You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool to listen to offers for Aquilani.

BolshieBastard

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's said ever since he made the signing that he was for the future not for now.

Could be that not having had any sort of 'pre-season' with any team and the injury still causing minor problems, that he is being managed so we can see the best out of him in the future rather than throw him in and see him have a set back.

I'd have thought that would be considered good management.

I'd have thought that's a load of bollox. Explain to me how much more benficial it would be to for him to get 20 to 30 mins in a pre season stroll around with aside consisting of a mixed bag of ressies and squad players as opposed to say getting 20 mins in a PL game when we are 2 or 3 up

Was our 'best player last season' our best player the season before (or the one before that) when Benitez decided to try something different?

It seems strange to me that people are constantly accusing Benitez of being stubborn yet when he is decisive and makes a decision people have a go at him for that.

Alonso played well last year - Benitez changed his mind and wanted him to stay, and offered another contract. Alonso had already agreed terms with Real Madrid and put in a transfer request. Anything else is simply guesswork.

Hers a novelty- try thinking about man management. The player has bad season does that give you the reason to sell him? Why not motivate him and then keep him. I don't know how long you've followed us but you might want to read up on Shanks and Paisley to get an idea. There's a well known story about Rushie in his early days which illustrates the above perfectly.

Hers a novelty- try thinking about man management. The player has bad season does that give you the reason to sell him? Why not motivate him and then keep him. I don't know how long you've followed us but you might want to read up on Shanks and Paisley to get an idea. There's a well known story about Rushie in his early days which illustrates the above perfectly.

Don't think to hard about Shankly and Paisley's man management style though, otherwise you might find there are quite a few similarities between how they viewed players and how Rafa views players as well!

Apparently all Rafa needs to do is hug Ryan Babel and he will win us the league!

Regarding Aquilani, the lad wants to go and hates it in Liverpool, that is why we are listening to offers.

Don't think to hard about Shankly and Paisley's man management style though, otherwise you might find there are quite a few similarities between how they viewed players and how Rafa views players as well!

Apparently all Rafa needs to do is hug Ryan Babel and he will win us the league!

Regarding Aquilani, the lad wants to go and hates it in Liverpool, that is why we are listening to offers.

I don't blame him for hating it and wanting to go. In fact, i'd think he's a bit weird if he wanted to stay based on the way he's been treated.

I don't blame him for hating it and wanting to go. In fact, i'd think he's a bit weird if he wanted to stay based on the way he's been treated.

More to do with Liverpool the City rather than how he has been treated, I know I stick up for Rafa so I am biased, but I think this is a genuine case of 'not working out'.

He is apparently a cracking player but a bit of a whinge and always crying off training etc, always carrying an injury.

No? Really?

If only there'd been some kind of clue beforehand.

Fair point, but there is a difference between injuries and viruses!

I think it is a fair criticism that if you have been out for six months, and the club has been patient/overly safe with you, you shouldn't be pulling out of matches with a virus!

Collymore was noted for it (remember Middlesborough in the Milk Cup?), Evans wasn't criticised too much for getting rid in that situation.

I've been forwarded a PDF of the Aquilani deal/contract, for anyone interested.

Its in Italian, obviously.

God knows how I upload it, attach it on here, though.

If anyone wants a nose or can put it up, PM me and I'll email it over.

It has the payment and scheduling figures on; I don't know if it hasn't already been put up, I'm not reading through all of this shite.

My thoughts; buying injury prone players for a high fee is asking for it, buying one for a high fee who plays in a position already covered by the Club Captain and talisman, is bonkers, for me. Asking him to play as a deep-lying pivot in the English Prem, fist season, smacks of desperation/cluelessness.

Fair point, but there is a difference between injuries and viruses!

I think it is a fair criticism that if you have been out for six months, and the club has been patient/overly safe with you, you shouldn't be pulling out of matches with a virus!

Collymore was noted for it (remember Middlesborough in the Milk Cup?), Evans wasn't criticised too much for getting rid in that situation.

Sorry but the emphasis there on HIM pulling out ignores the times he was perfectly fit and simply wasn't trusted by the manager, or indeed was not considered better than Lucas.

Evans always wanted to select Colllymore. Can you honestly say the same for Rafa and Aquilani?

Sorry but the emphasis there on HIM pulling out ignores the times he was perfectly fit and simply wasn't trusted by the manager, or indeed was not considered better than Lucas.

Evans always wanted to select Colllymore. Can you honestly say the same for Rafa and Aquilani?

Apparently he started playing up at the start of December! I just think, Rafa has concluded that he is not the man for a scrap! Which is what we have needed a lot of the time.

You don't pull out with a 'virus' and then say the following week, you are perfectly fine.

And that was the problem with Collymore, no strikers and he has the flu, and it was as soon as he started playing up that he was sold. We had him, Robbie and Lee Jones as the options, so Evans didn't really have any option.

You'd think with Macia's brief being to buy players with the right "mentality", apparently over and above everything else, he might have looked into that sort of thing.

It might not be the case in Rome, for his team, with his girlfreind happy and content though.

Apparently he started playing up at the start of December! I just think, Rafa has concluded that he is not the man for a scrap! Which is what we have needed a lot of the time.

You don't pull out with a 'virus' and then say the following week, you are perfectly fine.

Again it's broken record time; do you not think that with a player that had missed so much football in the preceding 3 years, that was always a possibility?

And with such amounts at stake, that it was entirely reckless to take that chance?

Injury prone or a shirking ponce? No, what we got for months on end was this babble about a 20m 'bargain' and the hideous incompetence of Roma's medical staff, stated with total conviction by Rafa and (again, sorry) his apologists.

I suppose someone's bound to mention that Rafa thought he was getting more money for someone else and was betrayed by the Americans.

Whilst somehow believing there was no way he could see that coming either...

Again it's broken record time; do you not think that with a player that had missed so much football in the preceding 3 years, that was always a possibility?

And with such amounts at stake, that it was entirely reckless to take that chance?

Injury prone or a shirking ponce? No, what we got for months on end was this babble about a 20m 'bargain' and the hideous incompetence of Roma's medical staff, stated with total conviction by Rafa and (again, sorry) his apologists.

I suppose someone's bound to mention that Rafa thought he was getting more money for someone else and was betrayed by the Americans.

Whilst somehow believing there was no way he could see that coming either...

That's pretty much it, but he wants to go as well, which is sort of my point! Ignore that part if you want, but I think that goes someway to explain his absences.

It's a complete joke, the lengths some will go to in order to justify a mistake which Rafa has already admitted. Shit signing, move on.

Not trying to justify the signing, not at all, trying to put it into context and ask why, shit signing yes, but why? 'Cos of Rafa' seems to suffice for some people, but not me.

No, he's made some good signings too. "Why" is difficult in this case; it's hard to see any logic in it. It just looks like a huge gamble, but that doesn't make sense in the context of a man who wants to push on from the previous season.

It's also the second 'big' signing which has turned sour, and for non footballing reasons as well.

I think the fact that he realises his mistakes quite quickly is actually a good thing, but would rather he took a bit more care in the first place!