You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When was the last time you went to the gym?

Just lash your headphones in, do your thing then get off. No need at all to put up with anyone unless the middle aged blonde sex pot offers you a quick hand job in the changies which of course happens all the time. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If you have a product or service which reportedly more than half of people end up not even using, and in fact, the people offering this product or service are completely fine with this (they probably even encourage this), what would you call this?

At the very least, it's simply not a good product or service.

How may people go on 50 diets a year, break them then try again?  Boss is forcing a gym membership onto people. If they don’t go it’s on them. I’ve still got a Netflix account but barely use it because I’ve got a dodgy stick (hello officer) that has everything on it. That’s my fault for not cancelling it not Netflixes. 

If I spend a hundred quid on a pair of shoes but never wear them it’s not Dune’s fault it’s mine. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If you have a product or service which reportedly more than half of people end up not even using, and in fact, the people offering this product or service are completely fine with this (they probably even encourage this), what would you call this?

Ultimately let's say that doesn't fit the definition of a scam, ok fine. At the very least, it's simply not a good product or service and it's obviously not the best place for most people to go exercise.

falafel-gifalafel-hazfalafel-icanhasfala

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Ultimately let's say that doesn't fit the definition of a scam, ok fine. At the very least, it's simply not a good product or service and it's obviously not the best place for most people to go exercise.

It's not a scam, and just because some people don't use gyms that doesn't make gym's a bad product or service. 

If you don't like going to gym's then fine, but plenty of people do, and if others pay for them but don't go then that's on them. You seem to have some weird beef with gym's!

2 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Plenty of gyms are full of utter twats to be fair. Tried one near me and I was the only person without a gold chain, neck tattoo and injectable tan. You'd literally go on a machine or piece of equipment and someone would pop up " you gonna be on that long".

You tend to find a few different sorts of gyms. Commercial ones, wannabe gangster ones, ladies only and old school non chain ones which in my view are the best.

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I'm quite keen to avoid. 

They do seem to be making it slightly less horrific for women now, which is good.

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

It's not a scam, and just because some people don't use gyms that doesn't make gym's a bad product or service. 

If you don't like going to gym's then fine, but plenty of people do, and if others pay for them but don't go then that's on them. You seem to have some weird beef with gym's!

I never said I don't like going.

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No one has refuted a single point of mine other than to say that it's people's own fault for paying for something that isn't for them. 

Well yeah. That’s clearly the main point here. The gym aren’t limiting access for people. 

4 hours ago, bossy said:

It took me 55 years to even enter a gym. I just go the local Pure Gym chain. It’s open all the time, no one hassles you or even takes any notice of you. Turn up run for half n hour in a steady environment, leave feeling better than when I went in. I don’t see the scam. If you pay and don’t go it’s on you. 

55 years, Nightmare that mate, was it the finger print ID you were having an issue with ??

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The gym is a hilarious place.  A large portion of people who spend time and money to go, do stuff they could be doing outside for free. Like cardio. Unless you have and follow a clear weight lifting program and you need specific equipment/can't afford a home gym, it's a scam.

Yeah kind of think it's pointless if you're only after doing cardio unless you can't run with fucked knees etc.

It seems the gym is the cool thing with the kids these days, always groups of the fuckers messing around and hogging everything, do I bully them to discourage further participation?

"Why don't you just smoke and take drugs instead?"

17 hours ago, bossy said:

Yesterday. I went 3 times a week till last winter when I was as miserable as the weather and couldn’t be arsed. Started again this month. I go for cardio, I’m not legging it round outside in the pissing rain jumping over dog turds and shitty paving. Makes me feel good when I’ve been.

Same, i'm now in my early 50's so my go to was the treadmill as the uneven road surfaces by mine played havoc with my joints. Problem is that i've developed what i assume is achilles tendonitis which comes and goes but mainly doesn't seem to go away (i've read it can take up to 6 months to heal fully) so i am looking for something else to do in the gym. I've tried the cross trainer and i find it incredibly tedious and i never feel as "sweaty" as i do after 30 minutes on that as i would do after a 30 minute run on the treadmill. I guess i am going to have to bore it out until the achilles (pardon the pun in advance) heals.  

3 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Same, i'm now in my early 50's so my go to was the treadmill as the uneven road surfaces by mine played havoc with my joints. Problem is that i've developed what i assume is achilles tendonitis which comes and goes but mainly doesn't seem to go away (i've read it can take up to 6 months to heal fully) so i am looking for something else to do in the gym. I've tried the cross trainer and i find it incredibly tedious and i never feel as "sweaty" as i do after 30 minutes on that as i would do after a 30 minute run on the treadmill. I guess i am going to have to bore it out until the achilles (pardon the pun in advance) heals.  

Bike or rowing mate. Shouldn’t be as bad. 

17 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's cool that it works for you but generally speaking, the gym is absolutely a scam. There's numbers out there that something like 65% of gym memberships are unused. The majority of people simply view it as some sort of obligation that they end up not even doing.

In reality, the gym is like any other activity; it's a hobby. You will go to the gym if you like going to the gym. For many people, it's clear there are better ways to exercise.

I think it's more a problem with the people than the gym really. People join thinking they NEED to go the gym when they should find something they like.

As you say if it's a hobby you'll go, I do actually enjoy it so there's no battle getting there. The only thing now is gyms are packed if you go after work so I have to force myself to go first thing.

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No one has refuted a single point of mine other than to say that it's people's own fault for paying for something that isn't for them. 

You have been talking absolute bollocks on this subject, but of course you won't or can't admit it.

You called it a scam FFS and claimed it is not the best place to exercise for most people or something along those lines, but hey it's you - it's your 'thing'

It's cool.

I had an exercise bike in the house here. Not an expensive one, hundred quid or something. It never got used, ended up being one more thing that needed dusting. I flogged it on Facebook a while back.

Now I’m trying to lose weight I reckon I’d have been using it but, alas. I’m not cut out for going the gym. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Bike or rowing mate. Shouldn’t be as bad. 

I've got an expensive(ish) road bike that i got on last week for the first time in about 8 months, but the gears or chain kept "slipping" so i only got about half a mile and jibbed it. It's an absolute ballache getting ready for a bike ride in Winter too (yeah, i go full lycra) so i may just go to the bike shop about half a mile from ours and see if they can have a look at it.  Will deffo have a go on the rower though if all else fails. Cheers Stig.      

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I had an exercise bike in the house here. Not an expensive one, hundred quid or something. It never got used, ended up being one more thing that needed dusting. I flogged it on Facebook a while back.

Now I’m trying to lose weight I reckon I’d have been using it but, alas. I’m not cut out for going the gym. 

Borrow Simon's one

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Total Longo said:

I've got an expensive(ish) road bike that i got on last week for the first time in about 8 months, but the gears or chain kept "slipping" so i only got about half a mile and jibbed it. It's an absolute ballache getting ready for a bike ride in Winter too (yeah, i go full lycra) so i may just go to the bike shop about half a mile from ours and see if they can have a look at it.  Will deffo have a go on the rower though if all else fails. Cheers Stig.      

I meant the bike in the gym mate. I use the courses on it, gets the sweat going if that’s what you’re after. The cross trainer is for birds haha 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I meant the bike in the gym mate. I use the courses on it, gets the sweat going if that’s what you’re after. The cross trainer is for birds haha 

Aye me too, got myself a BTEC in Spanish.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Joining and going to the gym is purely voluntary. I'm not sure Stacks understands what a scam is. It's not like someone has joined up, paid and when walking through the front door they've ended up in a public loo. Fucking stupid 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

You have been talking absolute bollocks on this subject, but of course you won't or can't admit it.

You called it a scam FFS and claimed it is not the best place to exercise for most people or something along those lines, but hey it's you - it's your 'thing'

It's cool.

A large percentage of people are paying for something they then don't deem is worth using. But yeah no, there's just no issue there.

3 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Joining and going to the gym is purely voluntary. I'm not sure Stacks understands what a scam is. It's not like someone has joined up, paid and when walking through the front door they've ended up in a public loo. Fucking stupid 

Yep if you're too lazy go to a gym you've paid for you'll probably be too lazy do 'free' exercise

3 minutes ago, skend04 said:

It's a scam in the sense that "the gym" has basically been marketed as synonymous to exercise. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I know mate, i just meant i don't see the point in using a static bike when i have a perfectly good one at home. You're deffo just doing the spin classes just for a perv aren't you?