You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When was the last time you went to the gym?

4 years ago. Overdone it on the rowing machine and got an umbilical hernia.

Exercise is not good for you. Consider how many heartbeats the human heart is designed for and then try and use them up quicker by running around in lycra like a cunt.

So, all the while you think you are improving your resting heart-rate down to 50 bpm whilst doing 130bpm exercise....its plain stupid.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Exercise is not good for you. Consider how many heartbeats the human heart is designed for and then try and use them up quicker by running around in lycra like a cunt.

So, all the while you think you are improving your resting heart-rate down to 50 bpm whilst doing 130bpm exercise....its plain stupid.

Exercise is good for you. The trick is to find the type which benefits yourself. Rowing obviously isn't yours!

The gym is a hilarious place.  A large portion of people who spend time and money to go, do stuff they could be doing outside for free. Like cardio. Unless you have and follow a clear weight lifting program and you need specific equipment/can't afford a home gym, it's a scam.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

The gym is a hilarious place.  A large portion of people who spend time and money to go, do stuff they could be doing outside for free. Like cardio. Unless you have and follow a clear weight lifting program and you need specific equipment/can't afford a home gym, it's a scam.

It's almost impossible to do the stuff outside that you do in a gym in most places You live in a land of snow and we live in a land of constant rain. If you choose not to do it then good for you. I'm really glad I do as it's helpful to me in a lot of ways. You also wouldn't see the amount of fit ladies in tight fitting clothes anywhere else. Even if the exercise doesn't raise your heart rate the sight of those fine young ladies will.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I take it you've been blacklisted from your local gyms then.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I used to do a fair amount of running, but for 4 months of the year here, the weather's so shit, it's not practical- one time I nearly fell into the road after slipping on a frozen dead mouse. Not only can't people afford a home gym, but most people don't have the room for one. I use a cross trainer, a rowing machine, a fixed bike and half a dozen fixed weight machines. If I wanted to, there are a dozen treadmills, free weights and racks and step machines and the staff there will happily draw up a regime to follow. In addition, my sub also covers swimming, spin classes, a number of Les Mills fitness and aerobics classes and- if I can be arsed- climbing, yoga, Tai Chi, ice skating, curling, badminton, basketball and access to a sauna. At £26 a month that doesn't seem like a scam to me, considering I'd need a garage conversion and several thousand pounds worth of equipment to replicate it without the social aspects.

8 hours ago, Clem H Fandango said:

You sound like my dad when he used to give out to us as kids when we'd mess with a switch, handle, button etc... 

"that's only made to last so many flicks, so stop messing with it" 

I think you're wrong, but super analogy! 

I go myself, I try to go 3 times a week, but with work and young kids I do find that hard to do. 

Personally just do weights and a few light cardio tabata things. I've a dodgy knee so I'm not running, not a hope. 

• Upvote 1

Yesterday. I went 3 times a week till last winter when I was as miserable as the weather and couldn’t be arsed. Started again this month. I go for cardio, I’m not legging it round outside in the pissing rain jumping over dog turds and shitty paving. Makes me feel good when I’ve been.

8 hours ago, Clem H Fandango said:

I (hope) think you're messing about, but increasing your heart rate to 140 bpm for a couple of hours a week is a good trade off for lowering it by 20 pm for the other 142 hours.

18 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I used to do a fair amount of running, but for 4 months of the year here, the weather's so shit, it's not practical- one time I nearly fell into the road after slipping on a frozen dead mouse. Not only can't people afford a home gym, but most people don't have the room for one. I use a cross trainer, a rowing machine, a fixed bike and half a dozen fixed weight machines. If I wanted to, there are a dozen treadmills, free weights and racks and step machines and the staff there will happily draw up a regime to follow. In addition, my sub also covers swimming, spin classes, a number of Les Mills fitness and aerobics classes and- if I can be arsed- climbing, yoga, Tai Chi, ice skating, curling, badminton, basketball and access to a sauna. At £26 a month that doesn't seem like a scam to me, considering I'd need a garage conversion and several thousand pounds worth of equipment to replicate it without the social aspects.

It's cool that it works for you but generally speaking, the gym is absolutely a scam. There's numbers out there that something like 65% of gym memberships are unused. The majority of people simply view it as some sort of obligation that they end up not even doing.

In reality, the gym is like any other activity; it's a hobby. You will go to the gym if you like going to the gym. For many people, it's clear there are better ways to exercise.

The 'best' exercise for anyone is the one they choose to do and enjoy doing and are able to do regularly and consistently.

Whether that is in their garage, their bedroom, a local field, a gym or in their ma's basement inbetween slagging everything and everybody else off on the internet - it does not matter.

What matters is they are doing it, getting the benefits of it physically and mentally and enjoying it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's cool that it works for you but generally speaking, the gym is absolutely a scam. There's numbers out there that something like 65% of gym memberships are unused. The majority of people simply view it as some sort of obligation that they end up not even doing.

In reality, the gym is like any other activity; it's a hobby. You will go to the gym if you like going to the gym. For many people, it's clear there are better ways to exercise.

I get that you don't like it and it's not for you but it's great for a lot of us far away from a scam. There are plenty of scams out there but under 20 quid a month to use exercise equipment I could never afford or fit into my home is money well spent. Avoiding heart trouble in a family where I've already outlived one Grandfather is a worthwhile trade off. Most definitely nowhere near a scam. I'd get a better Thesaurus if I were you.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I get that you don't like it and it's not for you but it's great for a lot of us far away from a scam. There are plenty of scams out there but under 20 quid a month to use exercise equipment I could never afford or fit into my home is money well spent. Avoiding heart trouble in a family where I've already outlived one Grandfather is a worthwhile trade off. Most definitely nowhere near a scam. I'd get a better Thesaurus if I were you.

I didn't say I didn't like it and I certainly didn't say exercise isn't important.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

One of the blokes who used to own my old gym trains at my new one ( new is a stretch as most of the equipment is from pre 1990) . He's 74 but still lifts decent weights, jogs and bike rides. He said to me the other week "Everytime I couldn't be arsed training from about 40 onwards I'd look at blokes my age who didn't train and that would push me. At this age even more so".

Was at a do last night - i had planned to leave at about 1030 as had to be up at 6 this morning and had a 20 mile race, i don't drink alcohol so that wasn't a problem - but as i was leaving one of my mates said to me 'i don't know why you bother with all that running and that - going home at half ten FFS'

Lad is about 5 stone overweight and couldn't run to end of his garden - i just looked at him and thought 'no you don't do you'

The thing is it is of course different strokes for different folks and i wouldn't say anything to him about his lifestyle choices, it just irritates me a bit sometimes that he feels need to comment on mine - he gets on my case about not drinking 'it is pointless coming out' in his opinion. Most of the time i ignore it, last night it irritated me, but nothing to be gained from me expressing that to him, especially when he is 6 pints in.

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The prior few posts kind of prove my point. They are talking about exercise, they have little to do with the gym. People often conflate the gym as the only place to do exercise.

Incredible that you are advocating that everyone just sits around stuffing lard up their arse.

Nah, I tend to agree with you. I run, play cricket and football, do some sit ups/pressups/bicep curls/etc at home. Fuck going to a gym and being surrounded by utter twats.

12 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

If people decide not to go to a gym that they've paid for that doesn't make the gym a scam, so long as the gym is fulfilling its side of the deal, like actually being open and providing the facilities it promotes. 

What about companies that sell home gym equipment that people pay for, have delivered and set up but then don't use because they can't be arsed. Are those companies a scam?

If people find or prefer other ways to exercise then great, but plenty of people prefer the gym to running around in the cold streets dodging pedestrians or doing workouts with bags of cement, or can't afford or have the space for a home gym.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Incredible that you are advocating that everyone just sits around stuffing lard up their arse.

Nah, I tend to agree with you. I run, play cricket and football, do some sit ups/pressups/bicep curls/etc at home. Fuck going to a gym and being surrounded by utter twats.

Plenty of gyms are full of utter twats to be fair. Tried one near me and I was the only person without a gold chain, neck tattoo and injectable tan. You'd literally go on a machine or piece of equipment and someone would pop up " you gonna be on that long".

You tend to find a few different sorts of gyms. Commercial ones, wannabe gangster ones, ladies only and old school non chain ones which in my view are the best.

It took me 55 years to even enter a gym. I just go the local Pure Gym chain. It’s open all the time, no one hassles you or even takes any notice of you. Turn up run for half n hour in a steady environment, leave feeling better than when I went in. I don’t see the scam. If you pay and don’t go it’s on you. 

2 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

If people decide not to go to a gym that they've paid for that doesn't make the gym a scam, so long as the gym is fulfilling its side of the deal, like actually being open and providing the facilities it promotes. 

What about companies that sell home gym equipment that people pay for, have delivered and set up but then don't use because they can't be arsed. Are those companies a scam?

If people find or prefer other ways to exercise then great, but plenty of people prefer the gym to running around in the cold streets dodging pedestrians or doing workouts with bags of cement, or can't afford or have the space for a home gym.

If you have a product or service which reportedly more than half of people end up not even using, and in fact, the people offering this product or service are completely fine with this (they probably even encourage this), what would you call this?

Ultimately let's say that doesn't fit the definition of a scam, ok fine. At the very least, it's simply not a good product or service and it's obviously not the best place for most people to go exercise.