You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Pepe leave what the fuck do we do

Guest simon

Shay Given is absolutely fucking shit, mate. Don't mean to sound like a cunt here, but have you watched him a lot? I have, I think he is in the top 3 overrated players in the history of the Premiership.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. The epitome of a good shotstopper who has NOTHING else to his game. There are many keepers who could look sensational with Newcastle's defence in front of them. There aren't many who can maintain composure and concentration when they're not being kept busy every five minutes. When you add Given's chronic lack of authority to that, you have a keeper who is only going to look elite in a set-up like Newcastle's.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shay Given is primarily a shot-stopper, rather than a commanding presence in his own area. In fact I don't think he commands his area at all, preferring to stay in his 6-yard box and resort to last-ditch heroics. He typifies the recent approach, particularly in the UK, to develop goalkeepers that can make saves, but cannot organise their defence properly to reduce the number of opportunities from which saves need to be made. ALL the goalkeepers available to Fabio Capello fit this profile. I also think Spain's Iker Casillas is the most high profile exponent of this strategy, despite him being Spanish.

Shay Given is primarily a shot-stopper, rather than a commanding presence in his own area. In fact I don't think he commands his area at all, preferring to stay in his 6-yard box and resort to last-ditch heroics. He typifies the recent approach, particularly in the UK, to develop goalkeepers that can make saves, but cannot organise their defence properly to reduce the number of opportunities from which saves need to be made. ALL the goalkeepers available to Fabio Capello fit this profile. I also think Spain's Iker Casillas is the most high profile exponent of this strategy, despite him being Spanish.

I'd change that to on his goal line. Add awful kicking too.

Its quite funny how some fans harp on about players not showing loyalty when it suits them. Dirk Kuyt had offers from other clubs in the summer but he chose to stay, all he gets for showing that loyalty is abuse EVERY game, its the same with Lucas 100% commitment on the pitch every game and he's never once complained about the fans booing him, yet he still gets abuse on here by loads. for doing nothing more than being loyal.

Yep. Said it a few times before, people bang on about players not fucking off because they don't want them but those they won't aren't showing loyalty if they decide to leave.

Debateable.

Of course.

But the coaches who have just won the last two major international tournaments thought so too so I might stick with their judgement!

Liverpool won the treble 10 years ago. With Sander Westerveld.

I'm not pressing the panic button just yet.

Of course.

But the coaches who have just won the last two major international tournaments thought so too so I might stick with their judgement!

Liverpool won the treble 10 years ago. With Sander Westerveld.

I'm not pressing the panic button just yet.

Fair point on the Spanish coaches, although it's a lot harder to get into a national side than it is to lose your place in it.

Far from pressing the panic button, but in similar terms to recent years, it's far easier to win things with world class players than it is without them.

Pepe would be a monumental loss and would leave a bigger chasm in the side than Torres did. Let's not fuckin kid ourselves here, anyone suggesting otherwise is an idiot.

Pepe hasn't said he's not committed. He's been 100% honest and I agree with every word he said. This is a different team and the spine has been ripped out. There's a simple solution to this. We go full throttle at the Europa League and win a trophy. We need a trophy, we need to give the likes of Pepe reason to believe. We then need to follow that up with a big summer in the market. If that happens Pepe won't be going anywhere, Mark my words. More underachievement and false promises and he'll rightly be on his way.

Fair point on the Spanish coaches, although it's a lot harder to get into a national side than it is to lose your place in it.

Far from pressing the panic button, but in similar terms to recent years, it's far easier to win things with world class players than it is without them.

Never would doubt his immense ability, but

a) that is only of use to us if he intends to give us everything he's got and in my experience players who have decided they want out don't give you everything they've got

b) we've a lot more wrong with this team and squad than goalkeeper. If we're in Arsenal's position in 3 years - "We play nice stuff but if only we had a top keeper to put the cherry on the cake" - that would do for me.

Schmeichel could put about 15 extra points on the board for the Mancs, games where it seemed like 11 v 1 and he'd win. I genuinely don't put Pepe at that level.

Isn't there a shots to goals ratio table where Reina isn't near the top?

Hypotheticals are always tricky I know, BUT

if he wasn't here how many people would look at this team and regard a goalkeeper as a priority?

Think we have to get back to the principle that WE are gonna have the ball most of the time and let the opponent worry about us for a change.

If we get there and the goalie is letting us down, sort it then.

And if his patience is wearing thin now, then it won't have improved by 2012 because we'll still be rebuilding by then.

That 'statement' - call it an interview if you're so inclined - makes it clear where his mind is at. As with Torres we can't afford dissent in the ranks now. Those who are leaving, leave - and let those who are staying get ready for the monumental task in hand.

But don't come back and expect open arms.

The wages pay for his performance on the pitch. If you need a player you will pay for it. Even us with the likes of Carroll..IF we sold him at his peak will he be ever worth more than £35 million (plus the rumoured 25% sell on clause)?

What you on about?. Carroll £35 million plus £70,000 per week 6 year deal. Total package £56 Million. And He will have resale value.

In fact, Reina, Torres and Gerrard – the club's three greatest assets – were told they could not leave at a time when the club were looking for a new buyer. Reina will not admit it and nor will he deny it. "The clauses in my contract are between me and the club," he says simply – but he secured a buy-out clause understood to be in the region of £20m. In the meantime, little changed to encourage him to stay. In fact, the handling of Torres's departure did the opposite. Loyalty cuts both ways

Thanks Christian.176748496.jpg

if he wasn't here how many people would look at this team and regard a goalkeeper as a priority?

Think we have to get back to the principle that WE are gonna have the ball most of the time and let the opponent worry about us for a change.

Funny thing is that that was said often last season regarding Mascherano.

Losing Pepe, ain't the end of the world far from it but dismissing the importance of having quality in key areas is kinda naive thinking. Obviously if he wants to leave then sound and I agree that anyone who doesn't want to be here in the summer can go as we need togetherness. But am not sure Reina is in that bracket yet. I think he's unsure. I think he's wondering at what point we'll be back at the top. In the same way anyone we look to buy in the summer is thinking the same.

If they don't think this is right for them then they ain't right for us and we can move on. I just don't think it's that cut and dry yet though.

See Coop's post. Entirely plausible, would not put it past them and they've always been the same as you know; red devil putting the trident through the liverbird's chest and what not...

Still, interview was never going to be greeted well whenever it appeared.

Will be quite happy when Lowe and Balague have fuck all reason to write about this club - unless it's Champions League related.

You mean when all the Spaniards have left or something else?

Guest simon

Thank's Christian? What the fuck has he done to deserve the shit he gets? And I want propper answers not SOS driven bollox. It's bang out.

Hypotheticals are always tricky I know, BUT

If we get there and the goalie is letting us down, sort it then.

And if his patience is wearing thin now, then it won't have improved by 2012 because we'll still be rebuilding by then.

That 'statement' - call it an interview if you're so inclined - makes it clear where his mind is at. As with Torres we can't afford dissent in the ranks now. Those who are leaving, leave - and let those who are staying get ready for the monumental task in hand.

But don't come back and expect open arms.

Is right. You're either with us or against us.