You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

It may sound strange, but I don't think you can rate this window right now.

If Endo comes in and is at least as good as Fabinho was last season (so, not great but OK) and we buy a better DM (Andre?) in January, then it's an 8.5/10.

If Endo is shown up to be a pretender, a total panic buy that fills out a shirt but is no better than Bajcetic, or we have to regularly play a double pivot of Trent and MacAllister or something at DM just to keep him off the pitch, then it's a 6.5/10. It's still above average, given how good the reload is with MacAllister/Szobo/Gravenberch, but it could have been so much better.

So it totally depends on what he is. I think it's likely he's somewhere in the middle (maybe Lucas Leiva's level?), so I'll give it a tentative 7.5/10.

What's wrong with a double pivot. Creates a great base for Szoboszlai and even Elliot. One of the best things about our new midfield is how flexible the options are.

We're running with a big risk in defence, but the midfield is better suited to protect them regardless of who the nominal #6 is. Just need to cut out the errors.

Overall, due to the talent we have brought in (both of the first buys were 10/10), I'd give it a solid B. Maybe B- with that defensive issue. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, redrosetints said:

In principle I agree. If we’ve learnt anything in the recent past though it’s don’t poke the bear. We’ve got the Mancunian referee mafia on our case, if we said that to the Saudis I’d just expect them to up the ante and bud more, for more players.

just say no thanks and be done with it

Albie_Cianflone_Listening_in.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not happy with the window. Mac and Szobozlai seem 2 very good signings. Endo just a cheap punt in my opinion and Gravenberch I've no idea he doesn't seem like a solution to any issues we have but apparently has tonnes of potential. I easily thought we needed 4 players when the window opened the vast majority did and that was before losing Fabinho and Henderson, I think our defence is a shit storm waiting to happen. We've done the minimum, we may have bought really well with those we have brought in but for me it's short again like nearly every window. I guess the dragging a deal out till the last minute is supposed to create a sense of yes we got it done great window and if you question it well you expect too much but this is a situation born of not doing enough in previous transfer windows. Next year they'll have the Salah money and that will fund the defence.

Szoboszlai - Ecstatic. Phenomenal signing.

MacAllister - Very happy. Great signing, Premier league proven. World Cup winner.

Endo - Dissapointed. Won't say anymore. Will give him full support though.

Gravenberch - Talented but not what we needed (DM). Let's see where he fits & where he plays.

We are still short of a proper DM and a LCB. Given that we knew these 2 positions had to be strengthened and we didn’t get anybody really good in, I’ll give the transfer window 6/10

• Upvote 1

Even with Henderson and Fabinho leaving I wouldn't have expected us to sign more than three midfielders, and certainly not more than four.  So the question for me is whether the Gravenberch money should have gone on DM or CB instead.

It probably should have being pragmatic.  But Gravenberch is a player Klopp has wanted for a long time so he had to take the opportunity, can't blame him for that. And personally I think it's an exciting signing.

But yet again he's had to choose between this or that, when the money should have been there for both.

All reports are if they'd found a defender they liked they'd have signed them so it's not a case of having to choose between a centre back or Gravenberch it's just the expectation for what the club were looking for in a CB and what supporters were was different (much like what the two parties wanted from the midfield signings).

We wanted a starting calibre (or just below) level centre back and a good defensive midfielder out of this window, a defensive midfielder never seemed to be a consideration for Klopp who was looking at a range of versatile 8's until Fabinho went and it forced his hand.

Even next summer I don't think we go huge on centre backs, depending on Gomez, we'll sign one Konate level CB to replace Matip, maybe they'll go back to what they were looking for this summer and pick up promising young defender depending on Quansah's development but it won't be a midfield level rebuild unless Van Dijk has a Fabinho level decline.

We've still got a few more days of bollocks about PIF buying Mo for the Saudi league for massive money and placing him at Al-Ittihad (it's definitely not the Saudi club themselves pushing for a deal). I'm not saying it can't still happen but Jurgen and the club have thus far been adamant that he's going nowhere, and no credible stories have emerged saying that Mo (or his agent) want to do the deal. Sky and that Chelsea shill Romano in particular are desperate for it to happen, but there is really no benefit for us to let him leave before next summer.

If we did a deal in the next few days, we'll have a load of money in the bank but be shorn of our most reliable source of goals, with no replacement possible until January and clubs everywhere hiking up the price of our targets because they know we are awash with cash.

When we sold Coutinho for massive money, we made sure the Virg deal was locked in first. We were already paying a premium to compensate for tapping up Virg, so if we'd announced the Coutinho deal first, Southampton would have asked for even more for Virg. We might have had to walk away from a deal and sign a second or third choice option, again for a lot more than we'd have liked as the target's club knew we had all this cash.

A few players I thought would be moving this summer have stayed put. Inacio at Sporting has been hyped up on Twitter but nobody has been linked with him. Is he another Tiago Ilori with a stupid price tag? Gladbach's Kone and Rennes' Thuram were heavily linked with us. Rabiot was linked with loads of clubs but is still at Juventus, as is Vlahovic.

The Saudis have been busy skewing the market, but I think Chelsea are bigger culprits. Just to bring it back to us for a second, remember when we did the Jota deal? We initially tried a deal for around £30m but Wolves weren't happy with the payment terms. They agreed to a smaller down-payment as long as the overall fee and add-ons were higher, so the deal ended up being something like £41m. I think that's what Chelsea have done with all these deals, including Caicedo and Lavia. The problem with it is that it sets a new benchmark for what a certain level of player is worth. 

The other thing with the stupidly long contracts Chelsea are offering is that they are heavily weighted towards the basic salary and very little is incentivised. Also, they are signing so many players that they'll struggle to get them all a game. From the selling club's point of view, it seems daft to accept add-ons based on appearances, as how on earth are these add-ons going to be triggered if the players cannot get enough games because there are so many of them?

• Upvote 2

Jury's out on the end result of the window. If Endo turns out decent and Gravenberch easily integrates into the team and plays well, then it was a good window. Good but not great, as we should have invested in a defender or two.  

Endo is the big question for me as the 6 is so important in the team. Bajcetic is great and will play but he's young and due to his recent injury woes cannot play every game. 

The lack of quality cover on CB and RB will very much depend on as Klopp said LUCK in terms of injuries. Knowing our injury history I wish we hadn't relied on luck and just bought some cover in defence. Surprised Klopp didn't see the same, given our history of injuries and Matip and Gomez being very average the last couple seasons. 

I didn't expect this level of a midfield rebuild this summer so I am happy that way. But then I didn't expect Fabinho and Henderson to leave either. We did what we had to do in that area. Midfield is already 100% better than it was last season.

I never expected us to sign a defender unless Matip left so I am not surprised there.

• Upvote 4

Shipping out players who could no longer run, tackle, win challenges, had no mobility or physicality, who created sod all and who were pretty much incapable of playing 2 or 3 games a week at a high level anymore as well as shipping out a couple of permacrocks, and bringing in youth, legs, mobility, progressive attitudes to their play and more robust players can only be seen as a very, very good thing.

I like our midfield business this summer - a lot.

• Upvote 7

If Salah stays this then the club have have done well in face of fierce competition and no CL to bring in 4 new faces who on the face of it are quality players . How they gel , how injuries play out and how Klopp lines up his squad will play out in the coming months so I’ll just wait and see rather than shoot down a rabbit hole to try and predict where all these changes will lead

17 minutes ago, an tha said:

Shipping out players who could no longer run, tackle, win challenges, had no mobility or physicality, who created sod all and who were pretty much incapable of playing 2 or 3 games a week at a high level anymore as well as shipping out a couple of permacrocks, and bringing in youth, legs, mobility, progressive attitudes to their play and more robust players can only be seen as a very, very good thing.

I like our midfield business this summer - a lot.

Thank duck someone who watched same same shitshow I was watching last year . I would say it even better than good because we wouldn't have got Gavenberch if Henderson had sat out his contract . I am totally made up with the business and maybe just maybe we have some defensive talent in our youths or those who are out on loan . Let's get a look before we buy the next big thing from Portugal 

• Upvote 3

I wonder if we will go back in for that Andre in January as his price will be around £20m due to Fluminense wanting to keep hold of him for the Libertadores. Thiago is injured again and hasn't played since mid February. 

Desperate for a centre back as Matip was injury prone 5 years ago so won't improve now fitness wise. Konate out of Sundays game now too. A defender in January is a must. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Szoboszlai - Ecstatic. Phenomenal signing.

MacAllister - Very happy. Great signing, Premier league proven. World Cup winner.

Endo - Dissapointed. Won't say anymore. Will give him full support though.

Gravenberch - Talented but not what we needed (DM). Let's see where he fits & where he plays.

We are still short of a proper DM and a LCB. Given that we knew these 2 positions had to be strengthened and we didn’t get anybody really good in, I’ll give the transfer window 6/10

Pretty much this I’m afraid the Endo signing in a critical position we badly needed to strengthen is something I hope we don’t regret I’m intrigued by Gravenberch and how we slot him in the team though got the potential to be a great signing it’s very much feels like a 6/10 window 

11 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I wonder if we will go back in for that Andre in January as his price will be around £20m due to Fluminense wanting to keep hold of him for the Libertadores. Thiago is injured again and hasn't played since mid February. 

Not sure if we will, impression is that Andre was the Gravenberch alternative but if they want to maintain the Midfield numbers maybe they'll do what they did with Diaz and Gakpo and bring in Andre in anticipation of Thiago leaving in the summer.

Don't think they'll fight for him if the interest increases and the price goes back up towards his release clause though.

5 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

I'd take these 4 over 1 Bellingham.

This is where I am. Would've loved Bellingham but we've got 4 internationals for the same price, give or take. 

Endo, ok not one anyone (except me and @El Rojo) saw coming but he can't offer less than Hendo and Milner last year 

Szlob and Macca have had a good start and Gravenberch has potential. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I'd be confident we can cope without Salah. When we lost Tores, Suarez etc we didn't have much other attacking quality in the squad but we've got plenty now. He's 31 and he was a shadow of his former self last year. We could replace him with a young player, or just get Doak in there. Really not worried.

I don't think people understand what they are saying when they talk about Salah and his output. Salah had 46 goals contributions in all competitions last season. 46. 30 goals, 16 assists. As an apparent "shadow" of his former self. The idea that you can cope just fine minus that is laughable. No one in the EPL gets those kinds of total goal contributions in a supposed bad season, no one even gets near that in a great season apart from one or two. Now you might say well much of those contributions will be recouped by whoever we decide to play in that position or spread across the team. If we for example were to play Szoboazlai there, and he gets even half those goal contributions across the season, that would be an incredible effort, but I wouldn't expect that. You aren't just going to spread 46 goal contributions across the team or anything really close to it. It would be an enormous loss of offensive firepower. Replacing Salah moving forward will easily be the biggest challenge the board will face in the Klopp era.

• Upvote 5