You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Slagging off Soccer Saturday - 3rd Jan edition

Redder Lurtz

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

How would i know its a joke?

Didn't know you needed to tell people you were joking as a joke was being told. I've got Jerry Seinfeld's phone number, I'll let him know he should prime his next stand up set by saying he's just joking before he gets into it.  

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So, what you're saying is that representation is a bad thing? That having people on the telly who look and sound like the viewers at home is something we should avoid?

You don't know what you're talking about. 

I started off by saying it's unfortunate that if a black person gets the job nobheads would cry tokenism.  I did not reckon on the nobheads going on the attack before anyone was appointed.

Did i say that? Fuck me the people in here.

No what i said was, is that many organisations are changing and it wouldn't surprise me that they got in a more diverse panel.

I said nothing about whether representation is good or bad. 

And i know what I'm talking about I have experience of it. You can believe me or not, entirely up to you, but it goes on.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Would be astonishing if true given that he's a grown man. Imagine never being able to sack someone - ever - in case they go the pub.

Anyone else got a better explanation? He’s an embarrassment on there, with his thick as mince schtick, making absolutely no attempt to pronounce anyone with the slightest non British sounding name properly and all the other ‘lads’ giving him the ‘what are you like, Merse?’

• Upvote 2

I don’t have (and never have had) sky so haven’t watched this since it used to be available on sky sports news on freeview other than maybe a handful of times at mattes houses or in a pub without bookie channels on a Saturday, so I’m not keyed in on this particularly, but I’m absolutely certain they will be looking to have better representation of race and gender on this show than they had, otherwise it’s unlikely they’d have made a stark change of removing 3 panelist’s at once.

its absolutely their right to do it, and it makes sense that if they are wanting to replace old faces with new ones that they’d seek for a more diverse choice while doing so.

you could argue it’s to be seen to be doing the right thing, or you could argue that it’s the right thing. Neither really matters too much.

They’ll very likely end up with pretty poor pundits, of which some will be non white and some will be female. Not because female and non whittle pundits are worse than white male pundits, but because most pundits are universally poor.

when I’ve watched it, it’s not shone out to me like a column of light that any of those current lot are great pundits, but they obviously get on and have good chemistry, so it’s entertaining for many viewers. I don’t know if that’s always been the case but I’d guess not in the very early days of it, and I’d imagine any new panel will lack that to begin with, but will develop it over time.

at the end of the day it’s a bunch of people watching the footie and talking bollocks for a couple of hours on a weekend. If it’s not entertaining to people fairly quickly, I’d expect people will stop watching, and that might make sky try a different mix or it might not, but it’ll still be entirely up to them what they do, and I doubt they’ll decide “it’s gone shit, lets get the old white men back in”.

Amazing how not renewing the contracts of 3 people has got the racists foaming at the mouth, especially when no one has been mentioned by Sky producers as replacements. And absolutely bizarre scenes especially from Beef and the guy with the (I can only think) ironic Free Palestine avatar on here.

• Upvote 7

35 minutes ago, Champ said:

Anyone else got a better explanation? He’s an embarrassment on there, with his thick as mince schtick, making absolutely no attempt to pronounce anyone with the slightest non British sounding name properly and all the other ‘lads’ giving him the ‘what are you like, Merse?’

It's that programme's stock-in-trade. Incompetence is seen as "character". Unprofessionalism is seen as "banter".

Apparently, if one or more of the new recruits is black and/or female, it will definitely be tokenism, because how else could they hope to scale such lofty heights?

52 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Apart from moaning about the one time you were mildly inconvenienced in order to improve representation.

Who the fuck is moaning you twerp?

You are a fucking idiot. I was asked to replace one person with another in my piece of work because of the colour of the skin. Is that not racist?

But then I'm not surprised at this from you, you've got form for totally misunderstanding a point. I bet you drink soy lattes.

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

What are you on about? They have been on the panel for years. I don't watch it now but i have in the past.

Unless you've been living under a fucking rock the last couple of years, everything is now about representation. Movies, TV, Sport, everything. They won't replace three middle aged white fellas with another three middle aged white fellas will they?

Ive done work for the BBC in the recent past and I've been actively asked to switch around people in the work i do according to their skin colour so don't go telling me to give my head a wobble, i know exactly what I'm talking about.

Not moaning.

Nosireebob.

14 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Who the fuck is moaning you twerp?

You are a fucking idiot. I was asked to replace one person with another in my piece of work because of the colour of the skin. Is that not racist?

But then I'm not surprised at this from you, you've got form for totally misunderstanding a point. I bet you drink soy lattes.

Go on, then. Help a poor idiot out. What the fuck is your point? 

When you say "everything is now about representation" if you're not moaning about it, what are you doing? Celebrating diversity?

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Not moaning.

Nosireebob.

Seeing as you have the mental capacity of a 7 year old I will spell it out to you.

1. I suggested that the panel will be replaced by a more diverse representation based upon current events

2. You argued that didn't exist

3. I told you it did and has been a part of the social climate for years, even experiencing it for myself through work

4. Then you said I'm moaning about representation (?) and don't know what I'm talking about

5. You're still a fucking idiot.

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Go on, then. Help a poor idiot out. What the fuck is your point? 

When you say "everything is now about representation" if you're not moaning about it, what are you doing? Celebrating diversity?

Im arguing that creating a scenario whereas you exclude someone because of their skin colour in order to make things more representative isn't the solution to the problem.

Whether I'm told to replace someone in my work because of the colour of their skin or the Athletic to open up a specific job opportunity to a BAME applicant, is not representation, its racism.

Thats the fucking point. It doesn't matter if you are white, black, green or fucking covered in polka dots, excluding someone based on their skin is racist. So ill ask, are you ok with that?

Imaging arguing every pundit in the world is shite to justify jobs getting handed out to useless annoying cunts based on the colour of their skin. 

I suppose its an easier argument to make than Micah Richards deserves the job.   Since most people on here have been slaughtering him for months. 

2 hours ago, Champ said:

I've never seen you this enraged Cath, it's tremendous.

• Upvote 1