You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone met/talked to past or present players?

Diddyman

:whoops:It was about 4 years ago, I was walking with my wife in Dana Point, California and I thought I saw Barry Venison in a restaurant. About half an hour later I came face to face with him in a shop and I just froze......Didn't know what to say to the man so I just nodded toward him and then walked away! Barry Venison for fucks sake! Haha.

Wish I had at least said "Alright Barry lad, what the fuck you doing here? Having a nice holiday with yer missus?" :wow::wow:

Just wondering if anyone else has had contact with any of the players and what was the outcome.......

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At college in Sheffield, we saw half the Newcastle team in a swanky clothes shop on Eccleshall Road when they were down for a match. I phoned my house mate who was a Geordie and he came down to get autographs. As he went round them all, I chatted to Barry Venison and Peter Beardsley about Liverpool. They were really friendly and chatty and both spoke highly of the club. Andy Cole, on the other hand, was a complete cunt and just tutted, "Not another one" as my mate tried to get him to sign his shirt.

I've also met John Barnes twice when he's done awards presentations for the kids at our place. He is a great bloke; really passionate about education and able to speak publicly without notes and hold an audience for ages.

Last year when I made my trip to our home game against Wigan, I met Phil Neal outside the players' & executives entrance. So I shouted 'Phil!' He turned towards me and said 'how are you doing?' We shook hands and he continue his walk and that's about it.

I've met a few - once met Souness and chatted for about 2 minutes about the team of the 80's. More recently met Jermaine Pennant at an Asian football tournament, he was with someone I know, and it was a few months before he joined us and the loud mouth was telling everyone that he was joining Liverpool.

I was mascot once at Norwich in about 1990, met the whole team. My Dad is scottish & Dalglish spent ages speaking to him.

Met Venison & Houghton at Atlantic Park in Portugal in the early 90's, when I was about 11. Houghton was really good and spent loads of time talking to my Dad.

My Kenny again on holiday in Orlando. He recognised my Dad again and again spent ages talking too him.

Was playing football at Huddersfield Town the other week and Terry McDermott was there. I asked him to tell him about his goal in Rome. He started laughing.

I met King Kenny at the Melson Mandela invitational golf tournament out here about 2004. He was sound ,we walked the course with him talking football in between shots. At the time he said that he thought Smicer , when we bought him, would be the missing piece to bring GH the title but by then he thought he wasn't strong enough for the prem.

Only one or two Liverpool players, but the ex-player that really gave me goose pimples when I saw him was this fella in a bar in Crete.

200px-Puskas_Ferenc.jpg

I didn't speak to him because I thought he wouldn't be able to speak English, I've regretted not making that attempt ever since.

Went on a tour of Melwood the day after Olympiacos '04, so talked to quite a few then.

At the Bordeaux game a couple of years ago, I talked to Alan Kennedy outside the ground. He told me the team before it was announced to the press, and had a chat about the players.

At the Chelsea match this week I was sitting by John Barnes. Didnt say much to him though because of the way the match went.

Also book signings by Thommo, Tommy Smith, and Peter Crouch.

Last year when I made my trip to our home game against Wigan, I met Phil Neal outside the players' & executives entrance. So I shouted 'Phil!' He turned towards me and said 'how are you doing?' We shook hands and he continue his walk and that's about it.

My mate sat next to Neal on the plane comming home from Barcelona in 2001.

He said Neal wouldn't shut up the whole way home and bored him to tears!

When I was 14 me and my dad went the Punch Bowl in Lunt and Steve McMahon was there in the beer garden, he came over and talked to us for about 2 hours as he recognised my Dad from his semi professional days. Apparently he's a bit of a knob now as a pundit but he was sound.

I went to a Sportsman's dinner last year in Crosby and Jan Molby was the main speaker, I talked to him on his own for a while telling him about the game Pete organised against the Danish lads who came over and played against us at Walton Hall Avenue.

Met Gary Gillespie last year, my mate asked him if he thought Mark Lawrenson liked rent boys, he said "let's just say Mark liked to keep some strange company".

Met Sami Hyypia in Prague airport the day after Rafa took over, he seemed quite panicky when we asked him what he thought about the new manager, he signed a couple of my books then dashed off to get his flight to Helsinki. He speaks like Ivan Drago.

Guest Bandulu

I was stood next to the Spice boy crew (Babb, Mcateer, James, Scales, Redknapp) at the bar in a club in Dublin. I blanked the lot of them.

I used to be good mates with Jim Beglins son so was round his house quite a bit in birkdale about 5 years ago.

My sister and my dad got into the players and execs bit one day not sure why and my sister back when she used to support everton (I still give her shit) was wearing an everton shirt and she saw a load of the team, jason mcateer came over picked her up and took her outside.

I had a row with Didi Hamaan once in a bar in Hoylake, I was on a works night out and one of the lads took a photo of him on his camera phone without asking him and he turned round and went sick thinking it was me who took it.

Was rowing with him for a good couple of minutes trying to explain i didn't even have a camera phone! He looked pretty minced like, it was after the derby at the pit when carsley scored.

Leg though Didi!

Had a chat with Emlyn Hughes once, must have been around 1983/84ish. We spoke about the game when we thrashed Spurs 7 - 0 at Anfield. He seemed an ok guy although not as bubbly as he came across on tele..................maybe that was something to do with me though :D