You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool to listen to offers for Aquilani.

BolshieBastard

He's said ever since he made the signing that he was for the future not for now.

Could be that not having had any sort of 'pre-season' with any team and the injury still causing minor problems, that he is being managed so we can see the best out of him in the future rather than throw him in and see him have a set back.

I'd have thought that would be considered good management.

Do you think him allegedly admitting as Coro said on an earlier post that he made a mistake in signing him is good management?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that statement based on fact?

Fact, conjecture, pulled straight from ass, the distinction really isn't important around here. Repeating stuff loudly and often is what counts. Throw in some 'cunts', lace with xenophobic undertones, sprinkle a few "bizarres" and "illogicals" for stuff you don't understand and the job is a good 'un.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this sorry affair. There's no way of arguing against the fact that Rafa has been a complete and utter failure in the transfer market for the last two years. He's been financially constrained in terms of having to sell to buy, but when the exits have consistently been of higher quality than the replacements, then it eventually becomes a case of bad managerial judgement.

He's said ever since he made the signing that he was for the future not for now.

Could be that not having had any sort of 'pre-season' with any team and the injury still causing minor problems, that he is being managed so we can see the best out of him in the future rather than throw him in and see him have a set back.

fucking hell.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this sorry affair. There's no way of arguing against the fact that Rafa has been a complete and utter failure in the transfer market for the last two years. He's been financially constrained in terms of having to sell to buy, but when the exits have consistently been of higher quality than the replacements, then it eventually becomes a case of bad managerial judgement.

Even so, nobody has ever suggested he was told who to buy. £80m of players signed in those 2 years, including 3 players at >£17m.

As you said "utter failure in the transfer market".

Guest PurpleNose

My main gripe with the Aquilani situation is that Rafa hasn't been playing him when he could.

When Gerrard and Aquilani are fit the former should play central midfield, the latter as the number 10.

Politics, yet again, seems to have contributed towards another signing being a failure.

Remember though we have consistently fucked up deals we should have closed out and have ended up having to take punts on lesser players. We only took the punt on Aquilani because we screwed up the Barry deal.

Every manager makes mistakes in signings and Rafa is no different and I can forgive him for this mistake.

However there is no justiffcation for treating Aqualiani like a complete peice of shi. He was Rafa's mistake so at least show him some respect.

Aqualani hasnt done a Babel and complained about his treatment to the press and has been a model pro and I just think he deserves better.

Also the fact I actually think he is a very good footballer has nothing to do with it

He hasn't had any setbacks then?

Remember though we have consistently fucked up deals we should have closed out and have ended up having to take punts on lesser players. We only took the punt on Aquilani because we screwed up the Barry deal.

Barry didn't want to come. There was no deal. As soon as he knew City were interested, he was not going to come here, or anywhere else for that matter. Benitez had at least a season to prepare for the fact that Barry was highly unlikely to want to come.

A punt? A £20m punt!

A punt would have been bringing in someone like Mark Noble for less than half the price of Aquilani. A punt would have been giving Jay Spearing a chance to shine. Given how often Aquilani has played we couldn't have done any worse with a relatively unproven player like him.

We didn't HAVE to sign anyone to replace Alonso. We could have waited or spent the money elsewhere.

As other have said, he was in no position to make such a 17m "punt" on a notoriously fragile player, currently injured (!).

Barry didn't want to come. There was no deal. As soon as he knew City were interested, he was not going to come here, or anywhere else for that matter. Benitez had at least a season to prepare for the fact that Barry was highly unlikely to want to come.

If we hadn't fucked it up in the first place Aquilani wouldn't have been on the radar.

A punt? A £20m punt!

A punt would have been bringing in someone like Mark Noble for less than half the price of Aquilani. A punt would have been giving Jay Spearing a chance to shine. Given how often Aquilani has played we couldn't have done any worse with a relatively unproven player like him.

We didn't HAVE to sign anyone to replace Alonso. We could have waited or spent the money elsewhere.

To be fair I think that this utter car crash of a season has proved that we had to. We did and he got it completly wrong. However Ive still not given up hope on Aquilani becoming a good player for us in the future.

A punt? A £20m punt!

Noble and spearing aren't good enough.

In the position we were in last summer, and with the finances as they were/are, signing a player for the future at £20m is a luxury. A luxury he as a manager and us as a club could not afford.

Which is absolutely correct if it was £20 Mill up front - when i

t's works out at €5 Mill up front with the remainder based on appearances and trophies won it doesn't look quite so bad does it?

I wouldn't expect the ART to consider all the factors though - it doesn't support their diatribe.

Fact, conjecture, pulled straight from ass, the distinction really isn't important around here. Repeating stuff loudly and often is what counts. Throw in some 'cunts', lace with xenophobic undertones, sprinkle a few "bizarres" and "illogicals" for stuff you don't understand and the job is a good 'un.

I must admit my side of the debate is ALWAYS swayed by the louder the voice is.

Yes because they told him to sign Babel, Dossena, Riera, Keane, Aquilani et al didn't they?

OK so now we have a fact that we can work on now.

Wasn't Babel bought before they got their feet under the table?

Wasn't Keane bought to fit into a plan that was scuppered by the Leeches withdrawing agreed funds for team-building?

Wasn't Aquilani the second choice after the Leeches refused to put another £2 Mill into the purchase of the first choice player?

Now, I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind about your opinion - I'm simply trying to understand why you ignore these very very influential factors whilst forming your opinion.