You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

do you want us to sign David Bentley?

Paco

Do you want us to sign David Bentley?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want us to sign David Bentley?

• Yes, look what he's done at Blackburn
    • No, he's a good player in a mediocre team

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Independent: Think of pace at Arsenal and you think of Thierry Henry, but I was stunned by Ljungberg's. Make no mistake, he is genuinely quick and uses it wisely

Arsenal Team Of Decade: "Ljungberg’s defining characteristics have always been his speed, tenacity and ability to make late, surging runs into the box to create goalscoring chances"

FIFA.com: "In Svensson and Ljungberg Sweden have arguably the two fastest forwards at USA 2003. "

Goalkick.com: "Last for the midfield area there is the left wing, and the key player in this position, in the ever present Swedish International Freddie Ljungberg. Ljungberg is a great player and can play on either flank but I find him to be more effective on the left. Ljungberg has exceptional pace and has ability to beat his man and get the ball in"

Well-renowned for being EXCEPTIONALLY quick over the first five yards or so.

hmm, good find, okay I will conceed he didn't use his pace how the majority of fans would want our new winger to use their pace.

For god`s sake: NO!

Pennant and Benayoun are better players.

I agree strongly with Paul regarding the need for pace up front and on the wings. Pace becomes more and more important in today`s football and makes it possible to nick some scrappy wins without really playing well.

For god`s sake: NO!

Pennant and Benayoun are better players.

I agree strongly with Paul regarding the need for pace up front and on the wings. Pace becomes more and more important in today`s football and makes it possible to nick some scrappy wins without really playing well.

Anyone who thinks Jermaine Pennant is a better right midfielder/ winger than David Bentley may as well just give up watching football and try something different.

Like suicide.

how? people want a winger to bomb down the wing at pace and cross the ball into the box or drag the ball back from the byline, ljundberg didn't do this and one can only assume because he didn't have the out and out pace over long distances to do this.

You said he had no pace. You were wrong. Let's leave it at that.

Anyone who thinks Jermaine Pennant is a better right midfielder/ winger than David Bentley may as well just give up watching football and try something different.

Like suicide.

If you watched Pennant without prejudice, you would agree.

If you really think Bentley is the solution for us, maybe you should watch some more football.

If you really think Bentley is the solution for us, maybe you should watch some more football.

you'll be interested to know that not only has bentley scored more goals than pennant he has more assists so how exactly is he better?

I think Bentley has far more quality, a better range of passing, more accurate crossing, and scores more goals.

By "more", of course, I mean "some".

Do a poll. See how many people agree with you.

Now, I'm not saying Bentley is "the answer", but he's certainly a better footballer than Jermaine Pennant.

I think Bentley has far more quality, a better range of passing, more accurate crossing, and scores more goals.

By "more", of course, I mean "some".

Do a poll. See how many people agree with you.

Now, I'm not saying Bentley is "the answer", but he's certainly a better footballer than Jermaine Pennant.

:D

you'll be interested to know that not only has bentley scored more goals than pennant he has more assists so how exactly is he better?

Better dribbler, better passer, better tactically, and probably more pace. To give you more reasons I have to watch Bentley more closely, but my gut feeling about Bentley is not good from the few times I have seen him.

Guest TK-421
I'd have thought that someone with as much experience of being wrong as you, would have learned to take it with a soupcon more humility and grace.

I'd have thought that someone with your obvious intelligence would have learned how to discuss football without being an obnoxious cunt.

Going back to your point about pace, I think that playing a wide midfield position is one where pace is probably most important, and generally speaking the players who thrive there are generally pretty quick.

Derek Beckham is a good example of an exception, but there aren't many more.

I don't really have too much idea how fast Bentley is, but he's certainly not quicker than Ljungberg or Pires.

Ok, I take the point re: Pires. All I'm saying is you don't need to be rapier fast to play football well. Bentley is fast enough but more importantly has excellent touch and vision.

Ok, I take the point re: Pires. All I'm saying is you don't need to be rapier fast to play football well. Bentley is fast enough but more importantly has excellent touch and vision.

Pires is a great example of what you should look for in a wide attacking player. That lad had everything and after a slow start, turned into one of the best Premiership wingers ever. He was amazing to watch.

I hated him, obv.