You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'd be confident we can cope without Salah. When we lost Tores, Suarez etc we didn't have much other attacking quality in the squad but we've got plenty now. He's 31 and he was a shadow of his former self last year. We could replace him with a young player, or just get Doak in there. Really not worried.

While I don’t want us to sell him, I do agree. We still have Nunez, Jota, Diaz, Gakpo and an emerging Doak. Szoboszlai can also play there (could we do like Madrid did with Valverde?).

I’d expect whoever we signed for that position to stick in 15 league goals regardless. We create so many chances. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

We've got a 30 goal a season striker sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs and a player who has been playing that right wing position like a machine in the first three games overlapping Salah.

If the worst comes to the worst we can just patch it up for 4 months and see where we are.

The problem with letting Salah leave now is not even the sporting aspect, it's that we've been saying all along he's staying.

You can't go back on your word like that as a club. People will know in the future, you will fold.

• Upvote 3

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

See above about downing tools, then moving in January.

Salah is nothing like Suarez. At all.

Coutinho downed tools for about a week and then went on to play the best football of his career until Barca ruined him. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

The problem with letting Salah leave now is not even the sporting aspect, it's that we've been saying all along he's staying.

You can't go back on your word like that as a club. People will know in the future, you will fold.

For what sounds like a world record fee. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

While I don’t want us to sell him, I do agree. We still have Nunez, Jota, Diaz, Gakpo and an emerging Doak. Szoboszlai can also play there (could we do like Madrid did with Valverde?).

I’d expect whoever we signed for that position to stick in 15 league goals regardless. We create so many chances. 

Could Trent even play there?

* Ducks.

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The point the entire time is his position is disingenuous and not to the club's best interest. And he and his agent know this and know it will become about FSG if they just keep their traps shut long enough. That is the narrative that suit both Salah and the Saudis.

Make of that what you want.

BTW you don't have to agree, but it seems difficult to position otherwise.

Player looking for club interest ahead of his own. Happens all the time in professional football eh?

The Saudi money is not about to dry up.

This time next year they'll be back with an even bigger chequebook and it'll then be the right time to sell imo.

Mo is as fit as a lop and he is seen as the jewel in the Saudi league's crown, tell them to come back next summer and the bidding will start at £150m.

26 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

He’s gonna stay, score both in a 2-0 win on Sunday, kiss the badge, we’ll all be singing his song and it’ll all be forgotten about. 

Hopefully. 

Not even I expect the owners to make Klopp look such a cunt and sell Salah against his wishes. 

I was all in on your post until the bit I bolded, then I knew it was fairytale stuff. 

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

What choice do they have if the player keeps fluttering to the buyer?

Keep a guy whose head has been turned - fundamentally against what Klopp believes?

What is the choice?

The player is professional enough to keep playing at the highest standard until his contract expires or the club decides to sell.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Welcome to football and business.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He missed a month off the bat, then a further 3 weeks.

There was an international break, he missed like 2 games and the he signed for Barca but missed 3 weeks for them because he was genuinely injured. 

From Leicester on 23rd September (he was in previous squads) until he signed for Barca on 6th January, he played out his skin. 

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Saudi money is not about to dry up.

This time next year they'll be back with an even bigger chequebook and it'll then be the right time to sell imo.

Mo is as fit as a lop and he is seen as the jewel in the Saudi league's crown, tell them to come back next summer and the bidding will start at £150m.

They will be back but the money won’t be as high. Signing him now is worth approx an extra £60-70m

Just now, Jurgen Knows said:

The player is professional enough to keep playing at the highest standard until his contract expires or the club decides to sell.

Which is what Saurez did.

The only difference is he then:

Barcelona[457]

Atlético Madrid

Other than that they are similar.