You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Pepe leave what the fuck do we do

Guest simon

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people need to understand that Torres will be playing a part in this, to justify is decision to move he will have a negative impact on reina. Also we should bear in mind that if he did want to go last summer he would have. So he did give the club time. The timing of the interview is shocking, why did he give it in the first place. He's coming out with the same shit about romance as torres. One thing though fergie would love to get him but would united spend £20 million on a 29year old with £120,000 wages. Also nesv need start showing some balls.

Our "mate" Daniel? ;o)

See Coop's post. Entirely plausible, would not put it past them and they've always been the same as you know; red devil putting the trident through the liverbird's chest and what not...

Still, interview was never going to be greeted well whenever it appeared.

Will be quite happy when Lowe and Balague have fuck all reason to write about this club - unless it's Champions League related.

Kinda right though. He's the best in the world for me and it was a show of loyalty for arguably the best in his position to stick with a club that was rapidly going downhill and looked destined for the Uefa Cup in the short term.

I don't think that comment is meant to sound like as bad as he's doing us a favour, just that he wanted to stay but that desire to be here is behind a desire to win things. Ultimately, that's why he came here because of a belief we could do that as opposed to be playing at the level we have been in recent times.

Its quite funny how some fans harp on about players not showing loyalty when it suits them. Dirk Kuyt had offers from other clubs in the summer but he chose to stay, all he gets for showing that loyalty is abuse EVERY game, its the same with Lucas 100% commitment on the pitch every game and he's never once complained about the fans booing him, yet he still gets abuse on here by loads. for doing nothing more than being loyal.

Amazing how he "he isnt as good as people think he is" and "there are better goalkeepers outthere" as soon as there is a hint of him leaving.

It took us fucking years to get a great goalkeeper and had to go through a load of crap before getting him. Look at the Scum they had to go through 8-10 goalkeepers before they got to Van Der Sar after Schmiechal. Arsenal forever looking for a solid goalkeeper since Seaman.

the likes of Neur, De Gea, lloris arent clos to his level.

If we end up with Paul fucking shitty Robinson then we might aswell give up now.

I think people need to understand that Torres will be playing a part in this, to justify is decision to move he will have a negative impact on reina. Also we should bear in mind that if he did want to go last summer he would have. So he did give the club time. The timing of the interview is shocking, why did he give it in the first place. He's coming out with the same shit about romance as torres. One thing though fergie would love to get him but would united spend £20 million on a 29year old with £120,000 wages. Also nesv need start showing some balls.

They would spend £20 million on a 29 year old seeing that he will another six years playing time. When did his wage increase to Gerrards level?

From a business perspective, selling a 28 year old goalkeeper who may not be fully committed to the club and is on £90k per week wages for a £20m transfer fee, and replacing him with a young emerging goalkeeper for less money and lower wages makes good business sense.

However, finding a suitable replacement may prove problematic as Man United found when replacing Schemeichel and Arsenal with Jens Lehamann.

As I've said previously, loyalty doesn't mean the same to Spaniards and their ilk on the continent - You might lose homegrown players to more ambitious clubs, but they'll generally have the decency to avoid your bitterest rivals unless it's mutually beneficial for both clubs to sell.

Nothing is thought of players tap dancing between top clubs in Spain and Italy. It's a different culture, a different personality. In hindsight, it was probably never going to be conducive to a long term culture of success at Anfield.

Guest simon

I believe Neuer all round game is slightly better. In fact ill say hes the best young keeper I have seen in along time he could walk Into any team he wanted.

If he does leave, I'd love for us to try and get Given, I know it would be difficult, but he'd want to leave and he's still one of the best Keepers in the league.

Edit: Didn't realise he was 34 years old, given the price we'd have to pay I think this might be a bad idea.

If he does leave, I'd love for us to try and get Given, I know it would be difficult, but he'd want to leave and he's still one of the best Keepers in the league.

He's a good shot stopper but little else. He'll always look good with a leaky defence in front of him, but otherwise he's a poor goalkeeper. That's why no top club really paid him much attention - He lacks the authority and attention-span to be elite, and they're far more important - and unfortunately rare - qualities than great, flashy shot stopping.

Wouldn't these players only leave to play Champions league?

Normally, yes, we could replace Reina fairly easy because there are some very good keepers around, but in our current state I don't see us getting any of the keepers listed above. Maybe De Gea, but I really havn't seen enough of him to say he'd do a good job for us?

Not many Champions league teams want a top class goal keeper. Their high price means not many can afford them.

As I've said previously, loyalty doesn't mean the same to Spaniards and their ilk on the continent - You might lose homegrown players to more ambitious clubs, but they'll generally have the decency to avoid your bitterest rivals unless it's mutually beneficial for both clubs to sell.

Nothing is thought of players tap dancing between top clubs in Spain and Italy. It's a different culture, a different personality. In hindsight, it was probably never going to be conducive to a long term culture of success at Anfield.

Yeah like Michael Owen who plays for Man United or Gerrard who wanted to go to.... Chelsea.

Think you've got to understand there's not much loyalty left in football, and it's nothing to do with the Spanish players.

But loyalty means much more to the English... Owen (i will sign a new contract)...Mcmanaman (i will leave on a free)..Gerrard (I nearly left because i wasnt offered a new contract)...Carragher (i wont sit on the bench)..

Yeah like Michael Owen who plays for Man United or Gerrard who wanted to go to.... Chelsea.

Think you've got to understand there's not much loyalty left in football, and it's nothing to do with the Spanish players.

That is true to some end, but it's always been more open on the continent, the milling about between clubs. Ultimately, Gerrard didn't leave and Owen didn't force out hand - I'd never make excuses for the little turd, but he didn't go direct to Man Utd. Anyway, he'd always been the definition of businessman as footballer. The same creature who refuses to read fiction and was always motivated to play for England above all else. Strange man.

They would spend £20 million on a 29 year old seeing that he will another six years playing time. When did his wage increase to Gerrards level?

That was a guess. He's on good money say £100,000, so £20 million plus 6 years wages of £30 million, £50 million investment in a player who will have no resale value. The way football is now can't see any club paying that.

Lowe twitters

1.Intrvw done at Sp camp (as is made clear) & in Sp.

2. Timing not Reina's fault.

3. There were only two other options for days to run intrvw.

4. Provisional decision taken before content even known.

5. Entirely natural to run intrvw with LFC player as part of preview to this game (regardless of content).

6. Does it really make much diff?

7. And of course accusations of desire to cause trouble are complete bollocks.

What's annoying about that Guardian interview, isn't so much the content as there's not much in it, but the timing, and I blame Sid Lowe for this, if you read the start its obvious the interview was given during the last international break, but is held back 3 weeks till the day before we play our biggest rivals, bad form by lowe, as you know the rags will sensationlise it by tomorrow.

Anyway I've got to the stage now that New Owners, New Manager New Era so I'll not be upset if he goes providing he tells the club asap so we can get a replacement

Lowe has Fact Cancer.

The thing with Pepe is that I think he'd be shocked at the genuine level of laissez-faire attitude towards him leaving. I certainly can't be arsed to beg a player to stay at this club.

The holy trinity has become a holy duo.

That was a guess. He's on good money say £100,000, so £20 million plus 6 years wages of £30 million, £50 million investment in a player who will have no resale value. The way football is now can't see any club paying that.

The wages pay for his performance on the pitch. If you need a player you will pay for it. Even us with the likes of Carroll..IF we sold him at his peak will he be ever worth more than £35 million (plus the rumoured 25% sell on clause)?

Edit: Didn't realise he was 34 years old, given the price we'd have to pay I think this might be a bad idea.

Shay Given is absolutely fucking shit, mate. Don't mean to sound like a cunt here, but have you watched him a lot? I have, I think he is in the top 3 overrated players in the history of the Premiership.