You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What does LFC have to do to be great again??

Backhander

Is LFC cursed?? What needs to happen for LFC to re-emerge from the valley of mediocrity it has been languishing in since 1991??

LFC is still the most successful club in the country yet successive managers have failed to put LFC back on top where it belongs...

What's missing? Why can't they get it right?

Haha...It's not a curse.

Firstly we're talking about an economic climate that we simply can't compete with in as much as we can't spend half a Billion pounds to win us a League Title such as the likes of Cheslea and City have done (are doing).

It's a matter of taking steps in the right direction so that means doing the best we can with the resources that we have and putting a team out on the field that can compete again for Champions League Football first and foremost.

Whilst we shouldn't necessarily expect to be finishing above Chelsea, City and Utd (at this moment in our history) we most certainly should be challenging the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham for the 4th CL spot.

Simply put we need to get back in the CL and stay there.

At that stage we can start to attract and afford to start buying A List footballers again and not have to settle for taking a chance on 'kids with potential' and unknown quantities hoping that they come off.

Sounds simple and obvious and we all know it but getting back in the CL is the first and most important step back towards 'greatness'

I would get David Dein in to sort out this fucking mess.

Ayre is completely out of his depth and I can't quite fathom why the fuck he is still here? So what if he sorted out some fucking deals with some mickey mouse fuckwits. If Kenny and Comolli got the boot, he should have been first out of the door.

Disillusioned doesn't even describe how I'm feeling with the state of our club at the moment.

Buy some good footballers. Sell some shit footballers.

Bottom line.

What LFC hasn't had for decades though, and this is crucial, is the right people off the pitch.

It's been a joke off the pitch, from the way it's handled the media to shirt sales, ticket distribution, you name it.

The club still has the name and the draw to be a huge player in world football, it can't outspend the likes of city and chelsea, but what it can do - and what all wouuld be rivals must do - is invest in scouting and youth work, as well as good quality coaching.

If LFC had the right people off the pitch, a top class football administrator and a top class manager (and I'm not saying Rodgers can't become that, by the way) then the club can fly again. It just needs a proper concerted strategy that is properly conceived from the word go.

Bottom line.

What LFC hasn't had for decades though, and this is crucial, is the right people off the pitch.

It's been a joke off the pitch, from the way it's handled the media to shirt sales, ticket distribution, you name it.

The club still has the name and the draw to be a huge player in world football, it can't outspend the likes of city and chelsea, but what it can do - and what all wouuld be rivals must do - is invest in scouting and youth work, as well as good quality coaching.

If LFC had the right people off the pitch, a top class football administrator and a top class manager (and I'm not saying Rodgers can't become that, by the way) then the club can fly again. It just needs a proper concerted strategy that is properly conceived from the word go.

Who's going to appoint them mate, because I have little faith in FSG.

We have a manager who may turn out to be top class, but I suspect he will be poorly served by the boardroom. He won't be the first manager to triumph under those conditions, but his lack of experience will make it more challenging than it needs to be.

I am mightily fed up with the mouth breathers slagging him off though. If there is one thing that has nosedived faster and more spectacularly than the quality of our team, it's the quality of those who associate themselves with this club.

The list of things we need to do is probably as long as my arm.

Both on and off the pitch.

First things first though, we simply have to stop playing underperforming players over and over again regardless of price tags or reputation.

I think we're badly stuck in a cycle of doing this and its a big fucking problem.

Spend huge to get in the champions league and then tidy the books

If Platini ever has the bollocks to implement the FFP then I think we'd all be more than happy with FSG. If he doesn't (which looks increasingly unlikely), then unless we're sold to someone who his prepared to seriously invest in the club, we're never ever going to be in a position to challenge. That's just the reality.

The list of things we need to do is probably as long as my arm.

Both on and off the pitch.

First things first though, we simply have to stop playing underperforming players over and over again regardless of price tags or reputation.

I think we're badly stuck in a cycle of doing this and its a big fucking problem.

Agreed. Similarly not getting shut of players for these reasons.

The fact Downing cost £20m should not prevent us for selling him for £6m if thats all clubs will pay for him.

Spend huge to get in the champions league and then tidy the books

a couple of clubs have tried that in the past and one of them hasn't been in the premier league for about 10 years and the other is facing liquidation. Hopefully spurs will get found out also and go the same way also. Also Rangers were probably relying on champions league football every season so they could top up the trust fund they were robbing to pay top money to players they couldn't afford.

probably not a good idea to go down that road. it's basically faustian.

We don't need to spend huge amounts in order to make huge improvements. We just, unlike the last three seasons, need to spend whatever money we do have on good players.

Swansea have just bought Michu for £2m. It is possible to sign quality players even without Champions League football, and without spending big sums of money. Just need to be a little more inventive identifying players. The Moroccan lad will hopefully turn out to be a bargain.

Stick to the ethic of quality football with players who want to play it, and more importantly want to play it for Liverpool (not easily done, but I think it's Liverpool's ethic through and through, in theory).... BUT... accept that that alone is no longer enough (and perhaps it never was).

I believe once upon a time, getting the football 'right' resulted in getting the club as a business 'right', but the tables have turned to the point where getting the business right is more likely to result in making the football right.

Admittedly, City aren't the same size or stature of Liverpool, but we've been a prime example of a shambles off field outfit. In fact, the vast majority of clubs, of varying statures are similar. It doesn't really matter who your are, clubs have gone from the frying pan of local hero businessmen running clubs to the frying pan of speculative investors (some of whom are winners, and some are losers).

Liverpool have the brand, the history, the 'story to tell' and have failed to exploit that to the full potential. Whilst it's diminished in recent years, it's still head and shoulders above most clubs and still holds a fantastic amount of opportunity.

The stadium dithering leaves the club looking neither progressive, nor firmly rooted - it's just indecisive (accepting there are reasons for that, but still...)

I've not seen enough from FSG to suggest they have the financial clout to get Liverpool back on a seriously solid footing on the pitch (sad that it needs money, but I believe it does), and in the absence of that clout, I've not seen any real signs of cunning business acumen either, but in their defence, it's probably a 5 year project. If it fails, Liverpool will have slipped back further.

It feels like Liverpool are right on the tipping point. Where FSG might prove to be clueless charlatans, or sharp as a tack. Either you've already hit the bottom and are just about to rise again, or... the decline continues.

All in all, Liverpool have enough ingredients to bake one seriously impressive cake, and you're blessed with SOME ingredients few other clubs have. You just need the right chefs.

All in all, Liverpool have enough ingredients to bake one seriously impressive cake, and you're blessed with SOME ingredients few other clubs have. You just need the right chefs.

Good post that mate. This bit at the end made me chuckle.

Your dead right when you say we have the ingredients, but its more like us employing waiters and service staff to do the cooking rather than bringing in the proper chef's. Its ridiculous how the club is being run, and its no wonder why its only going one way.