You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Supporter Ownership Announcement

The Spirit of Shankly wish to inform members that there have been detailed discussions with Share Liverpool over the last six months regarding the progress that had been made by Share Liverpool in promoting a supporters' ownership scheme.

The discussions centred on the perception from our members (and supporters generally) that progress had stalled under the Share Liverpool scheme and that an opportunity was being lost which might not be available again for some time.

The Management Committee of the Spirit of Shankly reached the conclusion that a merger of the two organisations would be appropriate in order to use the momentum and resources that the Union had together with the expertise that undoubtedly existed within Share Liverpool.

The merger discussions reached a point where the Union put a formal proposal to Share Liverpool for merger and Share Liverpool met on 2nd June to consider the offer.

Unfortunately Share Liverpool have rejected a merger which has left the Union with no alternative but to put into place a contingency plan that we have been working on for some time.

This plan involves the creation and launch of a credit union scheme to collect payments from supporters to establish a fund for the purchase of a stake in the Club. It will allow for members to make monthly payments to reach the starting point of £500 per supporter.

This will be launched this summer.

In addition the best of the Share Liverpool proposals relating to the structure of how the scheme will work and the approach to wealthier supporters and commercial organisations will still take place except now there will be transparent progress. Members will see their funds safely secure and will be able to see the growth in the fund.

We would urge all those that made an initial pledge to Share Liverpool to fall in behind the Union with the promise of action, progress and the best effort that can be made for us to secure a preliminary stake in our Club.

We have put a more detailed explanation of the background to this decision on our website at Supporter Ownership – Spirit Of Shankly – Liverpool Supporters' Union

Spirit of Shankly

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

It certainly removes one of my serious concerns and the biggest reason I didn't renew my membership with the union. ShareLiverpool are the least convincing argument for fan ownership I've ever seen.

I still don't think fan ownership will ever work in England, and I still think it's a bad idea, but at least ShareLiverpool have been told to take a walk.

Guest Super Sub

As much as I think the idea o fan owner ship is good in theory, in practise I feel it will be doomed should it ever happen. I think there will be far too many different agendas and after a honey moon period things will go down hill.

I would however take fan ownership over anything else on the table.

Guest Super Sub
Interesting.

It certainly removes one of my serious concerns and the biggest reason I didn't renew my membership with the union. ShareLiverpool are the least convincing argument for fan ownership I've ever seen.

I still don't think fan ownership will ever work in England, and I still think it's a bad idea, but at least ShareLiverpool have been told to take a walk.

Why didn't you renew your membership?

So SOS want people to follow thier lead in getting rid of the owners whilst having two people at the front of their march wearing the new shirt that puts money in the yanks hands?!

Is it any wonder membership is so low.

Tedious.

It wasn't our march. Not organised by us.

300 new members in the last 48 hours.

Guest TesticleOReilly
Tedious.

What was the idea behind the Debts, Lies, Cowboys campaign? Presumably to highlight the situation to people in the dark, ie OOTers?

What was the idea behind the Debts, Lies, Cowboys campaign? Presumably to highlight the situation to people in the dark, ie OOTers?

It was a general profile raising exercise which saw a brilliant return on the billboards purchased locally in terms of column inches and TV exposure.

Again it saw a spike in new memberships.

Tedious.

Tedious how?

Is it not an important point that 'fans' continue to put money in the hands of the two cunts that own us?

Until SOS adopt a full scale hostile approach I will have nothing to do with them.

Tedious how?

Is it not an important point that 'fans' continue to put money in the hands of the two cunts that own us?

Until SOS adopt a full scale hostile approach I will have nothing to do with them.

Tedious in the sense that any gathering of fans these days is put down to the Union which allows stories about us being too militant (flag burning) or not militant enough (no boycott) to come out.

Join, come to the meeting on the 12th and suggest a boycott - it's on the agenda. You've more chance of getting what you want that way.

Guest TesticleOReilly
It was a general profile raising exercise which saw a brilliant return on the billboards purchased locally in terms of column inches and TV exposure.

Again it saw a spike in new memberships.

I didn't ask for a textbook biased political response. But anyway, purchased locally? To educate people that already know the situation? Top job.

You spent thousands on billboards and posters to educate people. Now, presuming most people in Liverpool know the situation, you're looking at educating OOTers, daytrippers.

Yet nowhere did the posters mention Hicks and Gillette. Tom and George? Tom who? Tom Selleck? Tom and Jerry? George who? George Harrison? George and Mildred? Boy George? Which Tom and George are you referring to?

Not Welcome Here! Not welcome where? Doesn't make any mention of Liverpool Football Club, Anfield, RBS, Kop Holding, nothing, no relevant information included whatsoever to highlight the cause. Nothing.

The killer is the arrogance portrayed by SoS in assuming your logo is enough to interest people. Put a BMW sign on there, I know what the company and product is. Put a Nike or Adidas logo on there, I know what I'm looking at. The same fans you aim for are the same ones who aren't old enough to remember Shankly, generations have passed since then. The same fans who, as can be seen on this forum, read The S*n online. The same fans who aren't old enough to remember Hysel or Hillsborough. And you think your logo is important enough to sway people into parting with their hard earned cash? Unbelievable, Jeff.

You think because you know who you are that everyone else does, and that self-importance has resulted in pissing a lot of people's money down the drain. The exposure was far less than you claim.

Tedious in the sense that any gathering of fans these days is put down to the Union which allows stories about us being too militant (flag burning) or not militant enough (no boycott) to come out.

Join, come to the meeting on the 12th and suggest a boycott - it's on the agenda. You've more chance of getting what you want that way.

You should be so lucky as to have things associated with yourselves, because it seems there are far more people, rightly or wrongly, willing to do something in the name of this club than you yourselves are.

As for the second bit ... Join. Don't think so. Suggest a boycott? Again, don't think so. I don't need your permission to make a stand, and neither does anyone else. Maybe get my way if I ask nicely? Get t'fuck. I do that myself. I don't go to the games. I don't subscribe to Sky. I don't buy any LFC merchandise (expect when I'm in SE Asia). I don't visit the Site. I cancelled my LFC credit card, my Orange contract, everything, and I told them all why. Petty? Maybe, but at least it's a start.

What sacrifice do YOU make? Protest does not exist without personal sacrifice. Trouble is there are far too many wanting the first and far too few not willing to suffer the latter. You included. Maybe if you lot made more of a sacrifice you'd have more members.

TOR,

This is a thread about supporter ownership.

I'd be more than happy to answer your passionate rejection of the Union and I'll tell you my personal sacrifices privately rather than seeking to publicise it on a website.

Not being provocative or arsey, it's a reasonable attempt to have a propoer debate with you.

secretary@spiritofshankly.com

Have to say that I had no belief in supporter ownership. But as times changes and we get deeper into the shit, it is as you say at least an once in a lifetime opportunity.

Is it going to be possible to invest/give more than £500?