, getting THOSE buys right. Even then the big spending clubs have 2-3 chances at getting it right, whilst Liverpool may only have one. If you have 20 million to spend on a player - make it the right player.

Hmmmm in principle I agree, but in practice what you're doing there is pinpointing an impressive buy (out of many buys) and saying "we could do that".

It's much like seeing a lottery winner and saying "all WE need to do is buy the winning ticket like they did"

You CAN get some great low cost buys, but generally speaking, having more money buys you players that give you better odds.

I think it's more a case when you spend big, getting THOSE buys right. Even then the big spending clubs have 2-3 chances at getting it right, whilst Liverpool may only have one. If you have 20 million to spend on a player - make it the right player.

Not really. The ratio of shit to good signings isn't one in fifty million.

In terms of signings we've been comfortably the shittest club on the planet in the last three years.

We're not going to spend big, so thats irrelevant to us as a club. Of course having the ability to spend big is better than not, but it doesn't excuse spending whatever you do have poorly.

Swansea's average signing is probably £2m, ours £10m, yours £25m. All that is relevant is that you spend that money as best as you possibly can.

Not really. The ratio of shit to good signings isn't one in fifty million.

In terms of signings we've been comfortably the shittest club on the planet in the last three years.

We're not going to spend big, so thats irrelevant to us as a club. Of course having the ability to spend big is better than not, but it doesn't excuse spending whatever you do have poorly.

Swansea's average signing is probably £2m, ours £10m, yours £25m. All that is relevant is that you spend that money as best as you possibly can.

Aye, I'll give you that... bad analogy, but I think you got my point that it's easy to spot a great buy and think "why didn't we do that?" etc.

If Rodgers proves to be a shrewd as many believe, he might start getting the best bang for his buck at Liverpool for some time. I just think where Liverpool WANT to be will need a fair amount of money AND spent wisely. It's going to be hard to work on 30 million (say) and feel confident of a top 4 finish (where the money is). Rodgers has his work cut out, he really does. I just hope the fans accept that Liverpool's current position is the result of a number of years and not his reign.

I like the cut of Rodgers' gib more than I like FSG's !

This will not be popular, but here goes. To be successful fast, the owners should hire Benitez now. It should be a three year deal, non negotiable, not renewable. They should keep Rodgers, as well, as the first team coach, and force Benitez to work with him (and vice versa).

In three years Benitez would be moved upstairs, DOF, not involved in the first team, in charge of the rest. Rodgers would need to bide his time, a blend of his and Benitez's football principles would equate the one of Mourinho's, and that would win us things.

Or we can do it the hard way, as we are trying right now.

Aye, I'll give you that... bad analogy, but I think you got my point that it's easy to spot a great buy and think "why didn't we do that?" etc.

If Rodgers proves to be a shrewd as many believe, he might start getting the best bang for his buck at Liverpool for some time. I just think where Liverpool WANT to be will need a fair amount of money AND spent wisely. It's going to be hard to work on 30 million (say) and feel confident of a top 4 finish (where the money is). Rodgers has his work cut out, he really does. I just hope the fans accept that Liverpool's current position is the result of a number of years and not his reign.

I like the cut of Rodgers' gib more than I like FSG's !

Well, if we need more money then we should start by getting rid of all the shit players, not just the players on big wages. Whilst they were on high wages, and circumstances dictated their departure in at least one of their cases, Maxi, Kuyt, Aquilani, and Bellamy are all better footballers than several players in our current squad.

I don't expect top four this season. I do expect to finish with a good 12/15 points more than last season. That'll probably be just outside the top four, so be it.

I still look at the squad and think that one big injury to Suarez and we'd finish 12th. Hopefully there are three of four more attacking players to come in, and some of the turds flushed. I'm not someone who detests the current owners, like a few already do, but I can't honestly say that I have a huge amount of faith that we're going to make real progess any time soon.

This will not be popular, but here goes. To be successful fast, the owners should hire Benitez now. It should be a three year deal, non negotiable, not renewable. They should keep Rodgers, as well, as the first team coach, and force Benitez to work with him (and vice versa).

In three years Benitez would be moved upstairs, DOF, not involved in the first team, in charge of the rest. Rodgers would need to bide his time, a blend of his and Benitez's football principles would equate the one of Mourinho's, and that would win us things.

haha!

For the last 15 years we have wasted hundreds of millions replacing players like for like for the sake of. First a wave of French, then Spanish, then English and with a handful of exceptions (like maybe three or four) none of them remarkably better than whoever they replaced. Done just for the sake of a transition.

We need to allow our own young players to fill the squad and in some cases a couple of spots in the first 18 and spend every bit of transfer money on players that can lift the team offensively and change a game with pace, power or creativity.

We seem to be the English equivalent of Inter Milan under Massimo Moratti. Apart from those years when they had Mancini and Mourinho in charge and won Serie A, the Champions League and a few other trophies - partly thanks to Juventus and Milan being taken out of the picture - they have pretty much been like us in that when they have thrown money at the problem, things have either not got any better or worsened. If they haven't invested, things have definitely worsened.

There are so many things that need to be addressed. For me, a key one is founding out who exactly FSG are getting their advice from. Do those advisors really have Liverpool's best interests at heart? Of course we need patience in the right context, but an awful lot of decisions appear to have been detrimental to progress on the pitch. We can't go on throwing money at the wrong solutions, that's for sure.

I've pointed at FSG, but the issue goes further back than that. It was there before the tumours, but their involvement increased it exponentially rather than starting it.

Even by the standards of this forum, this is wacky beyond belief.

Stop tolerating the lack of effort and our players arrogance against smaller teams. Playing at the Britannia may not be as glamorous as playing Man Utd home but they're both worth the same amount of points at the end of the day.

Our players don't put the effort required in to win games unless its a super saturday/sunday against Man Utd/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal/Everton.

What does LFC have to do to be great again?

It's a great question. All i know is that when we make that final, important adjustment, whether it be a change of ownership or manager, the results will be immediate and extraordinary. If success isn't absolutely immediate i'll know that it's time to start campaigning for the next change.

Beat me to it il fenomemo!

Most important now: stick together, get 100% behind the manager.

If we sack Rodgers before he has had the chance to implement his football vision in the team, then we really are going to be a laughing stock for the whole football world.

Stop tolerating the lack of effort and our players arrogance against smaller teams. Playing at the Britannia may not be as glamorous as playing Man Utd home but they're both worth the same amount of points at the end of the day.

Our players don't put the effort required in to win games unless its a super saturday/sunday against Man Utd/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal/Everton.

Thats spot on , most of the players dont want it enough , as much of a cunt as he was i really wish we had a Roy Keane or 2 playing for us.

Its fucking unacceptable playing for Liverpool and not giving it 100% everytime you play Suarez/Kuyt and Bellamy are amongst the few that know/knew this.

It makes me sick seeing these shithouse cunts like Downing and Henderson play for us and thats not even bringing their criminal transfer fees into it , i really hope Rodgers gives some proper bollockings and tells these players he expects maximum commitment and fight every game or else.

Our weak mentality has carried over from last season based on that second half , it cant be tolerated , cant be allowed to carry on otherwise we should just give up now.

We haven't looked like a proper team since Rafa got fucked off , how often did Rafa go on about mentality , he used to go on about so often , if anyone didn't understand why back then , you do now.

Ive posted on here many times about how we are out-scouted every year.

The trouble is now, the number of teams out-scouting us just keeps growing.

So, we either get better at scouting, or get as rich as City.

One of these needs to happen fucking quick.

Otherwise, its a gentle fade to gray, sports fans.

Ive posted on here many times about how we are out-scouted every year.

The trouble is now, the number of teams out-scouting us just keeps growing.

So, we either get better at scouting, or get as rich as City.

One of these needs to happen fucking quick.

Otherwise, its a gentle fade to gray, sports fans.

Sad but true..:(

I don't get why it hasn't happened yet, but we're essentially fucked until the football bubble bursts.

I'm afraid the types that have the money to chuck at football teams are getting richer and richer* in the current climate.

There's just enough to keep it going for ages yet.

*Not sure if FSG are one of them, but even if they are, they don't appear inclined to play like the others.

Thats spot on , most of the players dont want it enough , as much of a cunt as he was i really wish we had a Roy Keane or 2 playing for us.

Its fucking unacceptable playing for Liverpool and not giving it 100% everytime you play Suarez/Kuyt and Bellamy are amongst the few that know/knew this.

It makes me sick seeing these shithouse cunts like Downing and Henderson play for us and thats not even bringing their criminal transfer fees into it , i really hope Rodgers gives some proper bollockings and tells these players he expects maximum commitment and fight every game or else.

Our weak mentality has carried over from last season based on that second half , it cant be tolerated , cant be allowed to carry on otherwise we should just give up now.

We haven't looked like a proper team since Rafa got fucked off , how often did Rafa go on about mentality , he used to go on about so often , if anyone didn't understand why back then , you do now.

I agree with this, but we had plenty of those "Stoke days" under Rafa too.

I was sure this would be addressed under Kenny, but it got worse if anything.

Rodgers has a clean slate now as far as i'm concerned.

Virtual scorched earth policy.

Repututations on the bonfire time.