You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

do you want us to sign David Bentley?

Paco

Do you want us to sign David Bentley?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want us to sign David Bentley?

• Yes, look what he's done at Blackburn
    • No, he's a good player in a mediocre team

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want Bentley - he's not fast enough and his goal tally isn't high enough for a position where we need more goals. If we're going to sign more forwards, they have to be of the Gerrard/Torres match winner calibre, rather than the Pennant/Kuyt/Benayoun/Babel "can do a job" variety.

I think money will be tight this summer and so I'd spend, in order of priority, on a left back and right back first. After that I'd fill the right midfield/attack slot, but then we also could use a top player in the Babel position too, as well as another top striker. We haven't got anything like that sort of cash so it's two full backs for me - and Bentley can stay at Blackburn or go to Everton or Newcastle, which are about his level.

You're harsh on Babel to lump him with the mediocre players, Babel is only 20 and can be a top player in years to come.

I didn't say he was mediocre, mate; I just said he's a "can do a job" player, which is what he currently is. I think he's got a decent chance of coming good, but in the ideal scenario I was describing above, I wouldn't be betting the title on Ryan Babel becoming a nailed on match winner next season.

Unless I watched him on a consistent basis, which I haven't, I don't know enough about the lad. Save for brief bits on Goals on Sunday. I don't think I've watched one Blackburn game this season, except for when we've played them. It was the same last season and the same the season before that and the one before that.

Unless I watched him on a consistent basis, which I haven't, I don't know enough about the lad. Save for brief bits on Goals on Sunday. I don't think I've watched one Blackburn game this season, except for when we've played them. It was the same last season and the same the season before that and the one before that.

I'm also a bit like that. However, I do know he's not fast enough and that he doesn't score enough.

Agreed, but I doubt we'll get it. I was saying "no more squad players" a year ago to no avail.

The issue for me is one of money. How much will we have to spend in the summer? Who knows. I've completely tempered my expectations in the transfer market until those two have gone. They've been funding acquisitions with loans and, if they are still here in the summer, lending conditions will be tighter still.

I didn't say he was mediocre, mate; I just said he's a "can do a job" player, which is what he currently is. I think he's got a decent chance of coming good, but in the ideal scenario I was describing above, I wouldn't be betting the title on Ryan Babel becoming a nailed on match winner next season.

with that attitude paul we would have binned ronaldo after two seasons

season 1 -

league

goals 4

assists 4

cups

goals 2

assists 0

europe

goals 0 (ZERO!!!!)

assists 0 (ZIP!!!)

total goals - 6 total assists - 4

season 2 -

league

goals 5

assists 4

cups

goals 4

assists 0

europe

goals 0 (ZERO!!!!)

assists 0 (ZIP!!!)

total goals - 9 total assists - 4

season 3 -

league

goals 9

assists 6

cups

goals 2

assists 1

europe

goals 1

assists 0 (ZIP!!!)

total goals - 12 total assists - 7

wow! it was sooo obvious ronaldo was going to explode the next season

for the record babel has already out scored AND out assisted ronaldos first season (and we have 8 games still to play).

we need to be patiant and give babel playing time so his talent can flourish like ronaldo was afforded, we can't afford ready made world stars so lets nature them and not let our panick for the title force us into hasty decisions.

I said before he joined babel has world class poitential and nothig I've seen from the lad has made me change my mind.

as for bentley take it from some who has seen the 'glamour' wide players this season, bentley contribution has been at LEAST as fruitful and in many case more so.

as for the people who come out with comments like 'we need a torres signing rahter than crouch signing' we really should dig up the the liverpool way vaults and see just who was advocating torres' signing seeing as how his scoring for AM could be described at little more than modest.

bentley is TOP player people should top making judgements based on WHO he plays for and concentrate on HOW he plays.

All depends on the money. Bentley is an improvement on what we currently have on the right (Kuyt, Pennant, Benayoun), but the issue is whether or not he is enough of an improvement.

If we want to challenge strongly for the title next season then we need two first teamers (I know it's a squad game, but you know what I mean!) We need two players of the calibre of Torres and Mascherano in our most needy positions to improve that first eleven. Do that, and it is game on.

I'd not be averse to signing Bentley if, for example, we also signed Alves. Alves to be the overlapping, pacy, all action fullback; Bentley to exploit the space that would be created. Those two players would significantly upgrade the whole right side, and with a great spine already in place we'd really improve. But Bentley on his own? Probably not.

brownie using any source you like to do your search show me a wide midfielder who has scored and assisted more than bentley who doesn't

a) play for the top 3

b) play as a foward striker

c) cost less than 25M

you can search any league you like

It's not Footy Manager mate and stats don't mean shit really. I can only judge him on what i've seen of him, and he's a decent player but he would make no difference to us.

There's been countless examples of players who shine for average clubs but then struggle when they make the step up.

Wenger discarded Pennant, we went for him and he hasn't really done much. I think it would be the same with Bentley.

with that attitude paul we would have binned ronaldo after two seasons

season 1 -

league

goals 4

assists 4

cups

goals 2

assists 0

europe

goals 0 (ZERO!!!!)

assists 0 (ZIP!!!)

total goals - 6 total assists - 4

season 2 -

league

goals 5

assists 4

cups

goals 4

assists 0

europe

goals 0 (ZERO!!!!)

assists 0 (ZIP!!!)

total goals - 9 total assists - 4

season 3 -

league

goals 9

assists 6

cups

goals 2

assists 1

europe

goals 1

assists 0 (ZIP!!!)

total goals - 12 total assists - 7

wow! it was sooo obvious ronaldo was going to explode the next season

for the record babel has already out scored AND out assisted ronaldos first season (and we have 8 games still to play).

we need to be patiant and give babel playing time so his talent can flourish like ronaldo was afforded, we can't afford ready made world stars so lets nature them and not let our panick for the title force us into hasty decisions.

I said before he joined babel has world class poitential and nothig I've seen from the lad has made me change my mind.

as for bentley take it from some who has seen the 'glamour' wide players this season, bentley contribution has been at LEAST as fruitful and in many case more so.

How does what I said preclude what you said? I'm broadly of the same opinion as you about Babel (although not nearly as enthusiastic/optimistic). I think a more experienced top class player coming in ahead of him could ease his development by taking the pressure off.

It's not Footy Manager mate and stats don't mean shit really. I can only judge him on what i've seen of him, and he's a decent player but he would make no difference to us.

There's been countless examples of players who shine for average clubs but then struggle when they make the step up.

Wenger discarded Pennant, we went for him and he hasn't really done much. I think it would be the same with Bentley.

bentley asked to be released as he needed first team football.

he scored goal amkes goals and has superb technique, we're crying out for a player like him and as I've said before the width and pace SHOULD be provided by the fullbacks. we should be looking to bring in a combination of bentley (goals) alves (width), we aren't going to find someone who will provide both unless we break the 25M barrier. if we have 25M plus to spend on one player I can bring a MUCH better list to the table then bentley.

How does what I said preclude what you said? I'm broadly of the same opinion as you about Babel (although not nearly as enthusiastic/optimistic). I think a more experienced top class player coming in ahead of him could ease his development by taking the pressure off.

it would reduce his playing time and curtail his development.

I'm of the opinion we should take our transfer kitty and service three positions LB/RB/RM and this it.

finally I'm not blind to babel's shortcomings I see them as well as you.

That, for me, is a very important point: who has left Wenger's Arsenal to go on to sustained success elsewhere? No-one that I can think of (Anelka had one god season in Spain before his career went tits up). Wenger is obsessed with pace, athleticism and skill and it's pretty obvious why Bentley didn't measure up. Like it or not, pace is a prerequisite for top players now.