You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

55 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

It must have been a very very tough call for the lad, though, in fairness.

Hodgson did turn us into Crystal Palace/WBA/(insert relegation battle team here) there for a few unforgettably horrific months.

Torres was dogshit at Chelsea so justice was done. What still irks me most is that we went out and spunked the money on that useless grock Carroll

• Upvote 1

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Sounds like they already have to the people that matter and it hasn't stopped them so not sure what saying it so Jim White and Paul Merson can hear will make that much difference.

The way I see it:

FSG want to cash in.

Klopp doesn’t want to sell at any price.

Ittihad know this and they keep coming back with improved offers to increase the pressure on Klopp.

Watch Klopp’s latest press conference and notice when he said that not receiving another bid for Salah “doesn’t mean a lot to be honest” … as if indicating that informal negotiations might be happening behind his back.

FSG seem to be happy with the improved offers and still hoping to somehow get it done without pissing off Klopp. 

If FSG come out today and say he is not for sale at any price then the whole story would be immediately closed. They seem to be happy to keep it going.

I might be wrong, but this is how I see it.

I can't see Salah either downing tools or putting in a transfer request. He really loves the adulation of the fans and he knows  most of that goodwill would disappear if he did either.

I'm not sure if it counts as narcissism, but he knows how much he's loved and don't think he'd risk throwing that away, when he knows it would still be possible to move there with feelings intact when they return next year, with the club making a football/financial decision rather than him being seen as the greedy villain.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

The way I see it:

FSG want to cash in.

Klopp doesn’t want to sell at any price.

Ittihad know this and they keep coming back with improved offers to increase the pressure on Klopp.

Watch Klopp’s latest press conference and notice when he said that not receiving another bid for Salah “doesn’t mean a lot to be honest” … as if indicating that informal negotiations might be happening behind his back.

FSG seem to be happy with the improved offers and still hoping to somehow get it done without pissing off Klopp. 

If FSG come out today and say he is not for sale at any price then the whole story would be immediately closed. They seem to be happy to keep it going.

I might be wrong, but this is how I see it.

They could well be talking about selling in Jan or even next summer. 

13 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Torres was dogshit at Chelsea so justice was done. What still irks me most is that we went out and spunked the money on that useless grock Carroll

Actually we bought 2 players if you remember that Jan .Carroll yeah just yeah but we also bought a certain  Luis Suarez too with Torres cash 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Faking no. Agree on the second - and I think losing the AFCON contributed massively to that.

I think 4 of the trad top 6 are owned by American capitalists so thought there might be something more specific.

I agree 100% losing the AFCON would definitely have impacted him.

Just because we see it as an inferior competition that’s a pain in the arse because of its timing doesn’t mean the players see it that way. 

This is very simple in my mind - Salah knows the owners, he knows there’s a price point they’ll ask him to leave. 

He wants the Saudi cash and knows the owners want him gone at the right price (either now/Jan/next summer). 

Why the fuck would he make himself the bad guy for the owners when they were briefing their pack journo’s about how greedy he was being over the contract renewal and were more than happy to make him the bad guy then. 

Hence the ‘boot is on the other foot’ comment. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

I wish we would use that strong position to not only tell them we won't do business with them but also to send our support to all of those their country is wrongly imprisoning and killing. It's a shame everyone seems to think the only response to sportswashing is standing by and letting it happen. If they want publicity, give it to them.

Sadly it is a business. All clubs should get together and adopt this stance. None will which is rather sad. Money is money and it rules everything.

Might be chatting shit here but I always got the feeling that what made Mane and Salah the kind of pros they are was partly down to their, clearly, strong religious faith. You get the impression with them both that they're grateful for what they have and that's one of the reasons I can never imagine Salah downing tools or acting unprofessionally. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

Are Forest signing lookalikes to confuse the fuck out of opposition defenders?

I never noticed how much Hudson-Odoi looks like Divock before.

Hudson-Odoi.png

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 19.40.19.png

There's a word for that and it starts with 'R' and ends in 'ist'.

It's repudiationist.